Login |  Register |  FAQ

Fan Built Epic Supplements

Post subject: Fan Built Epic Supplements
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought a single thread where supplement ideas could be discussed in relationship to each other would be fruitful at this point.

Background
When Raiders went into print, everybody on the forum and elsewhere was incredibly supportive.  The initial shock and fear of GW shutting things down disappeared quickly and now there are projects brewing in every corner, it seems.

For those who don't know it, I started a non-profit organization called Raiders & Crusaders, Inc. which would not only protect me from the tax liability associated with the printing of the book but would also be a springboard from which other fan-made supplements could be put into print and a great place to focus all the donation efforts.  

Part of the cost of Raiders was a membership agreement with the printer which would cover five books for five years.  This doesn't mean we have to do one book per year, of course.  We are coming up on the one year anniversary of Raiders and book #2 will be out shortly.

Supplements in the works
The following is a list of all the fan made supplements that I could think of and their armies.  I know there are some others I am forgetting, however, so feel free to post what I have missed.  It is important to refer back to this for several reasons.  One is to make sure that we're not making plans around an army list that is already dedicated to another supplement.  The other is to see where volunteers can migrate to make these ideas become a reality.

It would be a shame if we wasted the money that was already spent on the printing membership and allowed the other printing slots to stay open.  I ask that you players/fans get involved in some capacity.  Find a project you like and offer your help.  Some of these projects are large, others are small, all have the potential to be something fantastic.  

Supplement Name: Raiders
Project Leader: Moscovian
Armies: Necron, Minervan (Armored IG), Dark Eldar
Size: Large
Notes: Anniversary date of May 2009

Supplement Name: Siege
Project Leader: Evil & Chaos
Armies:Death Korp of Krieg (IG), Mossinian Rebels (Siegemasters variant)
Size: Small
Notes: Ben is working on getting some final pictures of models, formatting, and waiting on a front cover.

Supplement Name: Xenos (or Extinction, haven't decided)
Project Leader: Moscovian
Status: Preliminary, working on story outline, army lists, modeling pics, etc.
Armies: Thurgrimms (Squats), Demiurg (Squats), Tyranid Phase III, Ordo Xenos (Inquisition)
Size: Projected Medium - Large
Notes: We need one or more dedicated artists to help out on this. Squat artwork is difficult to find!  Playtesters welcome. Contact me if you have any interest in this at all.

Supplement Name: Total War
Project Leader: Chroma
Status: Preliminary, rough ideas sketched out, some scenarios posted for review already
Armies: None
Size: Projected Small - Medium
Notes: Kevin's Epic scenario ideas.  Others have had an interest in this as well and if you have some ideas of your own you should contact Chroma.  This project is unique so far in that it aims to enhance all Epic playing by breaking away from the tournament games.  This project has the potential to be completed quickly with enough people working on it.

Supplement Name:  Black Crusade
Status: Preliminary, most lists are stable, some still new, nothing else done to my knowledge, currently on hold
Armies: Lost & the Damned (Chaos)?, Black Legion (Chaos), Cadian (IG), Ulthwe' Eldar, Ordo Malleus (Inquisition)?
Size: Projected Very Large
Notes: This is the monster project and has the potential to exceed the size of Epic: Armageddon.  With around five army lists, scenarios, modeling sections, painting sections, and fiction, Black Crusade will probably be the most difficult of all fan supplements to complete.   It also will probably be the most popular of all the supplements being proposed due to the popularity of the lists involved and the availability of the models.  While Chroma may be focusing his attention on Total War, you should feel free to contact him with ideas or things you can do.  Modeling pictures, How-To tutorials, original artwork you have found or created... All are important and can be compiled now for use later.

Supplement Name: Unknown
Project Leader: GlynG
Status: Preliminary, discussion, some modeling tutorial started
Armies: Eldar Exodites, ??, ??
Size: Unknown
Notes: This just started.  

Supplement Name: Mean & Green (title is a work in progress I think)
Project Leader: Nealhunt
Armies: Catachan (IG), Blood Axes (Orks)
Size: Projected Small
Notes: Neal's quiet project that I think will have tremendous promise.  I don't have much information other than what is posted above.

Supplement Name: Return to Taros
Project Leader: Honda
Status: Preliminary, army lists being playtested, story outline being worked on
Armies: Tau, Elysians (IG), Other?
Size: Projected Medium
Notes: Honda's move to get these two popular lists pinned down in print.  I don't have much information other than what is posted above.

Supplement Name: Traitors at Barosa
Project Leader: Hena
Status: Preliminary, one list is about stable, others are new, limited backgrounds written
Armies: Scions of Iron, Death Guard, Lost and the Damned variant
Notes: Some basic idea of background with some amount of text written. Problem is no playtesting interest on Death Guard and almost non existent amount of LatD players.  So any interest in trying out the LatD variant or Death Guard armies would be most kind.  Contact Hena and post batreps as often as you can.

Supplement Name: Hive War
Armies: Phase IV Tyranids, Iyanden, ?Catachan?, ?Other Ork variant?, ?Other Marine variant?
Notes: Nothing so far. Just some musings.

