Login |  Register |  FAQ

Eldar vs TAU 3000 pts (solo) - First Blood

Post subject: Eldar vs TAU 3000 pts (solo) - First Blood
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Wife is away shopping with her sister and mom in Copenhagen over the weekend, leaving dad at home babysitting our four year old twin girls. So as any considerate dad would do, I’m planning to start educating the little angels in the finer art of NetEpic wargaming…

The board has been set up with 3000 pts Eldar vs TAU.

Army lists:
ELDAR

Warhost 850 pts
Wind Rider Host 650 pts
Spirit Host 450 pts

Iyanden Ghost Warriors Free

Wave Serpent Squadron 150 pts
Howling Banshees Squad 150 pts
Swooping Hawks Squad 100 pts
Dark Reaper squad 250 pts
Scorpion 250 pts

Warlock w falcon 125 pts

TAU
Battlesuit Cadre 700 pts
Hammerhead Cadre 600 pts
Recon Cadre 500 pts
Riptide squad 450 pts
2* Stealthsuit Cadre 300 pts
Orcha Dropship 200 pts
Mech fireWarrior Team 250 pts

The board is quite small – roughly 3X5 feet. Seen from the TAU’s edge we’ve got a forest on the far left then towards the center two small towns, one on either side of the battlefield. Theres is an open area in the middle and on the left we have a town on the TAUs side of the table, and a large forest on the Eldars side.

Basically I’ll do most of the playing, leaving all dice rolling to the girls as long as they can be bothered. They were quite enthusiastic when we set up the game board tonight – as all kids, they love doing “grown up” stuff. :)

I’ll post a game summary, and perhaps some pictures. None of the armies ar completely painted though.

Some notes on army lists and tactics.

ELDAR
The Windrider Host is indeed the old 3+2 squads of times past at a bargain price of 650 pts. IMO removing it from the basic Eldar armoury was one of the biggest mistakes in the 4. ed. revision. So we kept is as is .
The Spirit host contains 2 units of Wraithgauard as opposed to 2 units of Wraithlords in the original rules. This was done due to the availability of minis back in the day (We can’t all have primarchloads ). The cost is accordingly lowered by 50 pts.

TACTICS
For once the Eldar Army is bigger than its opponents Army. It is also quicker. Normally I would concentrate my Eldar to one area of the board. But since the board is quite small I’ll be trying to attack all areas. I might be spreading the Eldar a little too thin but time will show.
I’ll be making quick strikes down the flanks with Falcons and bikes, moving up the Wraithguards in cover of the Waveserpents shields in the middle. The Scorpion, Wraithlords and Dark Reapers are to provide covering fire.

TAU
Also the Tau is quite different from the official NetEpic rules.
For instance the Fire warrior squads are six man strong. Which leads to two things, the Devilfish comes in detachments of three stands and the Orcha needs to cater for both 4 and 6 man squads, which means it can carry 12 stands instead of the 8 it may carry in NetEpic gold.

The Crisis suit loadouts have been changed around. Today I’ve included a squad of Soulstorms (Flamer, burst) and Ionthunders (Cyclic ion blaster and airburst frag). Also remember that overall the attack rolls are one level higher than in NetEpic gold and the range is longer. For instance Fire warriors are 75cm,1,5+,0 rather than 50cm,1,4+,0. Hammerheads with Railguns have a range of 100cm rather than 75cm and so on.

I’ve given the Riptides a cost of 450 for a squad of three, which may be a bit excessive. Their stats are:

Move: 20cm
Save 2+
CAF +2
Ion Accelerator: 100cm, 2, 5+,-2
Smart Missiles: 50cm,2,5+,0
JetPack, Elite, Shield (fixed 5+ save)

TACTICS
I’ve loaded all the Crisis-suits into the Orcha, and kept it in reserve. I might keep it off board until round 2 before striking deep. The Riptides and 2 detachments of Hammerheads will advance down the center, while the “infantry” (Stealths, Broadsides, Fire Warriors) secure VPs in the 2 towns on either side. Piranhas and Tetras provide cover on each end of the TAU battle-line. The TAU army is smaller than the Eldar and I’ve concentrated it around the center of the board.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Eldar vs TAU 3000 pts (solo) - First Blood
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN 1
The Eldar won initiative and swooped forward according to plan. On their left flank the Windriders were met by a stubborn squad of Tetras, engaging them in close combat. The result was 3 to 2 in favour of the Eldar. On the other flank the jet bikes was met by an advancing force of Piranhas. The TAU skimmers opened fire and the Eldar was all slain.

