Login |  Register |  FAQ

BT 4.2(Mic list)VsCodex Astartes (NetEA2015)

Post subject: BT 4.2(Mic list)VsCodex Astartes (NetEA2015)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi All,

Well we manage another game of epic. It was 3000 point per side and it was between BT 4.2(Mic list) and
Codex Astartes (NetEA Tournament Pack 2015)..Yeah it's only taken me and JimXII, a while to get this done..

I played the Codex Astartes (NetEA Tournament Pack 2015) and Jim played the BT 4.2(Mic List)

Link to ARR…
http://pfe100.blogspot.com.au/2017/04/b ... netea.html

Not against change, so long as it done fairly and no one is left behind....

I'm human and not a !@#$%^# Robot..

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: BT 4.2(Mic list)VsCodex Astartes (NetEA2015)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool report.

No Devestators in the Strike Cruiser, for the extra "bombardment" (drop pod) and immediate retain to sustain fire at something?

Quote:
Now If only I had place the Orbital bombardment, on that part of the deployment zone, were you deployed your forces. Who knows, want might have happen. It looks like I may have hit 7 or 8 formations roughly..Ouch.

Yeah, that's a quandary when there's a spacecraft... deploy spread out to mitigate hits, or castle up in the hope of dodging them entirely with a moderate risk of losing half your army if the opponent guesses right!

Quote:
Apart from the cock up(from both of us,hey we are only human and not #$%^ Robots) on shooting the landing craft, when it had not land

Could the Scorpion have done something else to stop the Marine win at that point, instead of suddenly gaining AA abilities? :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:04 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the report, you placed the Eldar where I discussed with E&C after our game.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In my defence i plead stupidity your honors!
I mistakenly thought:
1 the lander was landed. And therefore directed forces to shoot at it and
2. That it was somehow 2-1. And was preppedto romp it home inthe fourth. In my last 3 activations i could have moved the spears to setup up for an engage on the Tacticals supported by the guardians and at the same time prevented the Tacticals from claiming the objective. Our moved the spears near the scouts to stop them claiming their objective.
If it went to the fourth turn i still had plenty of options to clear the devs off the dtf obj or tackled the Tacticals off the blitz. But that would have been a much risker move.

Alas i did none of these things and it was actually 2-0 to the marines. Haha for shame!
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

His batrep does reinforce that mic is a better elder player than me. Hahaha i doubt that he would have missed something as Sony as a 2-0 loss with 3 activations to go haha.
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And to answer E&Cs question in the Aussie houserules thread.
I find castling up and maintaining a slower, supported, rate of advance is an effective technique against air cav lists. As mic has pointed out previously he very much missed the extra aa bubble that he lost from switching out the third SOV formation for the night spinners and the Rangers. He made this change due to his correct reading of the aus meta that marine air aslt would probably not be at cancon due to it being unsuccessful the last 2 years even though it was run by previous tourney winners.
I always run 2 SoV and night wings or 3 SoV in my lists to mitigate air aslts..
I aslo seek to open tempting gaps for the enemy to capitalise on. In this case the exposed spears did not cut the mustard and were wiped out by the aslt for very little damage in return.this was exacerbated by the fact that greg was able to open up the air cover through his lander and pred attack. This is quite a neat tactic and one that we have not seen previoulsy in aus to my recollection. But one that i would suspect will be seen again.

There are also a couple of ways to deploy to mitigate bombardment, but mine is much riskier than mics general style of deplyment. Last cancon i guessed wrong where the bombarment would be and ended up losing a bunch of units in the first activations!
In other lists i always seek to include at least 2 ground formations of AA and tbolts. As in 2 formations of hydras, or 2 hunters. This is just to shape enemy AA approaches. And i tend to prioritize shooting the thawks after they land rather than relying on AA to bring them down.
Any way these are just the thoughts of a desperate gamer trying to explain their most recent loss. Haha
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting report. It illustrates well the dilemmas faced in the deployment of Eldar when facing air assaulting marines. Usually they 'castle' up, hoping to avoid the bombardment but this can leave them in a poor position to contest good positions on the battlefield, and ultimately the objectives.

