Login |  Register |  FAQ

Space Wolves vs Codex Marines

Post subject: Space Wolves vs Codex Marines
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Finally managed a game with the wolves against an approved army. It was a mirror match marines vs marines.
Both armies had basically the same strategy. Strike quick and take the opponents blitz and leave the Supreme Commander guarding the home base and hopefully survive.

Space Wolfs list:
GREAT COMPANY [425]
6 Grey Hunters, Wolf Lord, Hunter, Rhinos

GREAT COMPANY [375]
6 Grey Hunters, Hunter, Rhinos, Wolf Priest

WOLF GUARD TERMINATORS [325]
4 Wolf Guard Terminators

THUNDERHAWK [200]
Space Wolves Thunderhawk Gunship

SWIFTCLAW BIKES PACK [250]
6 Swiftclaw Bikes, Wolf Priest

WOLF SCOUTS PACK [250]
4 Wolf Scouts, Sniper (add sniper ability to 1 unit in the formation)

LAND SPEEDERS [225]
4 Land Speeder, Land Speeder Typhoon

LONG FANGS PACK [425]
4 Long Fangs, Hunter, Dreadnought

LONG FANGS PACK [375]
4 Long Fangs, Hunter

FENRISIAN WOLVES [150]
6 Fenrisian Wolves

Codex Marines:
THUNDERHAWK [200]

THUNDERHAWK [200]

ASSAULT [225]
4 Assault Units, Chaplain

ASSAULT [175]
4 Assault Units

DEVASTATOR [250]
4 Devastators

DEVASTATOR [250]
4 Devastators

TACTICAL [450]
6 Tacticals, Supreme Commander, Hunter

SCOUT [150]
4 Scouts

LAND SPEEDER [200]
5 Landspeeder

WARHOUND [275]
1 Warhound Class Titan

WARHOUND [275]
1 Warhound Class Titan

THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [175]
2 Thunderbolt Fighters

THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [175]
2 Thunderbolt Fighters

I tried to place one objective close to the Blitz and the rest as far away as possible. Placed my blitz in a corner to be able to defend it better. My opponent set up with good screens to protect their warhounds from my Terminators. I really didn’t have any good answers to his two full Thunderhawks but it felt good to have taken so many hunters.
Well first off I made a small mistake and got me 2 BTS (I blame the Armyforge for not including dreads in the list :{[] ;) )
I left one great Co and some Long Fangs to guard the Blitz and the somewhat close objective. It would be a hard task but the intent was just to deny the opponent access not to hold them.
The main army would just charge head on and hope for the best. The Terminators would strike against the blitz or against a titan if able. Long Fangs started in OW a bit forward in the field, trying to discourage airassaults.

Setup:
Attachment:
Start.jpg
Start.jpg [ 526.36 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]

First turn didn’t go too good. On my left flank the Warhound advanced and made a sneaky clipping attack against my Long Fangs in the building. Afterwards a Thunderhawk landed and the marines killed them all claiming BTS. The Great Co got some revenge and killed the assault marines.
On the other flank all of my units basically made double or triple moves. The Swiftclaws managed to lure the Warhound out of the scout screen so the Wolf Guard landed and made life short for the titan without even getting hurt, even with CAP and OW fire. The Great Co was in turn air assaulted fron the side and lost the unfair fight. (Running almost the whole table length only to be broken and run back again  ) All aircraft had heavy flak against them so almost every one hav at least two BM.

End of turn 1 before rally:
Attachment:
End-of-turn-1.jpg
End-of-turn-1.jpg [ 593.59 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]

Turn 2, Wolf scouts emerge from the hill flanking the stranded Devastators and Assault Marines:
Attachment:
Scout-sneak-attack.jpg
Scout-sneak-attack.jpg [ 733.91 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]

Sadly Codex wins the initiative again. Fearing assaults on several fronts the Marines tries to strike first. Sometimes the dice can be cruel, the odex marines failed almost every activation possible and manage to roll almost no hits in engagements and shooting during the whole turn. Everything turned out to be a slaughter or just a big failure. A warhound, Devastators and a Thunderhawk manage to kill a marine or two from the Great Co. The Scouts manage to sneak down to my Blitz and thought they had it secured…
The Devastators and Assault marines in the middle was hunted down by Wolves and crossfire. The Tacticals manage to hold out due to some lucky saves. The Wolf Guards was picked up by the Thunderhawk.

End of Turn 2
Attachment:
End-of-turn-2.jpg
End-of-turn-2.jpg [ 517.78 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]

The Swiftclaws engage the Tacticals killing them all with a little help from some speeders, claiming both BTS and Blitz in one go. The Codex marines tries real hard to kill off the Great Co threatening to take back their own Blitz but fail due to good saves and bad sights. The Great Co even manage to find a hole in the Scout screen and moves in to contest the blitz with a Gray Hunter. They send in a Thunderbolt but it fails, the Terminators appear again and kills off the last Warhound and the game is over.

End of game
Attachment:
End-of-turn-3.jpg
End-of-turn-3.jpg [ 411.61 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]

Win for the Wolves 3-1
Conclusions: Not sure what to say, the dice decided this game.
It was fun to see two similar armies attack their opponent’s base and both left a too small force to defend against the attack. Not being able to shoot is a drawback but in this game it didn’t really matter. Didn’t get too many CC attacks with the Gary hunters either.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Space Wolves vs Codex Marines
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great Report thank you

My pueppchenspieler blog

Building a House Devine Army

Profile Send private message