Login |  Register |  FAQ

Hive Fleet Dagon v4.71 vs NetEA Emperor's Children

Post subject: Hive Fleet Dagon v4.71 vs NetEA Emperor's Children
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Second game with the new version, this time Argol playing the 'Nids and me playing a variant of the EC list I played at a EEC tournament two years ago. Argol's list was relatively heavy on activations and was dominated by Minor Swarms with only Synapse Creatures and Gaunts of different sorts.

This is a bit risky as the Synapse Creatures are LV surrounded by only Inf, making them easy targets for enemy AT fire. These swarms can be extremely dangerous if they are allowed to engage, but requires careful positioning.

The BTS was a quite heavy and defensive one, with a Dagon Overlord, 6 Dactylis and 4 Zoanthropes. The list also had the fairly cheap Burrower formation with Raveners.

The EC list I took had three almost identical Retinues accompanied three formations of Chosen. The BTS was the almost obligatory Knight formation with 5 Hell Scourges.

Minor, 3000 POINTS
Hive Fleet Dagon (4.71 TCMD forum)
==================================================

MAJOR SWARM (2-4 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [525]
Dagon Overlord, 4 Zoanthrope, 2 Bio-Support (3 Dagon Dactylis)

MINOR SWARM (2-4 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [200]
3 Tyranid Warriors, Gaunts (5 Termagaunts), Gaunts (5 Termagaunts)

Gargoyles (4 Dagon Gargoyles), Gargoyles (4 Dagon Gargoyles), 3 Tyranid Warrior Shrikes (Wings)

Gargoyles (4 Dagon Gargoyles), Gargoyles (4 Dagon Gargoyles), 3 Tyranid Warrior Shrikes (Wings)

MINOR SWARM (2-4 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [225]
Biovores (4 Biovores), 3 Zoanthrope, Gaunts (5 Termagaunts)

MINOR SWARM (2-4 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [225]
Biovores (4 Biovores), 3 Zoanthrope, Gaunts (5 Termagaunts)

GENESTEALER SWARM [225]
8 Genestealers, Broodlord

GENESTEALER SWARM [175]
6 Genestealers, Broodlord

LICTOR SWARM [225]
5 Dagon Lictors

INFESTATION SWARM (1-2 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [200]
3 Ravener Alphas, Burrower (5 Raveners)

INFESTATION SWARM (1-2 INSTINCTIVE SWARMS) [200]
3 Ravener Alphas, Burrower (5 Raveners)

LR Extravaganza, 2995 POINTS
Emperor's Children (4.1 - Approved)
==================================================

RETINUE [445]
6 Chaos Marine units, 2 Emperors Children Land Raider, Rhino, Chaos Warlord (Supreme Commander)

RETINUE [420]
6 Chaos Marine units, 2 Emperors Children Land Raider, Rhino, Sorcerer Lord, Daemonic Pact

RETINUE [420]
6 Chaos Marine units, 2 Emperors Children Land Raider, Rhino, Sorcerer Lord, Daemonic Pact

CHOSEN [170]
4 Chaos Space Marine Chosen, 2 Rhino, Daemonic Pact

CHOSEN [170]

CHOSEN [170]

BIKE COMPANY [325]
8 Emperor's Children Bike units, Sorcerer Lord, Daemonic Pact

KNIGHT PACK [450]
5 Hell-Scourge

CHAOS THUNDERHAWK [200]

HELLTALON SQUADRON [225]
2 Helltalon Fighter Bombers

Start of turn 1. Hive Fleet Dagon wins the strategy roll (!).

Turn 1, Activation 1, HFD: Genestealers enages the the Chosen. The Chosen fire their OW, killing one Genestealer on the way in. After two rounds of combat and very good saves and hits the Chosen win, having taken only two casualties. The Genestealers are broken and only the Broodlord survives.

Turn 1, Activation 2, EC: Hell-Talons uses the reroll to ground attack the flying minor swarm on the right flank. They take AA fire from 1 Gargoyle, resulting in 1 hit that kills one Helltalon, 1 Gargoyle and 1 Shrike is killed.

Turn 1, Activation 3, HFD: Minor Biovore Swarm doubles into the ruins.

Turn 1, Activation 4, EC: Chosen renews their OW.

Turn 1, Activation 5, HFD: Minor Swarm marches into a forest.

Turn 1, Activation 6, EC: Retinue doubles and fires at the minor swarm, giving it 1BM

Turn 1, Activation 7, HFD: Minor Swarm marches into the forest.

Turn 1, Activation 8, EC: Chosen advances and fires AT at the minor swarm for 1 BM.

Turn 1, Activation 9, HFD: Minor Swarm Marches.

Turn 1, Activation 10, EC: Retinue Advances and fires at the minor swarm in the forest, killing 1 Warrior, 2 BMs.

Turn 1, Activation 11, HFD: Flying minor swarm Marches and protects the Tyranid BTS from a feared EC air assault.

Turn 1, Activation 12, EC: Hell-Scourges doubles and fires at the covering minor swarm, killing 3.

Turn 1, Activation 13, EC Retain: Thunderhawk w Bikes attempts to ground assault the Tyranid BTS, fails to activate.

Turn 1, Activation 14, HFD: Tyranid BTS sustains at the Hell Scourges, 4 hits, 3 damage and 1 Crit, 7 BMs.

Turn 1, Activation 15, EC: Retinue doubles and fires AT at the minor swarm, two hits, killing 1 Warrior. EC is out of activations.

Turn 1, Activation 16, HFD: Genestealers doubles into the ruins.

Turn 1, Activation 17, HFD: Minor Swarm doubles and gives the Hell Scourges 1BM, breaking them.

Turn 1, Activation 18, HFD: Flying swarm Marshalls and moves into cover.

