Login |  Register |  FAQ

Squat 1.6 vs. Speed Freaks

Post subject: Squat 1.6 vs. Speed Freaks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I took the new Squat 1.6 list for a first playtest against Paradox's SpeedFreaks.
Short summary, the Squats got slaughtered - we called it after turn 2. With SF controlling the entire board and only 3 Squat activations left alive it would have most likely ended 2-0 or 3-0 on Turn 3 depending if Paradox managed to kill my BTS.
Chalk up the loss to some bad decisions on my part (I am not a very good player) and failing 6 out of 13 activation attempts.
Not sure how valuable this will even be for list development given how lopsided the game was, but here goes...

I wanted to give spotter a good try so took double Land Trains and plenty of Iron Eagles and Overlords
Squat 1.6.1
325 Warriors +Extra troops +Thunderfire
250 Thunderers +Thunderfire
200 Berserkers
275 Bike Guild +Grand Warlord
200 Iron Eagle
200 Iron Eagle
275 Overlord +AA Pintel
275 Overlord +AA Pintel
300 Goliaths
375 Land Train +3 Berserker Cars (BTS)
325 Land Train +2 Berserker Cars

Speed Freaks
375 Big Warband - 2 Nobz, 6 boyz, 8 trukks, 8 skorchas, Mekboy biker
425 Big Warband - 2 Nobz, 6 boyz, 8 trukks, 8 skorchas, Speedsta (BTS)
350 Big KoS - 14 Skorchas, 2 buggies
200 KoS - 2 Skorchas, 8 bikes
250 Big Outriders
250 Big Outriders
200 Landa
250 Fighta-bombas - 5 FB

Deployment:
Paradox placed his blitz in the corner and I went for the opposite end. all 4 objectives pretty much lined up down the center.
Both Outriders garrisoned close to the center line on the left.
Both Iron Eagles garrisoned in front of the Squat deployment zone.
SF were lined up shoulder to shoulder the length of the board.
Squats concentrated more on the left, hoping to take out successive waves as they broke piecemeal on dwarven resolve.
Attachment:
SQ-SF_01a.jpg
SQ-SF_01a.jpg [ 576.46 KiB | Viewed 3075 times ]

My plan (such as it was) was to castle and shoot the first half of turn 1, then when SF were low on activations to advance towards the objectives on the left, take out the Outriders and position for turn 2. If the outriders came for me, even better - I can Overwatch Iron Eagles, or sustain with Thunderers and then destroy them with one of the Landtrains or Bikes.. lets see how that worked out.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Squat 1.6 vs. Speed Freaks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 1: SpeedFreaks win activation.
SF: fighta-bommas ground attack right hand Iron Eagles, just avoiding flak from the Overlord. 2 kills, Iron Eagles break and retreat behind the forest.
SF: With a path open to the Overlord, SF retain and ground attack with Landa +KoS. They take 1BM from AA, no casualties on either side in engagement. SF win resolution, Overlord dies, Berserkers 1BM and 1 Gyro dies after seeing their comrades crumple out of the sky.
SQ: Sustain with Goliaths against right-hand Warband. (probably were better targets here, but this formation were the most bunched up and had a chance to snipe the Mekboy). Kill 4 skorchas, trukk, boyz, Mekboy. 9BM.
SF: Right KoS Doubles and places a BM on the Berserkers (2BM)
SQ: Overlord advances into ruins looking to shore up the right flank. Shoots at Landa. 1BM
SF: Outriders engage Iron Eagles on the left. Iron Eagles fire overwatch but Outriders save all 3 hits (+1BM to Outriders). Iron Eagles manage to win the Assault. 5 bikes destroyed, they withdraw towards the center of the table. One surviving Iron Eagle is broken and retreats to blitz.
SQ: Land Train 2 advances and uses Spotter to target Landa + KoS with 3BP MW. Landa takes 1DC and breaks, KoS loses 1 bike +2BM.
SF: Warband on left, Doubles and shoots the Speedsta at Thunderers. 1BM
SQ: Berserkers engage Landa (I'd planned to intermingle the KoS, but Overlord and Land Train poor prepping made it too risky). Landa destroyed for no losses. KoS +1BM (3BM)
SF: Outriders double and shoot at Bike Guild. 1 bike dead, 2BM. More importantly Outriders are ZoCing Thunderers, Bikes, Goliaths and LandTrain. (but that is ok - I have plenty of activations to deal with them, right?)
Attachment:
SQ-SF_06.jpg
SQ-SF_06.jpg [ 706.4 KiB | Viewed 3074 times ]