In the center of the board the last jet bike detachment stormed forward towards the ruined outskirts of a town just about halfway across the battleboard. Suddenly they became aware of some shadowy figures hiding within the ruins. The order to charge was given. As they rushed forward, firing their shuriken, they were met by a barrage of fire as the TAU stealtsuits opened up with their burst cannons. The command Hammerhead also suddenly appeared from a side street. When the dust settled the Eldar had lost 3 bike stands, the TAU 2 stealth suits and the command Hammerhead.

In the center, a couple of crackeling electrical storms appeard out of thin air flinging a detachment of hammerheads around and blocking line of sight to the advancing Wraithguards and Waveserpents. This also effectively hindered the Riptides from doing almost anything.

The Eldar used the turn to move forward, positioning several of their units into good firing positions for round 2. Meanwhile the TAU were able to inflict some damage to their opponents. 2 out of the 3 remaining Windrider detachments failed their morale save. And things were looking good for the TAU.

TURN SUMMARY:
Objectives Captured: Eldar 4, TAU 3.
Broken units:

ELDAR:
Wind Rider Host 7vps
TAU:

Stealth suit Team Alpha 2

END OF TURN 1
ELDAR: 22 pts
TAU: 22 pts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TURN2
TAU won initative.

The Orcha dropped out of the sky, landing in the middle of the Eldar right flank. Two detachments of Crisis suits led by a Sash’el commander and his bodyguards, sprang forth with guns blazing. Killing a third of an Eldar Warhost in the process. The surviving Eldar units in the same sector scrambeled for cover while firing desperately at the newly arrived enemies. Killing a lone Ionthunder stand.

On the other flank the Tetras charged forward following the fleeing Jet Bikes. Then they crashed into a detachment of Vypers. A second wave of Tetras followed suit, supporting their brethren in combat with the Elder Vypers.

In the center things were going slightly different. Waveserpents rushed forward, and a group of howling banshees exited the transports, charging at the second Stealthsuit team who were also protecting a VP in a ruined building. The Stealths fired vigorously, killing a stand of Banshees before dying unspectacularly quick to the female warrior’s blades.

Overhead a squad of Hawks swooped past the Tau line, dodging incoming fire and capturing another VP after a short close combat with a couple of Fire Warrior Stands.

The Dark Reapers opened fire, wiping out a detachments of Hammerheads with blatant ease, while the Yypers on the Eldar flank quickly dispatched with the onrushing Tetras.

The Avatar strode past the midway line gleeing with sangfroid at the onrushing squad of Riptides. The enormous Tau war machines leveled their guns ready to unleash all their firepower into the battlefield incarnation of Khaine…. Then they died in a sudden ball of flame, hit by a combination of Pulse Lasers from the Scorpion and fire from the advancing Wraithguards.

The TAU retaliated with furious anger, pouring barrage after barrage of railgunfire into the line of Wraitguards . But the Wraithguards just kept on coming, not even faltering in their stride.

The Eldar now controlled all objectives less one, and with Tau units being broke all over the battlefield the game was over…

TURN SUMMARY

Objectives Captureds:
Eldar 7
TAU 1

Broken Units
Eldar:

Wind Rider Host 7vps

TAU
Hammerhead cadre 6vps
Recon Cadre 5 vps
Stealth suit team Alpha 2
Stealth suit team Beta 2
Riptide Squad 5
Fire Warrior Team 3

ELDAR: 58
TAU: 12

Strange result it actually does not reflect the situation on the Board. The TAU still have an almost unharmed Battlesuit Cadre on the board, and enough other units to continue to do damage to the Eldar. The Eldar on the other hand are only one casualty shy of having the Warhost broken. So, on the table top it looks more like a draw. However in points Eldar won massively.

The riptides were quite ineffective and certainly not worth 450 pts. Perhaps 350 or even 300 with my setup…

Both father and daughters had some great fun at home in front of the fireplace with heavy rain pouring down outside.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice and good to read...please include some pics.
everytime when I see a new batrep with Tau I am very happy first,
then get disappointed because I see no pics ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

(Nice batt rep.)

BLOG: Epic 40,000
BLOG: Warmaster

Toco's Mod: Allied HeroQuest