NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: AMTL (3.22) vs EUK Dark Eldar
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:10 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've uploaded all the photos I took on Friday.

You can browse the folder here. Scroll down to the army photos and start from their.

Just a note on timings. The battle took an extra hour with the photographs and note taking over the three turns. The report took another hour to type up, but this was done over several hours as I was doing other things at the same time. Photograph uploading can take forever which is why I save most of them for the office connection.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:26 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Borka wrote:
A skimmer may declare that it is popping up at the start of any action that it takes, including when the skimmer goes into overwatch. A skimmer may not pop up as part of a sustained fire action or a marshal action, but may pop-up when it goes onto overwatch.

Now here's an interesting thing, my rule book and pdf version of the rules has this as the line:
2.1.13 Skimmers - 3rd Paragraph Page 37 wrote:
A skimmer may declare that it is popping up at the start of any action that it takes, including sustained fire actions and when the skimmer goes onto overwatch. Popping up counts as movement for the purposes of triggering enemy on overwatch.

I wonder when the wording was changed?

FAQ still takes precedence though.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I imagine it was changed in the 2008 errata. I was under the impression that the most up to date version says it can't be declared for sustained fire actions, but I'm not at home so can't confirm.

IIRC you can stay popped up from one action to the next - it is a choice whether to pop down or not at the end of the action. It can be any action and not just overwatch. You might advance and stay popped up so that you can support an engagement for example. So yes, I would say you can sustain fire whilst already popped up. The downside is of course that you have remained vulnerable to return fire in the meantime.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

AFAIK, this has always been the ruling - that "popping up" to go on OW is deemed to be movement, so prevents Sustaining. However, the ruling on Skimmer vehicles is a bit of a "red herring"; normal vehicles do not count as sustaining when on OW, and would not be counted as "Sustaining" in the next turn.

Note, the point about "popping up" counting as movement is more applicable to supporting fire in assaults, where skimmers behind terrain cannot provide support as they may not move, so cannot 'pop-up'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:23 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tiny-Tim wrote:
CAA’s main thought was that he understood why the EUK Macro Cannon is slow firing as the BTS Blitz guard was able to seriously damage a formation each turn whilst in this game being next to invulnerable as the DE couldn’t get to it in numbers.

Sorry for the threadomancy, had a game against dptdexys and his dreaded Ulthwe last night and a good amount of discussion afterwards about artillery titans in general and the quake cannon in particular, with slow firing I think it's just too weak a choice compared to the AML which is 50 points cheaper, if I'd had one, then dave would have been able to mitigate much of its effects by spreading his formations out... it's a 700 point titan, it should be able to seriously damage a formation per turn... in fact that's the whole EUK AMTL 'thing' with the up-gunning of most weapons, they need to be able to flatten a formation every turn to avoid being out-activated. Having said that even with macro it's only a single template, mostly hitting on 4's at best.... if your opponent bunches his units together then he deserves to have them hammered.... ;) as it is, it's too weak for a 50 point support weapon choice and a complete non-choice when compared to the AML.... just my opinion of course :)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:35 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

So agreeing with Dave on the Macro Cannons. I can see the argument, but seeing the other end of the cannon and what it has been able to do, it will start at slow firing and have people gently pushed to the AMTL. Of course you can always go with a Vet Princeps and take two Cannons arm mounted on a Warlord to fire one per turn.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion