Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The Squats: Reloaded

Post subject: The Squats: Reloaded
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Nice job Hojyn and the French, cheers!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Brother-Captain Parzval @ 07 Jan. 2009, 20:14 )

I noticed one thing though, not sure if its a typo or not: it says the Leviathan carries 1 hearthguard or 2 warriors (etc...). Isnt the Leviathan supposed to be able to carry a lot more than 2 stands?

Typo, of course. Copy-paste from the Rhino datafax...  :blush:

It should be 16 units, with Hearthguards counting as 2 units each. I'll fix it when I update the codex.

Yes it is, because now I can't move it. If it's a support formation and not an upgrade it would be totally different. If it had 10cm move there's also no such (broken) trouble.

I thought about it and... well, you're right! It doesn't make sense at all that the upgrade should "paralyze" the formation (and the same goes for the Thunderer Battery, actually). I guess the lack of playtesting shows...  :rock:

EDIT : updated Codex available HERE. Link in first post edited as well.

I'll give it a 10 cm move in the next update.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 08 Jan. 2009, 10:34 )

Would you care to add the english translation into this page
http://www.players.tacticalwargames.net ... ...y+Lists

I gladly would... if I knew how.  :p

I'm not good with Wiki pages, so could you either explain how to add the codex to the list or perhaps do it yourself?

I haven't added the french lists there as I figured I don't want to start adding different languages there as well.

The F-ERC is currently making "codexes" of its own. Once they're done I could translate them it you want (not much translation to do really, it's mainly different profiles and/or army lists).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just wanted to peep in and say I really like this list. Good work.  :agree:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So? Everyone knows squats can't hit... a barn from this dist...  :whistle:

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 11 Jan. 2009, 15:27 )

A quick check reveals at least one thing that I really don't like. Goliaths are giving 3 MW plates to anywhere on board with +1 to-hit. That kind of ability is universally hated thing here :smile:.

Yes, I see what you mean. It's been debated on the French forum and it's probably one the controversial units of the list.

On the other hand, Goliaths have only 5+RA armour, 0 cm move and, more importantly, cost 400 points. They're very fragile to assaults, aircraft and any kind of shooting. If you want them to last more than one turn, you'll have to invest in AA protection and/or bodyguards (Robots, for example), thus making them cost more.

And while they are indeed able to place 3 MW templates anywhere on the board, they'll only do so every other turn, since they're Slow-Firing.

As soon as I have finished painting my Tyranids, I'll start painting and playtesting Squats more intensively and Goliaths will be under strict scrutiny, believe me.  :))

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for this.  I've spent a few days going through this and it's solid work.  It excited me so much that I just completed a 600 mile round trip to retrieve my Squats and playtest them for you.

I intend to do a lot more with the various units against a wide variety of lists.

Golgothan Squats vs Shadow Scorpions - 5-2-09

ARMY CHOICE

First time with the French Codex, so I decided to field a wide variety, choosing one of every Brotherhood and Support formation (except the Leviathan), a second Grand Battery, topped off with a Colossus and a pair of Overlords to bring some much-needed AA power.  Not a spectacular army, but fairly all-round to give a feel of the different units.

BROTHERHOODS

Warrior Brotherhood (225)
+4 Warriors (100)
Living Ancestor (100)
7 Rhinos (70)

Bezerker Brotherhood (200)
Tunnellers (0)

SUPPORT FORMATIONS

Biker Guild (175)
+2 Bikes (50)
7 Trikes (70)
Guildmaster (50)

Robot Cohort (200)

Iron Eagle Squadron (250)

Grand Battery - Thudd Guns (150)
1 Thunderfire AA Gun (50)

Grand Battery - Tarantulas (150)
1 Thunderfire AA Gun (50)

Thunderer Brotherhood (225)
3 Rhinos (30)

WAR ENGINES

2 Overlords (350)

Colossus (500)

TOTAL - 2970 POINTS

My opponent took:

Tactical- Chaplain, Rhinos, Razor-Twin Las, Hunter.  BTS
Tactical- Librarian

Assault- Chaplain
Devastator- Supreme Commander
Devastator- Librarian

Landspeeder

Terminators- Chaplain

Thunderhawk
Thunderhawk

Landing Craft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

DEPLOYMENT

The Scorpions chose to deploy in the quarter filled with lots of ruins, taking advantage of the board's 6" length, and hoping to exploit it with devastating mobile attacks.  Most of the army was off-board embarked on the trio of Thunderhawks.

The Golgothans clumped together, with both Grand Batteries on overwatch garrisoning the objectives, making sure their Thunderfires and Overlords covered most of the army with some AA protection.

Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN ONE

The Golgothans win the initiative roll and put the garrisoning Robot Maniple on overwatch, awaiting the inevitable Thunderhawk Assault.

The Scorpions' first activation is a Speeder Squadron (here proxied with Predators), harassing the right flank of my army, laying down casualties and blast markers on the large Warrior Brotherhood.  And BAM, they retain the initiative and the first Thunderhawk expertly lands taking some AA from the Overlords but suffering no damage, disembarking two Devastator formations into a clipping assault range to lay down some serious FF hurt, with FF support from the Land Speeders.  Nicely set-up assault.

