Login |  Register |  FAQ

3000 Black Legion v Space Marines

Post subject: 3000 Black Legion v Space Marines
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A game from Leeds Night Owls today, Emperor's_Shadow's Codex Marines vs my Black Legion. My first game against SM, and ES's first game with SMs for a LONG time, so a new experience for both of us.

Rules Used:

EA Rulebook Standard + Skimmer changes

Forces:

Space Marines (10 activations)

Thunderhawk
Assault Detachment with Chaplain
Devastator Detachment with Librarian

Thunderhawk
Devastator Detachment with 2 Dreadnoughts

Tactical Detachment with Hunter, 3 Razorbacks (BTS)

Whirlwind Detachment with Hunter

Terminators with Chaplain

Terminators with Librarian

Thunderbolts

Black Legion (9 activations)

Chaos Marine retinue with Rhinos, Warlord

Chaos Marine retinue with Rhinos, Sorcerer

Raptors retinue, 8 Raptors

Chosen, 4 Chosen

Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Armoured Company, 6 Land Raiders

Armoured Company, 6 Predators

Assault Company, 3 Death Wheels (BTS)

Objectives for both sides were placed in a triangle, blitz in the centre of the baseline and the other two about halfway towards the centre line, approx 30 cm from each other.

Deployment

The folorn hopes each garrisoned one of the objectives in the chaos half, with units thrown forward into the ruins in the centre.

No loyalist garrisons.

The black legion deployed in three closely supporting groups, from left to right the predators and the sorcerers retinue; the death wheels, landraiders and raptors; the warlords retinue.

The loyalists deployed their whirlwinds behind some ruins in the centre of their line, and the tactical infantry within the ruins, with their transports behind.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 1

Identifying the banners of the chaos warlord, the loyalist terminator detachment, led by a chaplain, teleported down on the extreme right of the traitor line (gaining 1 BM). The chaos commander responded by calling down his chosen to shield himself from the attack (who gained no BM), but a second detachment of imperial terminators, led by a librarian, teleported down to threaten his retinue (gaining 1 BM).

The black legion won initiative, and the raptors surged forward to defend the warlord, engaging the librarian's terminator bodyguard in a firefight. The warlords retinue and a death wheel provided support fire and the terminators were forced back, losing three squads, while 1 unit of raptors was destroyed. The imperial marines refused to give much ground, however.

Retaining the initiative, the chosen surged forward to engage the chaplains detachment. Fierce fighting broke out as the chaos and imperial elites fought nearly to the death, but the support fire of the warlords retinue brought the chosen victory, with the loss of 3 stands, while the loyalists were wiped out and the chaplain slain by the lord leading the chosen. The chosen withdrew into the craters occupied by the raptors, to the fore of the warlords retinue.

The imperials took advantage of the bunched up raptors poor deployment in wake of the assault and bombarded them, catching the lord of the chosen and the lord of the raptors, slaying both as well as another 2 units of raptors. The broken raptors retreated to some ruins near the chaos left flank.

The first folorn hope doubled, and occupied the rightmost chaos objective, sniping at the tactical marines in the ruins, killing a stand.

The navy was tardy, and the thunderbolts failed to arrive.

The second folorn hope occupied the leftmost chaos objective, and sniped at the tactical marines ineffecually, merely placing a blast marker.

The marines called in a thunderhawk, that strafed the warlords retinue but only placed a blast marker.

The chaos predators raced up the left flank, marching deep into enemy territory, to draw a bead on the whirlwinds.

The marines called in a second thunderhawk to strafe the sorcerers retinue, placing a blast marker.

The sorcerer ordered his men forward, marching to support the predators deep in enemy territory.

The marine tacticals exchanged fire with the folorn hope holding the rightmost objective, not doing any real damage but suppressing a stand (1 BM)

Fearful of air assault, the chaos landraiders went into overwatch, and the warlord doubled to take a position screening the landraiders and the three objectives in the chaos half of the table.

Meanwhile, the deathwheels marched down the centre of the board, racing past the ruins to end up very close to the rubble  held by the whirlwinds and loyalist tactical detachment!

End Phase

The Raptors and folorn hope failed to rally, as did the remaining loyalist terminator stand but all other units rallied.

The Thunderhawks disengaged, doing a showy red arrows fly by manouvre

The battlefield at the end of turn 1
Chaos Marine lines at the end of turn 1
Chaos armour advances!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 2

Black Legion win initiative

The Death Wheels rumbled forward, skirting the ruins the whirlwinds were hidden behind and assaulted them and the tactical detachment in an intermingled firefight. The fighting is fierce, going to a second round, but in the end the whirlwinds are wiped out and the tactical marines lose a hunter and two rhinos, the rest retreating away from the death wheels and further into the ruins, reluctant to yield the blitz objective to chaos.

