Login |  Register |  FAQ

Winter War 2014/15

Post subject: Re: Winter War 2014/15
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SPACE WOLVES 3950 pts:

I find spacewolves a refreshingly straightforward army to play. They are, simply put, the best spacemarines in the game, and should attack with speed and confidence rather than fiddle about with advanced tactics. Backed by some titans and a health amount of Land Raiders, they are a force to be reckoned with.

This is the list I’m bringing to this game:

Land Raider Company 750
Great Company 950
Great Company 950

Wolf Priest 100
Reaver Titan
(Turbolaser Destructor, Volcano Cannon, Multipple Rocket Launcher*1) 525

Long Fangs*2 500
Blood Claw Bikes 175

Attachment:
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 7089 times ]

As I’m expecting the Tau to take some backseat approach to this game I need to close the distance as quickly as possible utilizing cover as much as possible. Once I get in close with them I’m confident that I’ll clean house quickly.

I just need to make sure that I do not get outmaneuvered by them, as their recon cadre may catch unguarded VP’s in round 2 or 3 forcing a tactical victory for the Tau. My single bike detachment can quickly get overwhelmed, so I might divert a detachment of marines to support the bikes or to protect/snatch VP’s.

For Russ and the Allfather!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The battlefield had hills at two corners creating a sort of valley running diagonally across the table. At one end of the valley was a small wood, a ruined town and some craters dominated the other end of the valley. The objective points were sprinkled across the middle of the table, on the hills, in the craters, in the town and in the woods.

Tau won the roll for table edge, and chose to set up on the end containing the ruined town, as that held the most cover.

Tau battleplan/setup:

Attachment:
File comment: Red stars mark VPs
Tau setup.JPG
Tau setup.JPG [ 802.22 KiB | Viewed 7083 times ]

Tau placed the Riptides as far back as possible on their left flank where the field was most open. Here they could utilize their long range firepower best, and their armor would be strong enough for them to survive for some time against most of what the spacewolves could muster.

The center was filled with the Battlesuit Cadre, the Hunter Cadre, one detachment of ion cannon armed Hammerheads and the Stingray gunships. Both stealthsuit units sneaking forward, securing the VP in the craters.

The hunter cadre and the rest of the hammerheads made up the right flank.

The Mantis was hovering above the ruins in close support of the bulk of the Tau Army.

The plan was to secure the closest VP’s take cover in the ruins and shoot the Wolves to bits.

Space Wolves battleplan/set up

Given time, the Tau would surely fortify the ruins, a firefight with the tau – with them in decent cover would be extremely difficult to win. So it is important to rattle their confidence early. A deep strike with a couple of grey hunter detachments into the ruins, capturing some VPs on their table edge early would probably disrupt their plans and perhaps distract them enough to deliver a second decisive blow with the rest of the army in turn two.

Most of the Landraiders would advance down the center/right of the SW table edge, giving support and hopefully soking up some of Tau fire. The Titan would move around the forest on the SW left, leading a flanking attack along the hills on that side of the valley, snatching up VPs along the way.

The basic idea is pushing the Tau off enough VP’s to win the game, expecting heavy casualties

Attachment:
File comment: Red Stars marks VPs
SW setup 1.JPG
SW setup 1.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 7083 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tau won initiativ, choosing to reinforce the stealthsuits in the crater with a battlesuit command unit (One Shas’el commander with two shas’vre bodyguards).

Wolves, following their plan of attack, moved a detachment of grey hunters deep onto the board capturing one VP in the ruins. The Tau sencning danger quickly seized the other VP in the ruins with the second Battlesuit Command unit, only to be charged by another band of grey hunters. Having placed all of their firewarriors on charge orders to get them into forward positions, the Tau now faced a dilemma as the SW had taken their positions. They needed to rearrange their plans accordingly, ending up in less favorable positions than planned.

Attachment:
Tau Left.JPG
Tau Left.JPG [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 7080 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Situation in the center of the Tau Line at the end of movement.
Tau Center.JPG
Tau Center.JPG [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 7080 times ]

Attachment:
Tau Right.JPG
Tau Right.JPG [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 7080 times ]

The Wolves continued their ‘pincer’ attack moving forward with Land Raiders and Long fangs in the center, while the second wave of grey hunter took up forward positions for their planned strike in the second turn.

In the first fire phase the combined firepower of the Manta, Riptides, Stingrays and Railgun armed Hammerheads put a lot of hurt into the Space Wolves. Almost wiping out a detachment of Long Fangs and destroying a few to many Land raiders. The Wolves were far less succesful, as Tau made most of ther savingthrows.

In the combat phase the Wolves were only partly successful in, killing the shash’vre bodyguards in the ruins, but leaving the Shas’el commander intact to protect the VP for the greater good.

END OF TURN ONE

Tau: 15
Space Wolves: 20

Comment – Space Wolves are following their battleplan and it seems successful, yet the number of casualities are disconserning…

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN TWO

Wolves won initative – Howling across the hills on their right flank another band of Grey hunters attacked the Tau in the craters, quickly overrunning the Tau position there. In the center the wolves pushed forward securing the VP protected by the lone brave Shas’el. Sensing more trouble the Tau quickly struck on the opposite end of the battlefield, pinning the last detachment of grey hunters, and the SW bikes on that flank with their Tetras. It was a necessary sacrifice in order to hinder the Wolves to capture both VPs in the hills on the Tau left flank and securing a possible win.

The Titan strode forward only to be met by the full fury of the Manta. When the dust settled, all that was left of the once proud Reaver, was a heap of smoldering ash.

Attachment:
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 7077 times ]

This marked a shift in the tide of battle. The armies continued their exchange of fire, Wolves suffering more casualties than the Tau. In the end both great companies were broken (the last by only one stand), and the Landraiders were all but wiped out.

END OF TURN TWO:
Tau: 48
Space Wolves: 34

Tau victory!
Savingthrows – Tau made theirs, SW did not. It was a close call! And had the Tau not stopped the SW advance on the right flank, they would have lost 2 more VPS which would have forced one last round and probably a SW victory as Tau units would have begun to break.

Some Combat Pictures:

Attachment:
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 7077 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG [ 852.64 KiB | Viewed 7077 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 7077 times ]

Comments welcome as always!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Using 40K Terminators = Knights ... interesting idea ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's a quick fix, and besides back in the day there weren't that many options.

I kind of like them :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They work well as a substitute unit IMO. Good reports. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

How the heck did I miss this?!

Very cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold