Login |  Register |  FAQ

3 games with Imperial Fist

Post subject: 3 games with Imperial Fist
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Last weekend there was a small tournament in Norrköping, Sweden. Here are battle reports from my three games.

http://epicarms.blogspot.com/2016/09/tournament-in-norrkoping.html

Hope you like it!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 3 games with Imperial Fist
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great reports, and nice army!

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Very cool cheers! How'd you find the IF list to use? Any thoughts on it overall?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:33 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

thanks so much for the reports, pretty sure this is the first time I've seen them taken to a tournament :D

any feedback appreciated, I'm planning on doing a tidy-up of the list in the near future to harmonise it with the tournament pack and clarify a few issues that have been raised

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the design of the Imperial Fist a lot. They play very differently from normal marines which is what I think we should aim for when designing chapter specific lists. The IF have some severe disadvantages compared to standard marines, no spaceships, no air transports and no Warhounds. Basically all the things people tend to use in the codex list.

I like to play my marines as a ground based force, that’s why I started looking at IF in the first place. The mix of static defenses and Space Marine mobility seemed fun. A major problem in all of my games was mobility late in the game. My opponents targeted my Rhinos and Land Speeders to slow me down, also I had switched out the Scout Rhinos for bunkers. Another issue is firepower. When I was facing Imperial Guard the IG player just dug in on his side of the table, shooting me to pieces. The IF does not have enough long range firepower to force the opponent to come after them. I’m sure you can build IF lists that are more targeted for shooting, but I think they will still have a hard time against some defensive opponents. They do have the teleporting Terminators option which could help a bit in this case…

Feedback on some of the new units:

My Assault Centurions (in Land Raider Crusaders) performed surprisingly well in all of the games. They double up to the enemy, killed a few units with their flamers and support the upcoming assault by e.g. Speeders. This move killed more than half of an IG Regimental HQ and wiped out a White Scars bike unit.

The Thunderfire battery is also a nice addition to the IF list. The 60cm range makes a huge difference when you are camping out in a bunker. Thou the 10cm movement makes them very sluggish e.g. when your opponent forces you to place your bunkers where you don’t want your Thunderfire battery…

Hyperios platforms are also nice. A cheap activation with decent AA capabilities. Maybe I like them more since I think that the 75 points Hunter is very pricy for what it brings. Again the usefulness is very much depending on where you can garrison them (true for all of the automations).

My conclusion so far (after 4 games with the Fists) is that they are pretty well balanced. You need to play them aggressively against some armies as they are not shooty enough to only hang back in their bunkers. Also you need to aim for different victory conditions than I would normally do with my marines. A lot of the standard marine toys are missing but they have some shiny new replacements :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As for things that I think needs clarification. Here are some of the strange situations that came up during (and before) the games:

1. When a Thunderfire battery goes on overwatch, when do they decide if they are going to shoot IC or Disrupt? When they go on OW or when the OW is triggered.

2. What actions, if any, can a unit with movement 0 (e.g. Hyperios) take when in enemy ZoC?

3. According to the TP a unit can swap its Rhinos for Bunkers and then by Land Raiders or Razorbacks i.e. garrison (using the unit with 0 movement clause) while still being transported.

4. Clarification on how minefields and trenches can be split up and chained. I know this was discussed in the IF thread...

5. Some guidelines regarding the size of a bunker. As they block vehicle movement you could potentially build huge bunkers to block enemy vehicles...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Argol wrote:
1. When a Thunderfire battery goes on overwatch, when do they decide if they are going to shoot IC or Disrupt? When they go on OW or when the OW is triggered.

as normal they declare when they fire so when they shoot OW they may declare disrupt or IC (in the same way that other units may declare AP/AT or in/out of cover when they fire on OW)

Quote:
2. What actions, if any, can a unit with movement 0 (e.g. Hyperios) take when in enemy ZoC?

they are forced to engage (I will add engage to the list of activations available to automata if not already there)

Quote:
3. According to the TP a unit can swap its Rhinos for Bunkers and then by Land Raiders or Razorbacks i.e. garrison (using the unit with 0 movement clause) while still being transported.

I am going to clarify that fortifications purchased in this way do NOT count as part of the formation, and will be deployed with other fortifications as normal to prevent this kind of garrison trickery, it was never the intent of the rule! ;)

Quote:
4. Clarification on how minefields and trenches can be split up and chained. I know this was discussed in the IF thread...

indeed it was, we may require a 'minimum' length per section to prevent it being split into a million sections checkerboarded everywhere!

Quote:
5. Some guidelines regarding the size of a bunker. As they block vehicle movement you could potentially build huge bunkers to block enemy vehicles...

I'm reluctant to do this as it has never been an issue with the baran or krieg lists previously, I'd be prepared to put a 'recommended' size of a max of 50x50mm but I think it may cause issues with other lists, as always common sense and a fair and balanced approach to the game are needed

as I said, I'll get the list updated with clarifications after I'm back from Sweden next week

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
as I said, I'll get the list updated with clarifications after I'm back from Sweden next week

You´re in Sweden??! Want to play a game of Epic then?? :-)

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:19 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

mordoten wrote:
kyussinchains wrote:

You´re in Sweden??! Want to play a game of Epic then?? :-)

much as I'd love to, I'm going to be here all week which is pretty much the definition of 'the ar$ehole of nowhere'

I think I'm ~4 hours from your neck of the woods mate :) plus I'll be with work colleagues and all that.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Haha, yes thats in the outback of the swedish south. Stay away from the locals, and run if they start calling you "really prrrrrrtyyyy"!!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:39 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

mordoten wrote:
Haha, yes thats in the outback of the swedish south. Stay away from the locals, and run if they start calling you "really prrrrrrtyyyy"!!

Haha will do! until now I was only concerned about the 6-legged bloodsucking types (I've packed as much DEET as the airline will allow.... are there any good Swedish redneck repellants?)