Login |  Register |  FAQ

Hive Fleet Dagon v4.71 vs Tau

Post subject: Hive Fleet Dagon v4.71 vs Tau
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fourth game played with Hive Fleet Dagon v4.71, this time with me playing the Tau list that I met at the last EEC, and with Argol steering the 'Nids.

The list I played has a ton of AT fire, and Argol's Tyranids was almost purely made up of Minor Swarms, and with a Minor Swarm BTS (meaning no Supreme Commander in the list), in theory making for an uneven matchup as the Tau shouldn't have too much trouble sniping the Synapse Creatures out of the swarms. That almost every formation was Skimmers or being transported in Skimmers was obviously really handy as well.

The main challenges the Tau faced in this game was the fact that I've never played them before, and that the list I'd copied has no Supreme Commander.

Tau, NetEA Approved, 3000 points
Fire Warrior Cadre (10 Fire Warriors, 5 Devilfish) 15 350
Etherial - 50
Skyray 1 100

Fire Warrior Cadre (6 Fire Warriors, 3 Devilfish) 9 225
Skyray 1 100

Fire Warrior Cadre (6 Fire Warriors, 3 Devilfish) 9 225
Skyray 1 100

Armour Support Group (Railhead) 4 225

Armour Support Group (Fusionhead) 5 250
Skyray 1 100

Armour Support Group (Fusionhead) 4 200
Skyray 1 100

Kroot Kindred 10 175

Recon Skimmer Group (5 Tetra, 1 Pirahna) 6 175

Recon Skimmer Group (5 Tetra, 1 Pirahna) 6 175

Total: 3000
Units: 11
BTS: Large Fire Warrior Cadre

Gaunt infestation, 3000 POINTS
Hive Fleet Dagon (4.71 TCMD forum) http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... 21&t=32946
==================================================

MINOR SWARM (2-4 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [275]
3 Zoanthrope, Gaunts (5 Termagaunts), Bio-Support (3 Dagon Dactylis)

MINOR SWARM (2-4 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [225]
3 Zoanthrope, Biovores (4 Biovores), Gaunts (5 Termagaunts)

MINOR SWARM (2-4 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [225]
3 Zoanthrope, Biovores (4 Biovores), Gaunts (5 Termagaunts)

MINOR SWARM (2-4 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [200]
3 Tyranid Warriors, Gaunts (5 Termagaunts), Gaunts (5 Termagaunts)

3 Tyranid Warriors, Gaunts (5 Termagaunts), Gaunts (5 Termagaunts)

3 Tyranid Warriors, Gaunts (5 Termagaunts), Gaunts (5 Hormagaunts)

3 Tyranid Warrior Shrikes (Wings), Gargoyles (4 Dagon Gargoyles), Gargoyles (4 Dagon Gargoyles)

INFESTATION SWARM (1-2 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [200]
3 Ravener Alphas, Burrower (5 Raveners)

INFESTATION SWARM (1-2 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [200]
3 Ravener Alphas, Burrower (5 Raveners)

HARASSER SWARM (1-2 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [200]
Harridan, Gargoyles (4 Dagon Gargoyles)

HARASSER SWARM (1-2 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [200]
Harridan, Gargoyles (4 Dagon Gargoyles)

GENESTEALER SWARM [225]
8 Genestealers, Broodlord

GENESTEALER SWARM [200]
7 Genestealers, Broodlord

HIVE SWARM (1-2 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [250]
Hive Nest, Biovores (4 Biovores), Gaunts (5 Termagaunts)

Start of turn 1. I had chosen to play Corners, as I figured it would make it hard for the Tyranids to deploy efficiently, and due to the fact that I had better movement and range. Turned out things became pretty cramped in my corner as well.

HFD wins the strategy roll.

Turn 1, Activation 1, HFD: Minor Zoanthrope Swarm Doubles and fires at the Tetra formation, giving them 1 BM.

Turn 1, Activation 2, HFD Retain: Hive Nest Engages the Tetras, takes 1 BM from OW, 2 Tetras are killed for 2 Termagaunts, HFD leads by 4, wins by 3, the surviving Piranha breaks.

Turn 1, Activation 3, Tau: Tetras Advance and fires at the Genestealers, killing 1 for 2 BMs.

Turn 1, Activation 4, HFD: HFD BTS Sustains Fire at the Tetras with Dactylis, killing 1 and 1 Disrupt hit, 3 BMs.