Rally Phase. Hell Scourges fails to rally. The lone Broodlord rallies.

Start of turn 2 (forgot to take a screenshot of this). Two formations of Raveners pop up close to the mid line and Lictors Teleport close to the Hell Scourges, taking 3 BMs from Teleport Mishap. EC wins the strategy roll, but rolls a 1 and loses 2 Daemons from the Lesser Daemon pool.

Turn 2, Activation 1, EC: Thunderhawk w Bikes ground assaults the Tyranid BTS, killing 2 for 3 in return, Bikes and TH is wiped out in combat resolution. Turns out that was a really bad idea!

Turn 2, Activation 2, EC Retain: Warlord Retinue summons 4 Daemonettes, emptying the pool. They engage the Raveners, killing 5 for 1 Daemonette in return, breaking them and giving neighbours BMs. Since only a Daemonette was killed, they suffer no BMs in return.

Turn 2, Activation 3, HFD: Genestealers engage the Chosen with 1 BM, taking 1 BM from OW, does 2 damage for 3 damage in return, leads by 1 and wipes out the Chosen, giving 2 nearby formations 1 BM each.

Turn 2, Activation 4, HFD Retain: Raveners engages the Chosen, killing 3 for 2 in return, leads combat by 6 and wipes out the Chosen.

Turn 2, Activation 5, EC: Retinue engages the Minor Swarm, 1 kill each, leads by 1 but loses the roll off by one and is broken, losing both its Land Raiders.

Turn 2, Activation 6, EC Retain: Retinue engages the Minor Swarm in the forest, winning after 2 rounds for 1 damage in return, 3 Tyranid Warriors survive but are broken.

Turn 2, Activation 7, HFD: Flying Minor Swarm engages the Retinue, kills 1 Marine for 4 super-expendable kills in return, leads by 2 but loses the roll-off by 2, Minor Swarm breaks.

Turn 2, Activation 8, EC: Helltalon fails to activate. EC is out of activations.

Turn 2, Activation 9, HFD: Tyranid BTS Sustains Fire at the Retinue with the Warlord, killing 2 giving 7 BMs in total from disrupt hits.

Turn 2, Activation 10, HFD: Minor Swarm Engages the EC Warlord Retinue, kills 2 for 4 in return, leads by 4 and kills 2 additional in combat resolution, EC breaks.

Turn 2, Activation 11, HFD: Lictors Engage the Hell-Scourges. kills 3 with First Strike Sniper attacks (2 having taken damage previously), 1 Hell-Scourge survives and kills 2 Lictors, Lictors wins but breaks.

Turn 2, Activation 12, HFD: Minor Swarm w Biovores Sustain Fire at the Retinue, makes 2 Disrupt hits on one marine for 3 BMs.

Turn 2, Activation 13, HFD: Minor Swarm Marches.

Turn 2, Activation 14, HFD: Flying Minor Swarm Marches.

Turn 2, Activation 15, HFD: Minor swarm Marshalls and moves into the house.

Rally phase: Most of the EC army fails to rally.

Start of turn 3. EC wins the strategy roll on a 6, gains 3 Lesser Daemon points.

Turn 3, Activation 1, EC: Chosen summons 3 Daemonettes and Engages the Minor Swarm in the house, kills 3 with First Strike, leads by 1, but loses combat on roll-off and breaks.

Turn 3, Activation 2, EC Retain: Retinue Marshalls and moves towards the objective on the far right, trying to get out of range of the Biovores and the nearby Flying Minor Swarm.

Turn 3, Activation 3, HFD: Minor Swarm Sustains Fire at the retinue with the 1 Biovore that is within range, gives 1 BM.

Turn 3, Activation 4, EC: Hell-Talon ground attacks the Gargoyles, killing 1 Shrike. EC is out of activations.

Turn 3, Activation 5, HFD: The three lone Shrikes doubles and gives the Retinue 1 BM, are positioned to support the Flying Minor Swarm's upcoming Engage.

Turn 3, Activation 6, HFD: The Flying Minor Swarm Engage the Retinue, kills 1 CSM but 4 gets killed in return. Since that was all Tyranids in the Engage, they 'Nids lose the fight automatically and breaks.

At this point we conclude that the game is 2-0 in Objectives to the Nids, since EC is out of activations and Tyranids have no way of gaining further objectives this turn.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Dagon v4.71 vs NetEA Emperor's Children
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think I can safely state that the moment everything went wrong in this game was when Argol's defensive move to protect his BTS from an air assault convinced me that air assaulting his BTS was in fact a good idea (it really wasn't). Had I stuck to my battle plan and played conservatively I'm convinced things would have looked quite differently. Putting Bikes into the Thunderhawk wasn't all that hot either, next time I'll try it with some Noise Marines instead.

As for the Tyranids, it was actually quite tricky to figure out how to approach the Minor Swarms. I've actually been concerned that these were too weak. In theory, running "naked" Minor Swarms (with the Synapse Creatures fully exposed to enemy AT fire) should make them very vulnerable to having them knocked out, but in practice doing so isn't all that simple as long as they stick to cover. As I found out, going after the Synapse Creatures can be a bit of a trap as you're sometimes better off just getting rid of expendable Gaunts instead.

Armies with a lot of AT (like Tau and Eldar) will of course have it easier, but careful positioning can make it a lot harder to achieve. Using OW can probably also be really effective, as Engaging means that the Tyranids will have to leave cover. How good "naked" Minor Swarms turn out to be is thus quite match-up dependent, which I think will keep things under control from a tournament perspective.

We had a discussion afterwards whether there are too many Synapse Creatures in the Swarms, but I really don't think so. Had I played better (and had the Hell Talons not got shot down in the first turn) I think EC would have had good chance to win this game.

Profile Send private message