SQ: Thunderers Advance to move out of ZoC and shoot Outriders. Fail activation and fail SC re-roll. Thunderers Hold and have to move out of ZoC. +1BM (2BM)
SF: Middle KoS Double and shoot Land Train (BTS). 1BM
SQ: Land Train (BTS) engages broken Outriders and intermingle KoS. no losses in engage on either side (but all Void Shields stripped), Land Train 2 supports. Squats win engagement by 3, Outriders wiped out, KoS broken.
SF: Warband doubles and shoots at single broken Iron Eagle on right, +1BM destroys Iron Eagle. (this was a mistake - Warband should not have been able to shoot due to suppression)
SQ: Warriors Double, fail activation - hold and move +1BM
SF: KoS double down the road and shoot at Overlord +1BM
SQ: Bike Guild Engage, fail activation - hold and have to move out of the Outriders ZoC +1BM (3BM)

Picture at the end of turn 1 - Squats pinned against the edge of the board and intermingled.
Attachment:
SQ-SF_08a.jpg
SQ-SF_08a.jpg [ 485.82 KiB | Viewed 3074 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

End of Turn 1.
Everything rallies and sheds BMs except:
Broken KoS - withdraws towards objectives
Warband - 9BM
Berserkers - 2BM

With the failed activations and Outrider ZoCs, the Squats are pinned right against their baseline and intermingled everywhere...
Turn 2: Speed Freaks win Activation.
SF: KoS engages Warriors from behind (3 destroyed by dangerous terrain), intermingle Land Train (BTS), Land Train 2, Goliaths. Squats Win, KoS broken and retreat back out of the ruins. Warriors 2BM.
SF: Warband retains, engages Thunderers with Bikes and Iron Eagle intermingled. Warband wins by 8, gyro destroyed, Grand Warlord (only survivor from bikes) and thunderers retreat along baseline, this is not getting any less crowded.
SQ: Land Train (BTS) engages Outriders and intermingles Warband. With 10cm counter-charge +5cm deployment, the Warband gets into base contact with the Goliaths... oops. Squats win the Assault, thanks to support from Land Train 2, but the Goliaths are destroyed. Land train (BTS) loses 2DC and Crits the rear Berserker car. 3DC remaining 2BMs.
SQ: Berserkers retain, engage KoS in woods. Berserkers win by 2, take 1 casualty +1BM (3BM). Kos retreats back towards Ork Blitz.
SF: Fighta Bommaz ground attack Berserkers - kill 2 rhinos, 1 berserker, breaking them. They retreat to screen warriors.
SF: Big KoS retains to engage Overlord through the ruins (2 destroyed by dangerous terrain), intermingled with broken Thunderers and Bikes. KoS wins, all Squats destroyed. Overlord crits and falls on Warriors, but only causes 1BM. 1 Berserker dies due to support.
SQ: Land Train 2 advance, fails and holds +1BM. Shoots broken Outriders near blitz, 1BM kills one outrider.
SF: Warband Engages Berserkers and wipes them out for 1 loss (due to driving skorchas through the forest)
SQ: Warriors double, fail to activate, hold and move towards Squat Blitz. +1BM (3BM)

End of Turn 2.
Squats rally everything.
SF fail to rally Outriders, Big Kos, Warband and KoS, but most of them retreat forwards to box Squats in and prevent any chance of reaching SF half or claiming objectives. If Paradox had rallied even one of them, he would have won by 3-0 or maybe 4-0.
Attachment:
SQ-SF_09a.jpg
SQ-SF_09a.jpg [ 731.38 KiB | Viewed 3073 times ]

Battle thoughts.
Ok, so I made some pretty big mistakes all round which Paradox jumped on. That combined with failing half my activations made it pretty one sided. It's hard to draw any conclusions on the Squat list based on this game, but I'll add some comments in the Squat thread.
Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the report!

Interesting to see how the new 1.6 list plays out, as of yet, they haven't won a game

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the report. Not a day to be a Squat player.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good report that and exactly the result you would expect. Speed freaks just have too much mobility and assault power for gunline Squat lists.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the report, taiaha. And that's some interesting hills you have there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
Thanks for the report. Not a day to be a Squat player.

Every day is a day to be a Squat player!

Thankyou for your battle report guys, I have some discussion over in the Squat threads