Turn 1, Activation 5, HFD Retain: Harridan attempts to Advance but fails and moves.

Turn 1, Activation 6, Tau: Railheads Advance and fire at the Hive Nest, killing it for 4 BMs, knocking out the single Synapse Creature in the formation.

Turn 1, Activation 7, HFD: Minor Zoanthrope Swarm Doubles.

Turn 1, Activation 8, Tau: Fusionheads Doubles and kills 3 Genestealers.

Turn 1, Activation 9, HFD: Genestealers Marshalls and moves.

Turn 1, Activation 10, Tau: Firewarriors Doubles and stays inside their Devilfishes, kills 1 Genestealer for 2 BMs.

Turn 1, Activation 11, HFD: Minor Warrior Swarm Marches.

Turn 1, Activation 12, Tau: Railheads attempt to Advance, fails and fires guided missiles at the Minor Warrior Swarm, killing 2 Warriors for 3 BMs.

Turn 1, Activation 13, HFD: Minor Shrike Swarm Marches into the forest.

Turn 1, Activation 14, Tau: Fusionheads Advances and fires guided missiles at the lone Warrior, killing it and stripping the formation of Synapse Creatures.

Turn 1, Activation 15, HFD: Harridan Doubles and fires at the Kroot, killing one for 2 BMs.

Turn 1, Activation 16, Tau: The Kroots Marshalls and stays put.

Turn 1, Activation 17, HFD: Minor Warrior Swarm Marches.

Turn 1, Activation 18, Tau: Railheads Advances and fires at the Minor Warrior Swarm, 1 BM.

Turn 1, Activation 19, HFD: Minor Warrior Swarm Marches.

Turn 1, Activation 20, Tau: Firewarriors doubles and fires at the Minor Warrior Swarm, killing 3 Termagauts and all Tyranid Warriors, leaving no more Synapse in the formation.

Turn 1, Activation 21, HFD: Genestealers Doubles.

Turn 1, Activation 22, Tau: Tau BTS fails to Advance, moves instead.

Start of turn 2. One formation of Raveners tunnel onto the battlefield, but become intermingled with the Termagaunts. Tau wins the Strategy Roll.

Turn 2, Activation 1, Tau: Firewarriors Engage the intermingled Termagaunts and the Raveners killing 1 Termagaunts for 2 Firewarriors in return, fight is even but the Tyranids loses the roll off by 2, both Tyranid formations break.

Turn 2, Activation 2, Tau Retain: Railheads attempt to Sustain Fire, fails and fires at the Harridan giving it 2 Damage, 3 BMs.

Turn 2, Activation 3, HFD: Genestealers Engage the Kroot, killing 4 for 3 in return, leads combat by 1 but loses the rolloff by 2, Genestealers break.

Turn 2, Activation 4, HFD Retain: Minor Shrike Swarm Engages the Fusionheads, kills 1 for 2 in return, leads by one but loses the rolloff by 2 and breaks.

Turn 2, Activation 5, Tau: Fusionheads Advance and fires Minor Warrior Swarm, killing 2 Hormagaunts and 2 Tyranid Warriors for 3 BMs.

Turn 2, Activation 6, Tau Retain: Kroot Marhall and moves.

Turn 2, Activation 7, HFD: Minor Zoanthrope Swarm Sustains Fire at the Tetras with their Biovores, killing 2 and breaking them.

Turn 2, Activation 8, Tau: Railheads Advance and fires at the Harridan for 1 BM.

Turn 2, Activation 9, Tau Retain: Fusionheads Sustain Fire at the Genestealers, wiping them out.

Turn 2, Activation 10, HFD: Harridan Marshalls and moves.

Turn 2, Activation 11, HFD Retain: Minor Warrior Swarm attempts to Engage, fails and removes BMs.

Turn 2, Activation 12, Tau: Firewarriors Advance and fires at the Synapse-less Termagaunts, killing 6 and breaking them.

Turn 2, Activation 13, HFD: Dactylis BTS Sustains Fire at the Railheads, 2 hits with Disrupt that are saved but they break.

Turn 2, Activation 14, Tau: Railheads Advance and fires at the broken Raveners, giving them 1 BM and killing 1 Ravener.

Turn 2, Activation 15, HFD: Minor Zoanthrope Swarm Sustains Fire at the broken Tetras, wiping them out.

Turn 2, Activation 16, Tau: Tau BTS Sustains Fire at the broken Minor Shrike Swarm, killing 1 Shrike. Tau is out of activations.

