Login |  Register |  FAQ

Necrons Vs Space Marines (3000pts)

Post subject: Necrons Vs Space Marines (3000pts)
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay this is going to be a bit of a vague battle report, both me and my opponent are fairly inexperienced at epic and were using new armies for the first time against each other. This partley explains why it will be vague the other will be I pretty much constantly forgot to take photos or write stuff down. I was too busy pawing over the necron and space marine rules. Oh also this is my first battle report... Right excuses aside onto the gaming!

Rules queries will be in pink... remember we are not professionals and advice would be great!

Necrons

Phalanx 1 (BTS)
6 warriors
1 Lord
1 Piriahs
1 Immortals
2 wraiths
2 tomb spyders

Phalanx 2
6 warriors
1 Lord

Phalanx 3
6 warriors
1 Lord

Monoliths 1

2 monoliths
2 obolisks

Monoliths 2
2 monoliths
2 obolisks

Monoliths 3

2 monoliths
2 obolisks

Commander Cube
1 warbarque
Supreme commander upgrade

Eques Maniple

6 destroyers

Venator Maniple
6 flayed ones

Pylon

1 pylon

Tomb Complex

Marines

Hmmm.... I dont have a real army list just what I remember...

Devestators 1
4 Devs
2 rhinos
1 landraider
2 drednoughts

Devestators 2
4 Devs
2 rhinos
1 landraider
2 drednoughts

A spaceship

Dop Pod marines

6 Marines
1 drednoughts

Thunderhawk Marines 1

1 Thunderhawk
6 marines
2 drednoughts

Thunderhawk Marines 2 (BTS)

1 Thunderhawk
6 marines
1 drednoughts

Ummm... and some other stuff? Maybe?

Okay the battle was set, as the marines forgot their objectives it turned out they were trying to rescue some groups of gaurdsmen who had gotton lost on a training exercise. The necrons were in hot persuit of THE PRESIDENT, rumorded to have broken down in the area and the last of the chaos squats as their corrupt midget souls taste extra good... nom nom nom.

Only the tomb complex started on the board for the necrons. The marines had two units of devistators hiding in the buidings in the top right of the battlefield.

TURN 1

Teleports
Necrons drop Monoliths 1 and 2 near the devestators in the top right. The pylon goes down near the lost gaurdsmen in the top middle of the field.

The marines won the iniative and Devestators 1 open fired on Monoliths 1 doing nothing more than throwing a blast marker at them. They retain and assault with the Devestators 2 they kill two poor obolisks for the loss of a dread. The necrons lose by alot and flee away from the devestators. So ends the marines turn 1

Monliths assaulted

Do monoliths dish out 2 or 3 fire fight attacks? I get a little confused sometimes with the weapons notes. I thought 2 but my opponent claimed it would be 3, I was happy enough to go along with it but am not sure.

After the loss of two of the cube children the necrons are eager for the counter attack! Destroyers move out of Monoliths 1 and open fire on on Devestators 1 and kill a marines... Captain cube was not happy with the expensive Destroyers initial attack. Not needing to retain and the marines were not doing anything else I had Phalanx 2 jump out of a Monoliths 2 and shoot Devestators 1 they did nothing.... I then assaulted with Phalanx 1 and wiped out Devestators 1 but lost the pariahs, immortals and a wraith.

Broken monoliths can still have their portals used right?

This is after Devestators 1 has been destroyed.

Not much else is going on so I set the pylon onto overwatch. The president has not been located yet...

Monoliths 1 phase out and rally off board, Phalanx 1 gets its immortals back and loses all its blast markers. Devestators 2 get rid of their blast marker from witnessing the combat.

Turn 2

There are no other marines about yet.. Its too quiet.

Teleports
Monoliths 1 teleport back in pretty much where they were.

Marines win the iniative. Devestators 2 single away and kill two destroyers... their turn over again.

The Destroyers marshal through Monliths 1 they return their numbers to full strength.

Monoliths 2 advance on Devestators 2 and open fire and kill a stand of marines. Phalanx 1 assaults Devestators 2 and kill lots of them in combat with a few losses. The remaining marines flee into the city and the necrons consolidate through monoliths 2.

Phalanx 2 travels through the spare portal in Monoliths 2.

The devestators fail to rally. Phalanx 1 gets its immortals back again and removes its blast markers.

These turns were going super quick two thirds of his army was late to this massicar and I was eager for more things to shoot at!

Turn 3

Teleports

Terminators teleport near the president for a quick rescue. Monoliths 3 teleport on the president to try and deny the marines their prize. Sommander Cubes shows his big square face and Teleports into the middle of the board, he needs to deal with a giant bird problem.

Space marines win the iniative. The terminators open fire on Monoliths 3 and do nothing exciting. The marines retain and the strike cruiser throws men all over the battlefield. Two thunderhawks make planet fall to the south and the drop pods land by the pylon.

