Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Blood Axe List

Post subject: Blood Axe List
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:08 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Big wagonz are listed in the stats above. Bommerz are from the orkimedes list available from the epic experimental rules section of the SG site.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:32 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

found it thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:35 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

How do you purchase the drop kanz?

Hmm... That is a most excellent question.  I know I had a method to my madness when I drafted the list but I haven't looked at it in many months.

I think they are simply included in the price of the spacecraft.  They are basically like SM drop pods - without the Deathwind, transporting much cheaper troops, and deployed from a ship with much lower initiative rating.  If SM pods are effectively 5 points per unit dropped, I think Kanz could safely be considered well below that.

I'm open to suggestions.

My current inclination, if people think that "free" is too cheap, would be to add ~25 points to the spacecraft cost and leave them as included.  OTOH, I think Ork spacecraft suck and don't really think that adding the ability to planetfall their troops would be overpowering.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:51 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I have been thinking about this list over the last 24 hours. When I get around to building a force of the Blood Axes, I will most certainly use looted vehicles (a must have) and big koptas, but I probably would not use Drop Kans (not my playing style really, but I like the image of an entire force in big koptas!).

I think that the only really issue that I have with the list is that it seems to play as a 'counts as' force, which is something that I have never been too keen on. It will look fantastic and Orky on the table, but I would like to see a unit or special rule which makes the force play like a Blood Axe force. Currently, the rules seem to be similar enough to standard Orks to make it play the same way.

However, I may be alone in this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:45 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

It will look fantastic and Orky on the table, but I would like to see a unit or special rule which makes the force play like a Blood Axe force. Currently, the rules seem to be similar enough to standard Orks to make it play the same way.

Hmm... The idea was to make a list that is a bit different, but still Orky in feel.  It should have much the same feel, but be just enough different to offer a little bit different experience.

I agree that you could take a generic ork-style force with the BA list and end up with a "regular" ork army, but it offers other options.  That is much the same as being able to take a near-codex version of the White Scars and Blood Angel SM lists or the amount of overlap in all the Eldar craftworld lists.

As far as units or special rules, I'm not sure how to respond.  4+RA tanks (as opposed to wagons or stompas), much broader access to BP weapons, big koptas, Kommando formations, and a viable planetfall option all seem like significant additions to the list to me.  The removal of Stompas and KoS formations also seems significant.

Obviously, the feel is subjective and I can't tell you that you are wrong.  I just don't understand.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:29 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm inclined to agree with nealhunt on the 'feel' issue. If anything I think there are too many special bloodaxe units :;):  If I was designing it I would probably have just allowed Kommando formations... and a few ogryns :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:01 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

And big tanks please don't forget the big tanks.  Thats All I ask for  :D

Speed: 30cm
Type: Armored Vehicle
Armor:4+
Close Combat: 6+
Firefight: 5+
Weapons:
'Uge Gun
Range: 60cm
Firepoer: AP4+/At4+
Notes:
Renforced armor
No transport  (Get off me Tank!!!!)

Well maybe not the renforced armor but the lungbuster needs more respect than the Gunwagonz stats.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:33 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

You're crazy.  No self-respecting ork is going to drive around in a tank with a 6+CC.

Add more GUBBINZ!!! :p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:40 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote (nealhunt @ 07 Dec. 2005 (22:33))
You're crazy. ?No self-respecting ork is going to drive around in a tank with a 6+CC.

Add more GUBBINZ!!! :p

Skorchas!!!!! ?:D

If it has a cool enough or big enough gun they will. ?

After having a grand old time reviewing my new ork army have I have this statement.

My favorite part of the army is the tanks. ?The Lungbuster and the plastic battle wagons from the Epic 40K days. ?

Now my greatest disappointment is that they are treated as gun wagonz for stats.

I say blah and yuck again!!!!

These are tanks, with huge cannons, not well armed mini vans !!!!! ?:p

I want a real cannon. ?I want something between the big gun and the uber weapons the mekboys bring to the table.

Thats why I came up with the 'UGE GUN! orky ?:alien:

Now thats what a lungbuster should be equiped with. ?

