Login |  Register |  FAQ

Britcon 2017 11-13th August, UMIST Manchester

Post subject: Re: Britcon 2017 11-13th August, UMIST Manchester
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Results are in the database.

Thanks to all the players for making this another fun event.

Wasn't until I was inputting the scores that I realised it was the 10th time Epic has been played at Britcon, would have made a bit more fuss had I spotted that!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well nothing wrong with an 11 year anniversary :)

Personally I would not go that far in any changes but the timings do make it difficult - for me it is simply the commitment of several days away from the family coupled with the cost. Every year I look to see if I can do it, maybe staying with relatives, but the timings make it impossible unless you can get there it time and then stay in Manchester. I have no problem playing into the evenings once you're actually there though.

Whether britcon can be tweaked I don't know. The events that are co-located with shows etc are always tricky, having to balance so many conflicting priorities and the diverse preferences of attendees.

The team event is an interesting one. Perhaps the format is a factor (rightly or wrongly it does feel slightly exclusive for people without a regular group, but for me personally, mainly it's that I don't really want to drag someone else down). But to some extent expo is also a victim of its own success with it now being difficult to get accommodation nearby. The hassle of accommodation, greater expense this year (buying show and tournament ticket) and uncertainty of whether it would end up running meant I didn't prioritise it in the calendar. In another year it's quite possible I would have gone though.

When it comes down to it, if you cannot attend every tournament, you inevitably compare them against each other when choosing which to attend. So some are always going to win out over others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BTW if I were to suggest anything it would be to make it 5 games (3/2) with a later start on the Saturday (implying the last is post-dinner), effectively making the Friday game an optional theme game. No idea if that actually is possible with the venue, location, food etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

By the way, anyone got any reports to share? 4K competitive games are pretty unique so it's rare to see how these different lists fare.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The current Sat schedule calls for the second round to start at 08:15 and the fourth round to finish no later than 20:00. A long enough day I think.

That said all the games were completed under time, not game running longer than 3 hours and most done in around 2.5.

I really don't think taking a longer break for dinner between game three and four would work. I can't see people wanting to back to a game having eaten a evening meal.

I understand that six games at 4K points over effectively three days isn't for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It took me several years before I went to Britcon, but find it a good tournament to fit in & the wife likes the time away from home.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Overall it's still my favourite tournament of the year, and rather like the current format. Ended up bringing Charlotte this year and we've bolted on a week in the Lake District, which has worked out quite nicely. Even the weather is starting to behave now!

I'll see about getting some batreps up when I get an opportunity :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My very brief review of the weekend

https://mephistonag.wordpress.com/2017/ ... tcon-2017/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Finally got a chance to sit down and put down some brief reports on the games, although a week on i may be a bit off here and there!

I took the same Tau force as last year in the end, as i didn't have a lot of painting time, and didn't want to subject everyone to the Krieg (Good thing too given Mike brought them).

Game 1: Joe (Marines)
With 2 marine players in the field i was pretty apprehensive, Tau really don't tend to get on well against armies that can air assault. I bunkered up for a lot of the game and tried to take out units where i could. The Kroot were pretty damn good in this game, breaking two warhounds and taking out a scout unit, along with breaking the remnant of a dev squad. Good work there kroot! This was key to the game in the end, as i was able to trap Joe's BTS in a corner with Tetra's after he had some poor activations for his two air assaults, stopping him contesting some key objectives and take a 2-0 in turn 3.

Game 2: Tim (Necrons)
This is another less than ideal matchup, as the hammerheads are a bit lacklustre against monoliths thanks to lance being useless against living metal. Still, mainly thanks to some sub-par armour saves from Tim i managed to decimate his Monoliths, taking him down to 3 portals (including his back line) by turn 3. Tim's Spacecraft and pylons were also less than ideal, as i had limited air and no war engines, so that did hamstring him a bit, plus my spacecraft had some shiny pylons to shoot at! While i couldn't take down his BTS, especially after a few failed activations, i was pretty happy again taking a 2-0 in turn 3.

Game 3: Tom (Marines)
Blood Angels this time, with an unusual for Marines in a full terminator unit with landraiders. I was a bit concerned he might stick it in his landing craft and go for a hard air assault on me, but Tom decided not to risk my AA and run it on the ground instead. Some pretty lacklustre shooting in turns 2 and 3 meant i just ignored it in the end, and carried on picking on smaller activations, which really paid off in the end when i was able to take the blitz and another objective for another 2-0 in turn 3.

Game 4: Mike (Krieg)
Last year this went pretty well, unfortunately this time around things went a bit pear-shaped. Mike resolutely refused to not rally pretty much everything each turn, and for guard (especially plinked guard) was successfully activating with distressing regularity. My army fell to bits in turns 3 and 4 when nothing rallied and Mike was able to roll onto my blitz. Still, i did at least manage to take down his BTS. His Artillery though was the absolute bane of my existence, and was making a mess of my army. Turn 1 should have said it all when he sniped out my supreme commander with his first shot and that kinda set the scene for both units all game. I should have possibly tried lighting them up with tetras, but it's not easy when you're out-activated and have gorgons breathing down your neck! 3-1 to Mike, and he's definitely got running the list down to a tee now.

Game 5: Steve (Ulthwe)
Possibly the most cagey game i've ever played. I thought it was going to be a wash after steve's first activation saw his spacecraft break 3 of my activations on some pretty epic rolling, but instead his entire army was sat behind terrain, and basically went onto overwatch. I did kinda the same back, but popped up (yay longer ranged guns!) and the first two turns were something of a mexican standoff. This worked well for me however, as it gave me a chance to rally the earlier broken units. Things finally started moving (cautiously) in turn 3, when we both started finally moving forward somewhat, and then got bloody in turn 4. Steve had a bit of bad luck with an air assault that got shot down though, which left him at a bit of a points deficit for a winning draw to me. I'm still quite surprised he didn't go ham after the success of the spacecraft though, as i think he could have rolled me early on while he had the heavy activation advantage, especially if he'd pressed a flank hard.

Game 6: Dave (Tyranids)
Gah! Bloody genestealers! next time i play Dave i'm just going to shoot the little buggers, as despite going into assaults 2-3 up, i lost every single one. This is however a bit of a recurring theme against Dave's Genestealers, as the fates seem to punish those who would dare firefight them. However, the rest of Dave's army didn't fare so well, and i had an excellent spacecraft run, killing one harridan, and taking the other down to a single wound. The tanks also did a good job against the smaller dominatrix, but the last wound proved bloody stubborn, and i had to put more firepower into it than was ideal before it would go down. This left Dave's BTS able to get out of the line of fire and sit in my half on an objective thumbing it's nose up at me. Despite yet more lack of being able to rally much of anything, my infantry units managed to decimate Dave's assault swarms, and i ended up managing to take his blitz and another objective for a 2-0 in turn 4. Both forces by this point were pretty bloodied though, and i'm glad it didn't go to a turn 5!

Mike and I had been neck and neck up to the last game, unfortunately Tim's Necrons kinda fell apart against the Krieg and mike was able to pull off a bigger win to take the event. Still, i was pretty happy with second place, especially having come up against 2 marine opponents, and i do find the Tau a fun army to use at 4k. Looking forward to next year!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the reports Richard, would really like to use the tau at 4k too. When unit positions and hit rolls go well, they really do exhibit some fearsome firepower