Login |  Register |  FAQ

Chaos v Squats 4K Net Epic Evolution Playtest

Post subject: Re: Chaos v Squats 4K Net Epic Evolution Playtest
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:

Excellent!

I never liked how it was always a race to fire your first fire units before the opponent did. There was no sense (or penalty) to do otherwise.

With this rule, you have to choose. Will I wait to fire? Will I survive to fire back? Should I fire now, but if I fail to destroy the target it will fire at me with a bonus!!

I really love how this works! ;D
Quote:

I did find this and the true fog of war great fun and am hoping others do too if they try it out.

primarch wrote:
I played it as being rolled and assigned in the orders phase. Otherwise its too easy for the titan to have it done as it is activated.

So definitely do it at the turns start in the order phase and assign your priorities THEN. Anything else is too easy on the titan player.
Quote:

I thought as much! What a great big cheat I am! :D

primarch wrote:
This was done on purpose. The old paradigm of weapon usage and targeting is dead with these rules. We must think differently now. Weapons work more like their old AT counterparts.

A titan needs weapons for stripping shields now. Also it needs weapons to reliably damage parts of the enemy titan that either hinder its defense or make it easier to hit.

It takes getting use to. We are so accustomed of "going for the jugular" that now we must first incapacitate then kill the titian. Titans are tough dudes under these rules. There are no short cuts.

Those plasma weapons are not the "killing strike". They are weapons to reliably damage locations. Use them at such. You don't aim it at the head, you aim at the shield generators, leg, weapons, etc. You aim to make it less dangerous to you. Once it is incapacitated use a weapon with penetration for the kill stroke.

These rules also make close combat weapons very attractive. Use your ranged weapons to damage, then rush in and strike!!

In fact I'm thinking of a warlord with a plasma destructor and power fist that could do so nasty stuff....

Also, who said the killing blow has to come from a titan?

In my game one phantom was horribly damaged by the warlord, but could not kill it. A hunter seeker missile from a nearby chimerax is what destroyed it!

Remember its a game of combined activations AND combined arms!!
Quote:

That will definitely be a bigger problem if I use DS's damage tables, and for me makes taking a Volcano Cannon even more of a must. Obviously I need to have a good look through the weapons charts for weapons with penetrating damage! On the positive side, this should make the Titan experience much easier to accumulate; under the old system I never expected Titans to see out the battle, now it's a pretty good possibility.

primarch wrote:
I foresee a lot of problems with standard net epic would be solved with combined activations.... ;)
Quote:

This happened by accident rather than design but it was a very happy side effect of changing the system. I can't tell you pleased I was to see the Daemon Engines in action; the Tower of Skulls took out a few Iron Eagles as did the Cauldron of Blood, but the real icing on the cake was when the Blood Reapers put the Collosus out of its misery!

primarch wrote:
Titan alternate rule make praetorians far less intimidating. I believe it makes titans worth the points and the true kings of the battlefield. I am glad it made them (praetorians) less powerful. :)

In my game the warlord survived being flanked by two phantoms and only was destroyed because I rolled a 12 on the reactor repair roll for that damage level.

Barring that extreme unlucky roll it would have survived.

Titans are seriously scary right now and I like that!
Quote:

Me too! I'm glad that the Praetorians don't seem quite as powerful any more, I felt that they really could overwhelm battles in the past. Make no mistake, they are still to be reckoned with!

primarch wrote:
Well, let me put it this way...

PRIMARCH APPROVES!!!

Primarch

Well, it doesn't come much better than that! I'm delighted that I have your stamp of approval, I'm very much looking forward to hearing how your next playtest works out! Good luck!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well Bissler, I thoroughly enjoyed reading (and seeing) your battle report. For someone like me, who hasn't played Epic in any form for a good few years, its chaps like you that bring it to life and really inspires me to stick with finishing off my epic armies, produce more terrain, and hopefully in the future I will get to play these new rules myself! They seem much more interesting than the bog standard rules. Please keep up the battle reports! :)

Can be found on:
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Battlescenedesigns
http://www.battlescenedesigns.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

+psypher+ wrote:
Well Bissler, I thoroughly enjoyed reading (and seeing) your battle report. For someone like me, who hasn't played Epic in any form for a good few years, its chaps like you that bring it to life and really inspires me to stick with finishing off my epic armies, produce more terrain, and hopefully in the future I will get to play these new rules myself! They seem much more interesting than the bog standard rules. Please keep up the battle reports! :)

Praise doesn't come any higher than this! I write these things just for a bit of fun, if it encourages you (or anyone else) to play the game that is hugely gratifying!

You may have noticed that a lot of your buildings and Angel Barracks pieces featured in the battle report. Along with the epic-playing community here, it's guys like you that are helping keep this hobby alive and making my battles look better. Hats off to you both! ;)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
+psypher+ wrote:

Praise doesn't come any higher than this! I write these things just for a bit of fun, if it encourages you (or anyone else) to play the game that is hugely gratifying!

You may have noticed that a lot of your buildings and Angel Barracks pieces featured in the battle report. Along with the epic-playing community here, it's guys like you that are helping keep this hobby alive and making my battles look better. Hats off to you both! ;)

Hi!

Hopefully in the near future I will be able to play a game in one of psyphers creations for me. For now, my old stuff will have to suffice. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hihi great Squat victory....stinky Chaos forces got smashed.
Thats the way I like it
Did you enjoy playing this tiny soldier army?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ha! I always enjoy any game of Epic, Ulric! Sadly I can't live up to the huge forces you like to field!

What do you think of the changes in gameplay? Is it something that interests you?

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Ha! I always enjoy any game of Epic, Ulric! Sadly I can't live up to the huge forces you like to field!

What do you think of the changes in gameplay? Is it something that interests you?

Some parts, yes of course
but I still have to include snap fire, pinning classes, and more.
Its hard for me to do all these changes at once so I will include some of them part by part.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a real problem remembering to snap fire when playing normal NetEpic and never really used it. But it is much easier to remember about with the new system; when vehicles on Advance orders can move, fire and then finish their movement (probably by trying to hide behind cover), it's obvious that you might want to snap fire before that enemy disappears out of sight.

No pressure to adopt these rules by the way, it's just that I was interested what a veteran player such as yourself thought about them! ;)

Cheers!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hey great battle report. i have one question though. where did you get your wind turbines?did you make them yourself and can we get a modeler guide on how to make them?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers Dedhero - thanks for taking the time to read my report and I'm delighted you enjoyed the report!

Sadly my modelling skills are not at that fine standard! I bought these and several other pieces from Angel Barracks (there is a section for AB on the forum, well worth a look). The pieces are first class and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Specifically though, here is where you can buy them: http://angelbarracks.co.uk/OKI.html

Also - welcome to the forum! Hope to hear about your Epic adventures in due course!

Net Epic Evolution Rules