What say you orks are you with me.... ?:laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:24 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Quote (nealhunt @ 07 Dec. 2005 (17:45))
Hmm... The idea was to make a list that is a bit different, but still Orky in feel. ?It should have much the same feel, but be just enough different to offer a little bit different experience.

I agree that you could take a generic ork-style force with the BA list and end up with a "regular" ork army, but it offers other options. ?That is much the same as being able to take a near-codex version of the White Scars and Blood Angel SM lists or the amount of overlap in all the Eldar craftworld lists.

Perhaps you are right... I will have a look over it again. Maybe I have just not 'got into' the background of it enough. Still, the suggestion of using Orgryns as additional units may be worth considering...?

Also, looking again, I can tell that I would have a fair number of Stormboyz Mobz and Kommanda Mobz, so this would make it very different.

Neal, when this is completed, I would be very keen in hosting it on the main site. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Neal,

I've already stated that I like the list, however - as others have noted - you're able to make a regular ork army with it.

Now I don't want to drag players by their nose into what to choose for their lists, but I think you'd be better off limiting them just a tad more. Right now they're missing kults and mekboy stompa mobs, right?

What about reorganising the warband? Making the minimum a bit different or something. And maybe have a look at the extras.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:08 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

To give maybe a better description of what I had in mind when I drafted the list,  I operated on the following tradeouts as more or less 1:1. (Lost - Gained)

Mobs:
KoS - Kommando
Stompa - Tankaz

Units:
Battlefort - Big Kopta
Stompas - Big Wagon
Dreads - Lobba Wagon
Kanz - Lobbaz

Deepstrike option:
Landaz - Drop Kanz

I tweaked the Fightabommbaz to include the Big Bommer because it seemed BA in character, and I added the size upgrades to the Stormboyz for similar reasons.

========

KbD:
What about reorganising the warband? Making the minimum a bit different or something. And maybe have a look at the extras.

As above, the extras were changed in that there are no walkers and the new vehicle types were added.  I'm a little hesitant to change the core Warband for two reasons.  First, it's very orky.  Second, there are two other infantry mobs with radically different character.

CS:
Still, the suggestion of using Orgryns as additional units may be worth considering...?

I like the idea, but I think that concept has been written out of the background for a long time.  As I do have designs on eventually submitting this as a real list, I want to keep to the background where possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:29 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

There seems to be different opinions on the flavor and focus of the list, with some people thinking it is okay and some thinking it needs something.  That leads me to think it is close, but it still needs some trimming down to gain more focus (and the attendant play feel).

I'd like opinions on the following:

1)  Cutting Bikes and Skorchas.  Other non-imperial vehicles (specifically, the walkers) were cut.  These could arguably be cut for the same reason.  OTOH, buggies are generic LAVs and there is at least one Imperial vehicle that could work as a buggy (the Siegfried) so I think they should stay in.

2)  Taking the Stormboyz Mob back to the core rules version (with the deletions and substitutions used for the overall army).  I'm somewhat concerned about this from a balance perspective.  I think the 150/250/350 cost pattern might be too much of a discount in general and large formations of scouts can end up being brutal.  Jaldon has used massed Stormboyz to good effect at a straight 25/unit cost.

3)  Dropping Lobbaz.  I added these basically because there are a lot of people who wanted to see a BP version of the Big Gun and a lot of people who wanted stats for their Pulsa Rokkits (finding Soopagunz to be insufficient as a way to "count as").  I don't think they are integral to the list as far as feel, so the question is whether the above reasons are good enough to keep them around.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.  I definitely intend for CS to post it to the site even if Jervis never wants to pick it up official development.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:32 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Hi.

1 - I would leave the buggies and lighter vehicles in. I agree that they are very Orky and I think that the BA would still use these.

2 - NO! Dont take out the Stormboyz! I would rather that you limited these guys to small mobz, than get rid of the option altogether.

3 - If I had to select an option then this would probably be it. I am not sure what they exactly add to the list, but at the same time I am not really sure if getting rid of them would address the specific issue either. I must admit that I am coming around to the list more.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I concur with CS's first and second points.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next