A thunderhawk screamed overhead, and landed on the extreme right edge of the warlords retinue. Overwatch fire from the land raiders destroyed it, but not before it disgorged a devastator detachment and two dreadnoughts! although outnumbered, the devastators were well positioned and cut down two chaos marine stands, a land raider and a rhino for the loss of two devastators, only being driven off once the chaos forces had finally reacted to the attack.

Attempting to capitalise on this landing, the loyalists attempted to retain the initiative, but the second thunderhawk stood down.

The warlords retinue responded by opening fire upon the retreating devastators and destroying two stands.

The navy finally arrived, strafing the death wheels but not causing any damage (1 BM)

Both folorn hopes manouvered into position and doubled more troops into the bunker objectives they had siezed, opened up on the broken tactical marines, having no effect.

The sorcerers retinue doubled to seize the imperial blitz, raking the ruins with fire as they did so and cutting down two squads of retreating loyalist marines. The chaos predators raced around to surround the loyalists, and in a withering crossfire destroyed their transports and cut down the remaining squads!

End phase

The folorn hope, raptors and death wheels failed to rally. The terminator stand remaining rallied, as did all other formations.

The battlefield at the end of turn 2
Chaos Marine lines, end of turn 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 3

Space Marines win initiative

The remaining terminators doubled forward and raked the warlords retinue with assault cannon fire, placing a blast marker.

In response, the land raiders went onto overwatch, before being strafed by the thunderbolts for a blast marker.

The warlord moved his retinue to a better screening position, and fired with little effect at the terminator squad. But even as he did so, a thunderhawk screamed overhead and dropped a mass of loyalist marines on the chaos blitz objective, assaulting the land raiders and the broken raptors! Again, the chaos overwatch fire destroyed the thunderhawk. An assault detachment led by a chaplain overran the landraiders, and the devastators raked the raptors with fire, although some of the raptors were able to get into base contact. The combat went to a tie, before the loyalists were victorious in the end, losing an assault and a devastator unit but wiping out the raptors and destroying 3 landraiders.

At this point we called it quits as ES worked out there was no way for him to win, with the black legion still having its death wheels and large units of infantry left. The black legion had Break Their Spirit, Take and Hold, and Blitz, to the Space Marines having Blitz.

Phew!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I always think it is pretty gutsy to play a Marine army without Titans. When I do I always find that I am having difficulty with WEs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the batrep Kleomenes.

The Marines didn't appear to have much luck in this game, as well as the lack of titans as PG pointed out.

Turn 1
TBolts fail to activate.
Both THawks fail to kill anything.

Turn 2
TBolts don't kill anything.
THawk is killed by OW fire as it lands.
THawk fails to retain.

Turn 3
THawk dies to OW fire.
Game ends before TBolts activate.

Considerable amounts of points that either didn't make an impact or was destroyed very quickly.  And that was with no enemy AA.

Add the 150 points of SM AA that wasn't needed (no chaos flyers).   And the huge amount of points of terminators wiped out before they could activate (SM lost initiative on turns 1+2).  And its not surprising that the BL was able to out-muscle the rest of the SMs.

This is not a criticism of the SM player.  The SM list is such that if you meet a bad match up, and have a run of bad dice (even a lost initiative roll can be extremely costly), it can go wrong fast.  When the Terminators lost initiative and got pasted the SM were immediately on the ropes.

Very intelligent use of OW by the Landraiders.  With no AA this was the best way to kill the THawks (which prevents them from later taking/contesting objectives with ease).  Not just dropping a unit on OW, but positioning other units within the OW umbrella.

My main recommendation to the SM player would be to use a SC.  The reroll can be critical for SM armies, on turn 2 the air assault didn't come down due to retaining.  Or if it's not used during a turn it can be very useful to reroll a rally test, as single units of SMs can still be useful (even if just as an initiative sink).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We came to the same conclusion after the game that the loss of the terminators was a big blow to the SM from which it was hard to recover. We even spent a few minutes playing out what would have happened if the initiative roll had gone the other way, and it was a lot better for the SM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Added some links to the pictures we took during the game

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:55 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the report, looks like ES over committed at the very start of the battle and was always trying to recover after that. Must have been too easy a game on Friday for him.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

He showed me the list he used on friday before we started - if I'd faced that I think my army would have been a smoking ruin!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes i lost got massaced loss of terminators hurt alot very poor dice rolling but i have come up with a better list for our next battle but still no titans or maby i will use IG (18 shadowswords)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

(Emperors Shadow @ Mar. 11 2008,11:54)
Yes i lost got massaced loss of terminators hurt alot very poor dice rolling but i have come up with a better list for our next battle but still no titans or maby i will use IG (18 shadowswords)

There comes to mind a saying about too much of a good thing....  :)

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think my irrational fear of shadowswords is becoming well known!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Kleomenes @ Mar. 11 2008,12:19)
I think my irrational fear of shadowswords is becoming well known!

Nothing irrational about it :-)