The black gothic ship is where the strike cruiser fired its laser gun Pewpew. The two grey cruisers are thunderhawk stand ins. The coins to the left are the drop pods and marines...

Seeing the marine hand played the necrons could take a sigh of relief. Commander cubes goes to investigate the thunderhawks falling out of the sky. He blasts a tactical squad from Thunderhawk 1s disembarking party and both the dreds.

The marines from thunderhawk 2 fortify themselves in the near by ruins and fail to injure the mighty commander cube.

The destroyers advance out of Monoliths 2 and kill two of the drop pod marines. Phalanx 1 retains and assaults the drop pod marines out of commander cube. Its a messy fight and the marines are killed to a man but Phalanx one is crippled and broken.

Thunderhawk 2 takes off and gets shot by the pylon, a hit is scored but it shrugs it off. He managed to kill two stands of warriors from Phalanx 1

The flayed ones emrge all sleepy from the tomb complex and assault the marines left in the open from Thunderhawk 1. The marines are destroyed and the flayed ones take a few casulties.

Thunderhawk 1 takes off and is also shot by the pylon... there are no critcals and it kills whats left of the warriors from phalanx 1. The tomb spyders are left to pick up the pieces.

Monoliths 1 move and crossfire the terminators they do no hits.

Monoliths 3 sustained crossfire on the terminators and do no hits (those guys can really make 5+ saves!!)

The fresh Phalanx 3 assaults the terminators. they manage to kill two and lose two warriors. Through some crippling dice rolls the necrons are wiped out but the terminators are broken. The president is secure!

The game ends Necrons have 3 (Blitz, BTS, T&H) Marines have 0.

Okay well it was a strange game not much started on the board and I was really unsure what to do. my opponent had not been entirely sure about how the plaentfall stuff would really work out and I think the game had hinged on it. I was able to use most of my army to smash two small units of marines and then deal with the other squads when they arrived. I can understand why people were worrying over three pylons vs marines as it would be leathal to those thunderhawks.

Im not really sure if I made great use of the portals but they tended to be where I needed them. I was totally unsold on the warbarque... that thing just seems a bit average, I wont get rid of commander cube yet but he better be more able next game otherwise im hiring a C'tan for cheaper.

I enjoyed it alot and have booked a game for next week againt a tournement chaos army. I hope this battle report is legable despite my inexperience and terrible spelling and grammar. I will try and post another next week.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Necrons Vs Space Marines (3000pts)
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angor wrote:
Devestators 1
4 Devs
2 rhinos
1 landraider
2 drednoughts

Thunderhawk Marines 2 (BTS)
1 Thunderhawk
6 marines
1 drednoughts

Land Raiders will remove a Rhino. Transport gets applied last, and only enough to make sure all are not walking.

BTS only applies to the most expensive formation. A Thunderhawk and a Tactical Squad are not the same formation. Also, the other Tac Squad is more expensive (has 2 DN's). Though the Dev Squads would likely both be the most expensive.

Angor wrote:
Do monoliths dish out 2 or 3 fire fight attacks? I get a little confused sometimes with the weapons notes. I thought 2 but my opponent claimed it would be 3, I was happy enough to go along with it but am not sure.

Extra attacks apply in addition to the innate attack. So +2EA is 3 for any non-war engine.

Angor wrote:
Broken monoliths can still have their portals used right?

Yes. Not a big fan of it, but that's how the rule is intended.

Angor wrote:
Teleports
Terminators teleport near the president for a quick rescue. Monoliths 3 teleport on the president to try and deny the marines their prize. Sommander Cubes shows his big square face and Teleports into the middle of the board, he needs to deal with a giant bird problem.

Teleports are done with the higher SR choosing to go first OR second. So tactically, the Marine player should have forced the Necron player to deploy Teleporters first.

Angor wrote:
Thunderhawk 2 takes off and gets shot by the pylon, a hit is scored but it shrugs it off. He managed to kill two stands of warriors from Phalanx 1

Thunderhawk 1 takes off and is also shot by the pylon... there are no critcals and it kills whats left of the warriors from phalanx 1. The tomb spyders are left to pick up the pieces.

Thunderhawks that planetfall can't make a move action as far as I know. They can take an action, but are treated as a Ground unit with a Move of 0cm (4.2.5). They can disengage in the End Phase, and begin flight operations from the following turn.

Angor wrote:
Monoliths 3 sustained crossfire on the terminators and do no hits (those guys can really make 5+ saves!!)

Terminators have Thick Rear Armour, and therefore don't get the armour penalty from crossfire (though they do get the extra BM for first casualty).

Morgan Vening

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Morgan Vening wrote:
Teleports are done with the higher SR choosing to go first OR second. So tactically, the Marine player should have forced the Necron player to deploy Teleporters first.

This was one of the things I meant to ask actually. We couldnt find it in the rules so just diced it.

Morgan Vening wrote:
Thunderhawks that planetfall can't make a move action as far as I know. They can take an action, but are treated as a Ground unit with a Move of 0cm (4.2.5). They can disengage in the End Phase, and begin flight operations from the following turn.