The Warrior Brotherhood lose, (despite getting to re-roll their one), and flee deeper into the bosom of the Squat army.  The marines consolidate into base contact with their Thunderhawk to provide them with some cover to endure the inevitable Golgothan counter-attack.

The pair of Overlords float over and rake the formations with autocannon fire.  The Golgothans retain, wary they have to neutralise the first Thunderhawk before others arrive, and activate the Colossus to blast apart the tightly-packed formations with its deadly Doomsday Cannon.  The Thunderhawk is destroyed, stranding the Marines in the open, and leaving them heavily suppressed.

Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Electing not to send in a second Thunderhawk, the Scorpions' BTS Tactical formation march along the roads to advance on the Golgothan position without becoming too exposed.

The Golgothans keep up the pressure on the right, and the Iron Eagles double over to unleash autocannon hell.  The Thunderers retain and advance up the hill to lend their awesome firepower.

The second Thunderhawk activates, landing on the other flank of the army to pick on the Grand Battery garrisoning my objective.  This goes badly wrong when the Golgothan overwatch fire leaves only two Marine stands alive for the subsequent assault.  They do, however, wipe out the Thudd Guns and Thunderfire, but are subsequently broken and retreat beyond the range of any Golgothan retaliation to become a minor nuisance in further turns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Then the Thunderhawk Transporter (really a Marine Landing Craft) lands down on the Golgothan right, launching a desperate bid with Assault and Terminator formations to knock out the Colossus (the BTS) with assault MW attacks.  

This goes badly, as the supporting fire from the Iron Eagles, Overlords and Thunderers carve through the Marines, breaking the back of the Scorpion army.  From hereon in, the game was pretty much a Golgothan victory, with the hard-hitting Marine airborne formations.  It would have gone differently had the third Thunderhawk picked on the left flank rather than throwing themselves away against the rock-hard brunt of the Golgothans' war engines with their wealth of supporting fire.

My Biker Guild double round to lend a hand with their trikes, but fail to cause any casualties despite 7 MW shots.

The he surviving Grand Battery continues its overwatch, and it's the ...

END OF TURN ONE

Some shedding of Blast Markers, and a selection of rallies.  I can't remember what, I should make better notes.  The large Golgothan Warrior Brotherhood remain broken despite being able to reroll ones.

With the Marine army broken, the Squats mop up, losing no further detachments before getting a 2-0 win at the end of turn 4.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Initial observations from my opponent, observers and myself:

In general

My opponent said...

On the Squat list, can't really find any glaring faults. It's on a par with an IG list, very tough, very numerous and packing heavy firepower. The style difference is the Squats are slightly more mobile and slightly more armoured, where the IG are less armoured but have more long-range and indirect firepower.

Their special rules really help them rally, and rerolling ones is an elegant mechanic that works within the existing framework of the rules (unlike the Tyranids' spawning mechanic).  It also gives them a noticeably different approach to dealing with blast markers unlike Orks with their Nobz, or Marines.

One Squat weakness is no tanks.  There's nothing between a Rhino and a Leviathan.  They lack heavy-hitting heavy-armoured formation like Russ squadrons, which helps differentiate them from Guard and their ilk.

Warlords and Living Ancestors

Hearthguard take up two slots in a transport.  Warlords and Living Ancestors also seem to have the bulky Exo-armour represented by their 4+ reinforced thick rear armour.  Should they take up two slots in a transport too?

For this game I assumed they did, and bought an extra Rhino for my Warrior Brotherhood.

Iron Eagles

It's a bit of a faff having both two autocannons and twin autocannons.  Howabout giving them just three autocannons?

Thunderfires

50 points for a 10cm 2x AA 6+?  Considering you can take so few of them in an army (only one in a Grand Battery, one in a Goliath Battery or  trio in  a Thunderfire Battery) it means Squats have quite poor AA protection.  Especially if you don't want to spend your precious war engine allocation on Overlords.

Yes, one classic Squat weakness is air inferiority.  They've got no aircraft, and their AA units (Thunderfires and Overlords) are very ponderous without much in the way of firepower.  An Ork Flakwagon is cheaper (35/50 points) and more manouverable (35/10cm) than a Thunderfire, while still churning out the same AA firepower.  And Orks can field these in most formations, where they can mingle with other units of the same type to make them less vulnerable.

Air Inferiority is part of the army's character - they're a implacable ground assault force.  They wouldn't have aircraft on the Home Worlds, and a canny general can compensate for it with clever use of Tunnellers, to Iron Eagles and Biker Guilds.  If the Squats fought against an army with no airpower it wouldn't be much different.  But saying all that, the 2x 6+ is laugnable and I think the Thunderfire stats need revision.

Colossus

I really like the rules for the Iron Hawk not taking blast markers.  Good work.  

Overall, very impressed.  Thanks for sharing.

I look forward to trying the Land Train and Goliaths next time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next