One query, do you have the larger space bombardment templates in vassal? Those used look like the usual ground fire templates, though it looks likely that even the bigger ones would have missed.
I also agree with E&C that podding Devastators in can extend the possible areas of bombardment, which in this case could have caused some damage.

This also demonstrates the problems faced by the air marines when their alpha strike fails, because the initial aim is to place BMs and especially to neutralise the AA in preparation for further air assaults. If this is prevented, this can leave the marines on the back foot and potentially out activated, making for a much more cagey game.

As for the 'schoolboy errors', I suspect that is easily done in vassal . . .
So the sentence is commuted to serving time in 'the colonies'
;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And I totally agree with your analysis Jim, which tends to echo the style of thinking when building lists for UK tournaments. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
2. That it was somehow 2-1. And was preppedto romp it home inthe fourth.

2-1 would still be a win though, meaning no turn 4, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Edited. E&C is correct
Yeah vassal had both large and small barrage templates.
Cheers
Jim

Last edited by JimXII on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

JimXII wrote:
No 2-1 woyld have seen a fourth. You need to be up by 2. So 3-1 or 2-0.

Rulebook wrote:
Each player is trying to achieve five things known as goals. You win if you have achieved two of these goals in the end phase of turns three or four, and you have achieved more goals than your opponent. The five goals are: Blitzkrieg, Break Their Spirit, Defend The Flag, Take And Hold, and They Shall Not Pass.

?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry you are right. Even my recollection of my error is in error. I thought he had bts and that was it. I didn't even consider his dtf.
Apologies. Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I did something similar at the first tournament I went to. Prepped myself delightfully to utterly crush my opponent on turn 4. Didn't notice I had accidentally retreated from his table half in doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
No Devestators in the Strike Cruiser, for the extra "bombardment" (drop pod) and immediate retain to sustain fire at something?

No that's right... I had my plan and I was not using drop pods and I'm kind glad in a way, it would have been wiped out by the end of turn 1, for little gain in my books….
Evil and Chaos wrote:
Could the Scorpion have done something else to stop the Marine win at that point, instead of suddenly gaining AA abilities? :)

All he had to do was double move it and it would have been in range to contest one of the objectives for DTF……
JimXII wrote:
His batrep does reinforce that mic is a better elder player than me. Hahaha i doubt that he would have missed something as Sony as a 2-0 loss with 3 activations to go haha.

That was not my intention….Yeah, but if my battle plan includes a keg of beer for the Mic, then he would make the same mistake or pass out….so either way I win…. :D ;D
JimXII wrote:
In my defence i plead stupidity your honors!

I thought it was all that beer you were drinking…..so the moral of the story is don’t drink and game at the same time… ;D
Ginger wrote:
This also demonstrates the problems faced by the air marines when their alpha strike fails, because the initial aim is to place BMs and especially to neutralise the AA in preparation for further air assaults. If this is prevented, this can leave the marines on the back foot and potentially out activated, making for a much more cagey game.

Very True...you are left with either shooting scout like I was since it was the safes place on the board or taking the risk and flying in(not recommend)…
Evil and Chaos wrote:
I did something similar at the first tournament I went to. Prepped myself delightfully to utterly crush my opponent on turn 4. Didn't notice I had accidentally retreated from his table half in doing so.

When Jim did the engagement of the broken Deve with his SS, the smile on my face went from ear to ear...Just as well I was not in front of him; I would have started to do the happy dance as well...Once he started the assault of course... ;D

Not against change, so long as it done fairly and no one is left behind....

I'm human and not a !@#$%^# Robot..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

JimXII wrote:
As mic has pointed out previously he very much missed the extra aa bubble that he lost from switching out the third SOV formation for the night spinners and the Rangers. He made this change due to his correct reading of the aus meta that marine air aslt would probably not be at cancon due to it being unsuccessful the last 2 years even though it was run by previous tourney winners.

That makes sense - I run a similar approach with my eldar at UK tournies basically subbing a storm serpent for more AA depending on how air heavy I think the meta will be. I guess that is one of the impacts of a more air heavy meta (which as you point out is also a bit of an ever changing thing) - you have to trade some optimisation of your own plan (eg for Mic less activations, less disrupt barrage) for better AA.