Login |  Register |  FAQ

Weapon Comparison Query

Post subject: Weapon Comparison Query
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm working on my own Squat list at the moment. None of the existing lists (Thurgrim+G+K, Demiurg, Reloaded) fit how I feel a Squat army should work in the 'modern' universe. However, I'm running into some walls figuring out exactly how some things equate. So I figured I'd ask here.

The Nurgle Plague Tower fits almost all requirements I have for a Leviathan.

Nurgle Plague Tower   325pts
WE 15cm 4+ 4+ 4+
Plague Mortar   60cm   3+D3BP, Disrupt
Rot Cannon   90cm   AP3+/AT5+, Ignore Cover
2 x Battlecannon   75cm   AP4+/AT4+
DC 6, Reinforced Armour, Fearless, Transport (16*)

Basically, how would changing the Plague Mortar for a MW 60cm 3BP affect the points cost?

Pro - No initial save.
Con - No disruption. No extra template (4BP+). No potential free BM (BP6+).

Against some armies, one or the other might be a better choice. But in an approach to a blind game, I can't wrap my head around if they are equivalent, or one is superior, and to what level that superiority takes.

On a second issue, comparatively how would Disrupt+IgnoreCover versus MacroWeapon hold up? Would it be dependant on the BP values, or are BP values irrelevant for that comparison?

Morgan Vening

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Weapon Comparison Query
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 17 Jan. 2009, 21:53 )

I'd say it's better. Disrupt is better only against units with good RA. As being dead gives the BM too. Extra BM is added only in 1/3 of cases anyway so that IMO doesn't count for much.

Only would like for you to use an already existing list though ...

I consider both the extra BM (33%) and Disrupt to mostly be additional bonuses to what I'd consider more important twice surface area (extra template).

As to taking the existent lists, I REALLY dislike the current organizational setups, and while I could make an additional Brotherhood like Khazak or Gharmull, I find some of the points values to be wildy erratic. Demiurg Ironbreakers = Thurgrim Warriors, yet cost 50% more. Mole Mortars with IgCover go 6 for 9 vs those that don't.

Besides which, it's more of a project to work on than anything I expect those outside my group to take seriously. I am just seeking advice for an initial baseline to confront my local opponents.

Morgan Vening

Profile Send private message