Login |  Register |  FAQ

three 3K AMTL Vs Ork Games

Post subject: three 3K AMTL Vs Ork Games
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I managed to get three games in against beardy today.  He took Orks and I tried out AMTL 3.0 whatever it is now :D

Waaagh Beardy
Warband; two extra boys (with grotz), 4 battle wagonz, 2 flakk wagonz
Warband; two extra boys (with grotz), 4 battle wagonz, 2 flakk wagonz
Big warband; 2 battle forts
Big blitz brigade: 2 zzap forts
Gargant with two soopa gunz and a mega choppa and warboss
Gun mob: mek (zzap gun), flakk wagon

Legio vesta, Battle group Persius
Scion of Ryza Warlord; 2 plasma cannons, 2 plasma destructors, legate, CML
Storm binger Warlord; 3 MRL, carapace landing pad, CML
?The chapel? Ordinatus  Majoris; 2 triple barrelled turbo lasers
Romulus Warhound; Vulcan mega bolter, plasma blastgun
Remus Warhound; Vulcan mega bolter, plasma blastgun

Game 1
The game started with Scion marching forwards into some ruins, daring the orks to attack.  Which they did, in great numbers.  The stripped all of scions shields and caused 3 DC of damage to the titan breaking it, forcing it to fall back to the previous set of ruins it held.

The rest of the titans managed to cause very little damage, due to the Orks hiding behind their wagonz.  However the gargant did lose all of its? shields and Scion did rally.

Turn two started with scion marshalling back its shields and then blasting apart the majority of the blitz brigade, leaving 6 gun wagonz, which fled into the nearby ruins, wrecking three of them.  Stormbringer managed to blast apart the majority of the big warband and one of the smaller mechanized ones, whilst the chapel caused a few points of damage to the Gargant and started a fire in it (which was somewhat amusing because we were using a squigoth as a bio Gargant).

Turn three saw an attempted charge at scion with the remaining Orks, which was seen off by scion, Romulus and the chapel, followed by The nearby Orks being blasted apart.  Beardy did manage to break Remus, but this just gave him a double move up the highway towards the Ork blitz.  In the end phase the Squigoth/gargant finally burnt to death and fall over and Remus rally

Turn four was a mopping up exercise with the titans moving to secure objectives and the Orks getting crushed underfoot.

End of Game  titans win 4-0
Blitz, take and Hold, they shall not pass, Break their spirit Vs nothing.  No Orks were left on the table!

Game two.
After a brief discussion about how Beardy went for my most dangerous formation first.  We decided that it would of been best for him to take out the warhounds and Chapel first then try for the big guys.  So we went again, we redeployed the objectives.  This time Beardy made sure that the two in my side were on opposite ends of the board so that there was no chance of me getting defend the Flag.

My opening move was to shell the blitz brigade with storm bringer, a bad idea, considering that the mek warbands were in their trucks and tempting targets, and I killed a single trukk.  The turn continued with my titans again cautiously staying within the cover of the ruined hab blocks, taking pot shots at the transports, to reduce the Ork?s speed.

Beardy got the second turn and engaged an overly exposed warhound with a warband, with the big warband and blitz brigade in support.  Oddly enough the warhound crashed to the ground.  In response Scion blew apart the blitz brigade.  The Gargant then led a combined charge with a warband on scion, only to be thrown back, due to the voids (Beardy managed to land 13 hits on scion.  6 got stopped by the voids and the other 7 by my lovely pink dice).  Massed rocket fire from storm bringer then broke the back of Waagh and turns 3 and 4 were spent claiming the objectives.

This time it was a 3-0 victory.
Blitz, take and Hold, they shall not pass Vs nothing and 2 big gunz remaining

Game three, we swapped table sides (Beardy was adamant that he would win with Orks, even though I offered to swap armies)

This time I took advantage of both warbands starting in their trucks, next to each other, and opened up with storm bringer.  Breaking one warband and mauling the other.  Luckily for Beardy I managed to kill all of the transported Orks, so that there were non left without room in the transports.  The blitz brigade snuck around the far side of the board, like some zoggin blood axes.

Turn two started with the blitz advancing on the lone warhound sent to stop them and blasting apart with kannons and shootas.  The Gargant then engaged scion in a firefight and broke (with no damage being done to either side.  Scion then turned round and vaporised the blitz brigade.  At some point the big warband was broken

Turn 3 had the Ordinatii engage in a fire fight and explode from a critical, taking most of its attackers with it.  Then turns 3 and 4 took on the same aspect as the following two games with the titans cleaning house

End of game
Blitz, take and Hold, they shall not pass Vs nothing.