Ahh we played that during their disengagement they could make a bombing run. I was happy to play it this way as my opponent had not fully understood the planet fall rules and I think he was feeling his thunderhawks were a little wasted.

Morgan Vening wrote:
Terminators have Thick Rear Armour, and therefore don't get the armour penalty from crossfire (though they do get the extra BM for first casualty).

Morgan Vening

Ack I should hav known that using my own terminators before this. Its okay he passed something stupid like all of his ten 5+ saves.

Thanks for the feed back.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Awesome terrain...but then I saw you were playing in a GW store, so a) thats cheating *rofl* and b) they let you play? Amazing!

Thanks for the report! As you develop the desire to share your games, pictures and note taking will get easier and easier. It slows the game down a splash unless you're lucky enough to have a scribe near by, but it makes sharing so much fun!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah it was in GW but a private club hosts games nights there. They have some awesome terrain and lots of it, we had to make sure the board wasnt too cluttered but we just wanted to include some of the awesome pieces.

I was a little worried about my 10% GW products army (I think I have 15 chaos androids scattered around in it and some orcs) but luckily the staff are not familiar with epic so didnt realise the warriors were not GW stuff.

I will try and note down the next game and hopefully do a little better. I am playing against a veteran so we will spend less time rules checking and I will get more chances to write stuff down. I really enjoy reading the really well document reports as they are really easy to follow especially with lots of pictures.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice Battlereport. I am looking forward to your next one. Welcome to this great game :)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hena wrote:
Some details on how you did this would be helpful to determine of it was correct. But anyway the Drop Pod is a marker put to one position for the entire formation (not per unit). Then the 15cm range is checked and lastly units are deployed as per rules. The Pod is removed after the drop it doesn't stay on board.

We were not sure about the drop pods. We left them on the board just counting them as cover that anyone could use, a bit like abandoned vehicles.

Hena wrote:
Umm ... Pylons weapon has TK, so units cannot get armour saves. Thus it should do damage and not be shrugged off (unless that describes 1 damage).

Yeah the T-birds only took a point of damage each and as they did not show up again I counted that as shrugging it off. I will word it better next time.

Hena wrote:
Well then I gotta add that it's Obelisk and Devastator :D.

Woop that means I got deadnought right! (maybe) I spelt that 4 different ways before I gave up. I just like to make up the names of things as I go along.

Grimgork wrote:
Very nice Battlereport. I am looking forward to your next one. Welcome to this great game :)

Thanks alot and im looking forward to the next one too!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Woop that means I got deadnought right! (maybe) I spelt that 4 different ways before I gave up.

A dreadnought isn't a deadnought till it fails a save ;)

Sorry couldn't resist that one. Nice report, very nice army, look forward to seeing more action.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ack!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nice report.
those are some unique necrons, they look great

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice report, definitly real sweet looking Necrons Army, welcome to the boards here, and most of all welcome to the wonderful world of Epic-A ;D Glad to have ya aboard.

About Battle Reports: I haev been in the position of having to do a report, take notes at the same time, and answer rules questions. The trick is to have two fully functional brains and three arms. Lacking in those, like I do, requires a bit of cheating be done.

(1) Have your opponent draw up a copy of his army list for you, tell him it is for a battle report you are doing and you will mention his name in that report. I am sure he will be glad to do it.

(2) Use a clipboard with 8.5"x11" paper on it. Each turn note the activations taken, in order for that turn, as they occur. Something as simple as Space Marine Devs #2 fired on Warrior #3 three losses suffered. Then leave a open line under that note before starting the next one. This will be explained in a moment. Do this while your opponent is activating and remember the note soesn't have to contain any fancy prose.

(3) Take a picture at the start of each turn and at the end of the last turned played.

Putting the Report together..........................................
Ok the smoke has cleared and the smell of burning dice is still fresh in the air now its time to flesh out your report. That empty line left below each activation is for filling in the details the note missed. With the picture of the first turn in front of you and the scratch note in hand your mind will remember the details of what happened, put those in open line in very simple terms. After filling in each open line its time to get serious and write the report out. With the fleshed out notes and the pictures you will be able to recall more then you think and the re-write into better sounding words will be dead easy as you will not be straining to remember what happened and you can take your time.

Hope this helps
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jaldon454 wrote:
(2) Use a clipboard with 8.5"x11" paper on it. Each turn note the activations taken, in order for that turn, as they occur. Something as simple as Space Marine Devs #2 fired on Warrior #3 three losses suffered. Then leave a open line under that note before starting the next one. This will be explained in a moment. Do this while your opponent is activating and remember the note doesn't have to contain any fancy prose.

Or just use the awesomely made Battle Report Sheets! =)

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=13917

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great looking Necrons, don't worry about the mistakes, I make loads too. Thanks for the report.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love those necron monolith things, very HG Wells!