Login |  Register |  FAQ

Any plans for 8th edition 40k

Post subject: Any plans for 8th edition 40k
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I assume many of you are aware that there is a new 40k version being released (rumor says in june).
Generally a new 40k version wouldn't impact EA in any real capacity. This update looks to be the biggest change since 3'rd ed. There has been lits of rumors on rules changes but there hasn't been much said regarding army lists. I would argue that since the rules are moving in the direction of Age of Sigmar I would suggest likely lists and army releases will aswell.
So, what will that meen for us.
1. All current miniatures will get rules at release. Just like the AoS pdf of old minis.
2. At least one new faction is rumored.
3. I'm guessing that just like AoS, 40k will get lots of new minins. Your old ones will still be usable but expect GW to generate more income by shaking up all factions with new releases. Making current miniatures obsolete (even though they still would be usable).

So here's my point:
We will likely get a large influx of new miniatures even to the EA rulebook armies (marines, guard, orks). Being as we are junkies for new models, there will be efforts to integrate these into EA. This will put a big stress on the current lists. Armies will also move to a keyword system.

Here's my suggestion.
Instead of trying to integrate all new models into the existing army list. Create a internally consistent 8th ed list instead of trying to update all the approved lists or even worse trying to create new lists that can incorporate the new additions.

How do you other guys feel? I know there's resistance to touching the original lists. This way we could leave those as is.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Any plans for 8th edition 40k
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I haven't played 40K in 15 years so for me theres no need to incoporate any new models in new lists. I like the lists as they are.
Of course if anyone is interested in making new lists they should go ahead. But I don't think it's a good idea to include them in tournaments very much since power creep will almost be certain (just look at all the new lists being developed in the NetEA community).

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Exactly my point. You can see the push to include newer gear and units in the sautekh and vior'la lists. You can see how new marine lists pop up and each one includes one or more new units.
By making a completely new set of lists that are balanced against one another (the way I hope 30k lists are developed)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's only so much fidelity to a D6 and the specials possible (why D6 should go the way of the dodo but that's another story/kevetch). For any inclusion, irrespective of unit/faction/ect it has to actually be different at 6mm. For example the reason the Storm Hawk will not show up, regardless of anything balance related, is that there's no ability in the EA + D6 set to make it different than the Storm Talon while remaining true to the unit. So any presence of it is purely naming, not stats.

I suspect a TON of anything new will fall within that type of deal.

The presence of multiple Marine lists as "adding a few units" is also a gross mis-characterization. Each is a distinct thematic archetype (marines in a defensive siege, marine tank list, marine air assault, marine spec-ops, marine with relics) and not because we wanted a different toy (though those themes do allow us to include variants that fit). The fact we've got a bunch approved is the case of them being since day one the poster-child for the 40k universe and their popularity in play/collecting/testing.

We'll use the presence of The Kitchen Sink non-tourney list to sublimate anything related to now pretties that show up from GW and their inane design studio. That's where we can safely place them and still allow them to show up in EA. I sincerely doubt we'll actually need to create another self contained continuity for The Gathering Storm era and later (though that being said, an internally consistent campaign book for them in friendly play would be a possibility)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I find Epic to be a more balanced gaming system. Unit list restrictions based on either points, or how many you get for each core formation. Most of these lists are fairly well set, though some are going through developmental changes as they were deemed a little too powerful, or too weak. Squats, Dark Eldar and Biel-tan come to mind.

To me, 40K has always been a system of one-upmanship, where the next codex to come out is superior to the previous one, and people tend to build lists to have kill stars, mass cheap fearless hordes, or some other broken force like a Vraksian renegade massed artillery force I saw with minimum troops, 3 Basilisks, 2 Bombards, 12 Thudd guns, a sky shield to house the thudd guns, and Daemonic allies - many who were flying MC Psykers to engage the enemy.

I tended to come in the bottom 1/4 of tournaments a I built balanced lists, and my tactics, and some good dice rolls were what helped me not be last. I have had more luck with Epic. Although I have had my rear end handed to me a few times in the first 3 Epic Tournaments I signed up for. I had not really played Dark Eldar much, and was only learning the Epic Rules as well, so you expect to get owned by experienced gamers.

Since learning the Epic rules quite well, and also playing more games with both my Emperor's Children, Vraksians and Dark Eldar, I have become more likely to not get tabled now, and possibly get a draw or a something close rather than a complete wipe out.

The new GW minis might be fun, and look powerful, however their transition into Epic will have to balance them out, and their points will have to be adjusted to account for their speed, weapons armour and special equipment' rules like shields, skimmer, etc.

Perhaps in time, the new minis will be phased in slowly, as is usually the way of Epic. Test, rewrite, test, etc until it is approved. Either way, most Epic gamers hate to see things changed too much, too quickly.