Beardy did have some appaling luck in the three games.  He failed dozens of difficult terrain tests (of the 6 remaining gun wagonz from the blitz brigade in game one, I killed one and the other 5 killed themselves) and the gargant failed to fail in games two and three.

I also found that this particular battle group is perfect for use against Orks.  The Ordinatii blasts apart the transports slowing down the mobs and making them easier targets for Stombringer.  Scion also found a use.

I have come to the conclusion that MW attacks are optimal against armours of 4+ and better and 5+RA and worst, so Ork vehicles and Marines.  Against armour 5+ and worse you are best off using normal AP and AT attacks, since you get more of them for your points, against 4+RA and better you really need TK to make a dent.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmmm, seems like you've learned to win with AMTL v3. :D

Any balance thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Evil and Chaos @ Apr. 12 2008,19:48)
Hmmm, seems like you've learned to win with AMTL v3. :D

Any balance thoughts?

Not sure yet.  I am finding that titans, as I play them, are very enemy specific.  I do mono task my titans, but it does mean that when they come across the perfect enemy then they will rip them apart.

Despite the carnage that they caused I think that the plasma weapons are priced about right.  Against RA opponents they will have less of an impact.

I do think that the CLP or the MRL might need a slight buff in points.  Storm bringer sat off of the blitz (in cover for two games) happily shelling the enemy.  In 12 turns he advanced once to get the warband into his LoS and engaged once when two broken warbands tried to hide behind him.

Unsupressable 9BP at 120cm with 1+ initative is very good.  I was lucky that beardy didn?t have any fighta bommas, to place BMs to make it a 2+, but even then I had 3 CMLs on the field and my forces stayed clustered until turn three, so the amount of flak would off seen off the raids, or at least

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I do think that the CLP or the MRL might need a slight buff in points.

The Rocket Launcher could go up to +25 points (And the CLP would consequentially go down in price a little bit, but would still end up more expensive).

To maintain book prices, the Reaver would go down to 575pts for the chassis.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

my tactics are getting better :D
but i keep losing site of the objetives mid game :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd like to see you guys swap armies for a game or two, just to check. :p

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Evil and Chaos @ Apr. 12 2008,22:32)

ill probably lose anyway

but none of these games count as loss as only grots survived any of them and noo one listens to grots :p

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

just like the egyiptians recording a lose as a victory as there was no proof because no one listens to the enemy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yey i have a blue square

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Evil and Chaos @ Apr. 12 2008,22:32)

We have done this once or twice.  I still win. :D

The only times I have lost have been with marine.

Though I will say Beardy had really bad luck With his Gargant.  In games two and three it broke on turn2 and failed to rail for on 1s for the rest of the game.

He also either wins assaults by wiping me out, or he rolls a double one for combat res and loses!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

marines suck thats the only reason you lost

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

o and incase some of you have not guesd my dice seem to hate me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quite few formations in ork army...
battlewagons are quite expensive way to move orks around (compare to chimeras, for example - but I guess this is meant to be AMTL, not ork, thread =), I would go for landa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Its certainly a surprising AMTL list. With only 5 activations and 3 of them 'weak' most of the armies I encounter (guard, marines with terminators, air assaults and warhounds, Orks with zaps and landas etc) would try to swiftly strip it down to both the warlords then if guard or Orks try and take it out, or if anyone else hide and outmanoaver for the VPs.

Just a check - you are (the orks that is) placing one objective on the midway line on the far table edge and one on the midway line right table edge, with the blitz wherever seems good? That makes getting the blitz and take and hold very hard for the Titans, especially if you target the warhounds. Also his best bet is to place the objectives as close to him as possible so putting yours on the midway line make him be a bit further back or allong due to the 30cm distance between objectives rule.

Heres a picture.

Or of course play corner to corner if you win the roll and really stuff him :)

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is a genral thread Rpr, if you could give some pointers so that the Orks could do better it would be grand.

TRC:  I kept the hounds near the warlord for suport and in cover almost all of the time.  coupled with the fact the the Orks need to double to be able to activate (BMs and initative 3 don't mix) meant that beardy needed 7s or 8s to hit me.

the only time the hounds would break away form the battle group and cover would vbe late game, for dashes towards objectives.