Login |  Register |  FAQ

Ropecon 2009

Post subject: Ropecon 2009
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Time to play after a one year break. As we had less time than usual, Hena decided that go with 2150 (2150? What the point amount is that? 2000 + squadron of Thunderbolts he told me...). After kicked a bit around by IG Valkyrie army last year and as we had limited time and points, I decided to go with something different this year. Army that has been speculated for some time but no one really had fielded, I guess mainly because of the required figs.

Imperial Purgers Space Marines:
Land Speeders + SC
6x Land Speeders
2 Warhounds (BTS)
Thunderbolts (2000 + thunderbolts =)

First against tneva. You can read about that elsewhere, but neverthless, after bad start I then exploited his advance to the middle of my land speeders. The loss of regimental HQ was downfall as he rolled only '1's for the activations for the rest of the match. Neverthless I had problems winning at turn 3 and mainly won 2-0 on that turn as he forgot the 'They Shall Not Pass' objective, could have easily extended this to turn 4 (and it would have not been over in one hour)

Next match was against Hena and his LatD. As I have played with Hena several times and he really knows all the rules and is not afraid of using them, I dumped all the fair fight courtesy and chose the corner deployment. Then as Hena struggled to get chaos into engage range I swamped them with speeders. Luck was on my side as Lords of Battles got really burned up by my speeders (usually 2 hits on double) and Hena failed to rally anything broken on turn 1 and 2. Couldn't get blitz after Warhound engage failed, but still won 3-0 on turn 3 as I again claimed "They Shall Not Pass"

Last one was against Biel-Tan Eldar. This was seen as match with clear outcome beforehand, and even while I made an error of forgotting his vampire filled with aspect warriors (should had put thunderbolts to CAP), they failed to destroy both warhounds and were then promptly wiped by speeders. Then I just surrounded and engaged all the other Eldar and we ended it at the start of the turn 3 when Eldar has left one Guardian activation near his blitz. Most probably this would have turned out 5-0 but as 4-0 is as good we did not bother to play.

Result? First place but did not play against position #2, Speed Freaks, which would have been a hard fight. That list is VERY suspicious, maybe I will try it next year.. :]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 05 Aug. 2009, 14:01 )

I feel like that I'd want a rematch against that list with full 3k versions.

But I really do not have THAT many Land Speeders... and then there would be less space to maneuver =]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Hena @ 05 Aug. 2009, 12:27 )

I have couple of speeder formations painted for loaning and I figured that 3k would be a bit easier due to space :)).

Ah, were you playing on smaller battlefields with the 2150 point games?

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?