I will edit this top post as I get updates from y'all on the projects above and new ones that are added.  It should be noted that some of these projects, as well intentioned as they may be, will probably not make it past the preliminary stages.  Real life interferes, creative ideas hit a wall, interest wanes, and so on.  If you have an idea for a supplement that involves an already slotted army, discuss it with the Champ.  It is possible the project it is part of is going nowhere and things can be moved around.  Don't assume your idea is trashed because you can't get the Army list you want.

That reminds me: feel free to discuss new ideas here, too!

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for posting this list Moscovian, it's very inspiring!

I've got an "EPIC: Hive War" (very working title!) book for the Phase IV Tyranids, Iyanden Craftworld, maybe Catachans if they're not gobbled up elsewhere, and I'd like an Ork and another Marine list in there if anyone has suggestions!  

This isn't in anything but a preliminary stage.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My next project after Siege will be my Titan game, which could potentially be a suppliment at some point down the line. Alternatively a 'Fall of Gryphonne IV' suppliment has appeal.

Siege is currently 57 pages, and that is probably its final size. We're looking at 4 unit pictures & the front cover and it is done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've got an "EPIC: Hive War" (very working title!) book for the Phase IV Tyranids, Iyanden Craftworld, maybe Catachans if they're not gobbled up elsewhere, and I'd like an Ork and another Marine list in there if anyone has suggestions!

This brings up two important points of this thread:
1. Find out which lists are potentially slotted for which books.  Catachans are possibly going into Mean & Green, so you would want to discuss this with Neal.  

2. Don't bite off more than you can chew.  If you have a supplement idea and you want it to succeed, the best action might be to let it pass to somebody else or -at a minimum- find other people to work on it with you.  E&C can tell you first hand how difficult it was working on two supplements simultaneously.  Hive War sounds like a great idea, but how long will it take before you get to it?  I am guessing three years minimum. In the mean time, the Phase IV Tyranids might be requested for another supplement that is actively being worked on.  What do you do?   Open discussion is a must at this point and nobody should feel like a list is off-limits unless it is fully discussed.

There is no official way to conduct this type of effort, but the LAST thing we want is two different versions of the same list in two different supplements.  The Army Champs and NetERC are going to have to work closer together from now on.  A perfect example is the Tau 5.1 list which changed the special rule for Support Craft, but that affects the Dark Eldar as well.  One rule, two versions, what do you do?

It's gonna git tricksy, folks!  :O  ???

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think there needs to be an "EPIC: Heavy Metal" supplement as well, to showcase the various war engine heavy armies... or is that too obvious a "theme"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Chroma @ 27 Mar. 2009, 18:29 )

I think there needs to be an "EPIC: Heavy Metal" supplement as well, to showcase the various war engine heavy armies... or is that too obvious a "theme"?

It's been discussed and IIRC the consensus was that such a supplement would marginalise the War Engine armies making them seem less balanced.

Better to integrate them into other supplement projects.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 27 Mar. 2009, 17:48 )

I have one idea which has been around for a while in my head.

Supplement Name:  Traitors at Barosa
Project Leader: Me obviously.
Status: Preliminary, one list is about stable, others are new
Armies: Scions of Iron, Death Guard, Lost and the Damned variant
Size: Aiming for Raiders ... who knows really.
Notes: I have some basic idea of background with some amount of text written. Problem that I see is no playtesting interest on Death Guard and almost non existent amount of LatD players. Has been sidelined for some time as I've been working on Rulebook conversion (which is still partially undone) and potentially same happens with Swordwind.

So any interest in trying out my LatD variant or Death Guard would be most kind.

One of my semi-regular opponents has used the death guard on and off. They haven't done that well to be honest! Expensive and not overly effective.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Evil and Chaos @ 27 Mar. 2009, 18:35 )

It's been discussed and IIRC the consensus was that such a supplement would marginalise the War Engine armies making them seem less balanced.

You don't think that would be a cool way to showcase your Titan game?

Integration is cool though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Chroma @ 27 Mar. 2009, 18:42 )

Quote: (Evil and Chaos @ 27 Mar. 2009, 18:35 )

You don't think that would be a cool way to showcase your Titan game?

My Titan game is (Mostly) stand alone, it just happens to use the Epic miniatures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Evil and Chaos @ 27 Mar. 2009, 18:50 )

My Titan game is (Mostly) stand alone, it just happens to use the Epic miniatures.

Ah!  I thought it "integrated" with EPIC:A.

Still cool.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It can be integrated with E:A with a little work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Personally i would want to see a supplement feraturing Salamanders and Orkimedes Gargant Big Mob. Perhabs Savlar Chem-Dogs as a third army.
Armageddon Ork Hunters would fit too so perhabs all four armies :) But i could leave this together with Black Templars for a third book (including the main rulebook) with the 3rd War of Armageddon theme.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Key point for me is that all army-lists for any supplement should be thoroughly play-tested.

It's a year on from Raiders and it seems the lists are in need of revision. This is a real shame; it would be better if a quality book like that was stable and current for the long term. The only way to achieve that is thorough play-testing.

It's too late to develop a list after it's been published; if the published book version is not final and balanced, it just reduces the credibility of all such supplements.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here; I just think that it's important to have the whole thing properly done before publication.

(Note: this is not a dig at Raiders, which I think is a great book, and was a major trail-blazing effort. Kudos to all involved!)

My two cents,
Reaver