Turn 2, Activation 17, HFD: The Hive Nest-less Biovores Sustain Fire at the broken Piranha, killing it.

Turn 2, Activation 18, HFD: Harridan Advances and fires at the Fusionheads, giving them 1 BM.

Start of turn 3. Second formation of Raveners pops up close to the Tau Blitz. Tau wins the strategy roll.

Turn 3, Activation 1, Tau: Tau BTS Advances and fires at the newly arrived Raveners in Crossfire, wiping them out.

Turn 3, Activation 2, Tau Retain: Railheads Advance and fires at the Harridan, 2 Damage and 3 BMs.

Turn 3, Activation 3, HFD: Raveners Engage the Kroot in the ruins, killing 4 for 2 in return, wiping out the Kroot.

Turn 3, Activation 4, HFD Retain: Minor Warrior Swarm Engages the Fusionheads, makes 2 kills for 3 in return, leads by 5, wipes out the Fusionheads.

Turn 3, Activation 5, Tau: Railheads Sustain Fire at the Minor Warrior Swarm, killing the remaining Warrior and stripping the formation of Synapse Creatures.

Turn 3, Activation 6, HFD: Biovores Sustain Fire at the Railheads, 1 BM.

Turn 3, Activation 7, Tau: Firewarriors Doubles and fires at the Minor Zoanthrope Swarm, killing 1 Termagaunt.

Turn 3, Activation 8, HFD: Harridan Doubles and gives the Railheads 1 BM.

Turn 3, Activation 9, Tau: Firewarriors Advances and fire at the Raveners, giving them 1 BM.

Turn 3, Activation 10, HFD: Harridan Engages the Railheads, killing 3 in exchange for a Broodlord that got pulled into the combat, the Tau are wiped out.

Turn 3, Activation 11, Tau: Railheads Engage the Harridan, 1 Hammerhead is killed for nothing in return, 1 Hammerhead survives but is broken.

Turn 3, Activation 12, HFD: Minor Zoanthrope Swarm Sustains Fire at the Firewarriors, killing 1 for 2 BMs.

Turn 3, Activation 13, Tau: Fusionheads attempts to Advance, fails and moves. Tau is out of activations.

Turn 3, Activation 14, HFD: The Tyranid BTS Sustains Fire at the Firewarriors, killing the Skyray for 2 BMs.

Turn 3, Activation 15, HFD: Minor Zoanthrope Swarm attempts to Engage the Firewarriors but fails and gives them 1 BM instead

At the end of turn 3 neither side has won, so the game goes to turn 4.

Start of turn 4 (forgot to take a screenshot of this). Tau wins the strategy roll.

Turn 4, Activation 1, Tau: Firewarriors attempt to Sustain Fire, fails, removes BMs.

Turn 4, Activation 2, HFD: Minor Zoanthrope Swarm Engages the Firewarriors, killing 2 for 4 in return, leads by 4 and wipes them out.

Turn 4, Activation 3, HFD Retain: Harridan Engages the Railheads, no kills for 1 in return, leads by one and wins by one, Railheads breaks.

Turn 4, Activation 4, Tau: Fusionheads Doubles and fires at the Raveners, killing 1 Alpha and breaking them.

Turn 4, Activation 5, HFD: Termagaunts Marches.

At this point we decide that neither side has any chance to win, so we declare the game a draw.

End of game

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Dagon v4.71 vs Tau
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Both me and Argol was convinced that the Tau had this game in the bag as turn 3 began, as I had been very efficient at knocking out anything that attempted to cross the middle line. Had I kept going with that, and waited for a win in turn 4 instead I might have made it, but by trying to win in turn 3 I exposed myself for the Tyranid counterattack and was on the verge of losing instead, with a single formation managing to cross into the Tyranid table-half at the end of the turn.

Heavy AT fire and Skimmers was really good against Hive Fleet Dagon, but even when you get rid of the Synapse Creatures there can be a ton of Instinctive Creatures still left. These might be awful at activating, and can't capture or contest objectives, but they can Engage stuff, and are still an activation, so they're still useful for the Tyranid player and still dangerous for their opponent. Given how cramped things became in my deployment I was glad not to face a Tyranid Space Ship.

Overall happy to see it confirmed that going heavy on all-inf Minor Swarms is a competitive way to build HFD lists.

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Dagon v4.71 vs Tau
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great report, thanks!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam