Login |  Register |  FAQ

tech guard Vs marines 9/2/08

Post subject: tech guard Vs marines 9/2/08
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Beardy Fluffbag and myself will be having a 3K point game down at our local GW on Saturday (Reading UK). ?Since he doesn?t have an army yet (apart from about a dozen ?Grots?) so I will be supplying both armies. ?We will roll to see who gets which army and then randomly determine the composition (so I can?t unconsciously fix either of the lists). ?We will be using the normal rulebook rules.

The armies are going to be standard marines and Techguard 1.46. ?I?m going to post the three marine lists now and the three tech guard lists latter on (I am waiting to see if my FW order will arrive, otherwise it will be a foot slogging army), for critique and so Fluffy will have some idea of what he will be using.

List one
Tactical
4 razorbacks (two of each)
Capatin

Tactical
4 razorbacks (two of each)
Supreme commander
Hunter
BTS

Predators (two of each)

Whirlwinds
Librarian (50pts spare)
Hunter

Devastators
Librarian
2 CC dreads

Thunderhawk

Thunderbolts

2 warhounds

List two ?I want to try this one out.
Terminators
4 land raiders
Supreme commander
BTS (big surprise there :p )

Devatators
2 land raiders

Devatators
2 land raiders

Predators (two of each)

Assault
Captain

Assault
Chaplin

Thunderhawk

Thunderbolts

Thunderbolts

List three
Tactical
2 razorbacks (one of each)
Captain

Tactical
captain

Tactical
Hunter
Captain

Tactical
Hunter
Supreme commander
BTS

Devastators
Librarian

Devastators
Librarian

Predators (two of each)

Whirlwinds

As you all might be able to see my lists are made from what looks cool, rather than what might work (List three was designed to fit in all my non land raider transports for the ultimate rhino rush).

More to come later, maybe even some pictures if I can get the camera to work, and yes this is a big tease. :D

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I feel bad about having such a long wait between the first post and the battle it self. ?So here is list two. ?Marine heavy armour.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:30 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Cool. Reading used to be my local GW... but this was when it was down a side street next to 'The Mall'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(CyberShadow @ Feb. 04 2008,11:30)
Cool. Reading used to be my local GW... but this was when it was down a side street next to 'The Mall'.

It is now on the outside of the broadstreet mall.  Though it doesn't deserve the name mall.  It has an upstairs ready to be converted into a bunker (typical GW logic having the bunker on the first floor :D ).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:48 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

:)  All of the shops in Reading just jump around to follow the latest big shopping centre built... now the Oracle.

GW moved from the side street to inside the Mall... then I guess it moved again. The new place sounds great. It used to be a small shop, but the staff were pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is just outside of where it use to be.  The gaming area is as big as th old store insode the mall.

The staff are still great.  They still ignore regulars and are surprised when we buy something :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well my FW order still hasn?t arrived (well it has only been 14 days, but I thought that they would have a plentiful supply of epic stuff, so either it is sold out or they are focusing on 40K sales). ?So my three tech guard lists will have lots of foot sloggers backed up by really expensive war engines. ?Come to think of it that sounds like the Ad mech?s standard plan.

List one - Heavy hitters
God bane
Reaver titan (from the legio vesta list)
2 arm mounted volcano cannons
Carapace turbo laser destroyers
Two defender turrets
BTS

Cataphractii cohort (6 executioners, one with leader)
Cataphractii ala (3 executioner tanks)

Clibinarii cohort (two baneblades, one with leader)
Clibinarii ala (baneblade)

Linitanei cohort (5 skitarri, 1 tribune)
Skitarri maniple (5 skitarri, 1 tribune)
Scorpionarius maniple (4Sagitarii )
Arch Magos (1 arch magos, 1 skitarri honour guard, 1 command chimera)

Linitani cohort (5 skitarri, 1 tribune)
Scorpionarius maniple (4Sagitarii )
Magos (1 magos, 1 skitarri honour guard, 1 command chimera)

List two - butter popcorn
Rhightous prejudice
Warlord titan (from the legio vesta ?list)
2 arm mounted gatling blasters
2 carapace turbo lasers
BTS

Hydra (1 hydra)

Sagittarius maniple (4 Sagitarii, 1 tribune)

List three - Break this spirit!
Brighid?s Chariot
Reaver titan (from the legio vesta list)
Arm mounted chain fist
Arm mounted gatling blaster
Carapace gatling blaster

BTS

Scorpionarius maniple (4 Sagitarii)

The third list is designed to see if 3 SHT ad 6 MBT as a single formation is broken. ?It is slowed down by the SHTs, but the smaller tanks can hide behind theirbigger brethren to avoid being shot (or to get hull down) and can be spaced to reduce the effects of BMs. ?For example a normal SHT company with 3BM would lose the shots form a single SHT (quite a lot), but with 3 russes 1 can be dropped back to the back of the unit to be suppressed leaving two for the SHTs, which wont surpress them.

Edit: forgot the third infantry fornmation in list one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well we got the Game in.  Fluffy choose to be techguard and I got marines.  We rolled for armies and both got heavy hitters.  I was going to be facing a twin volcano cannon reaver with a load of Landraiders!

We played along long edges.  Objectivewise I played the two in the techguard side reasonable close together, so I could focus my small force whilst the two placed in my side were spread wide apart.

Fluffy garrisoned one Limitanei formation in the building near one objective and the other one (with his supreme commander) on a hill off of his own blitz.

I had nothing to garrison.

Normal deployment I spread my boyz out in a long line with the infantry out of the landraiders (no way were they going to wait to be shot), with the devastators infront of their riders to absorb any incoming volcano cannon shots.

(The Thunderhawk and assault marines are not there, they are waiting in reserve).

Fluffy kept the remains of his force in a tight cluster.

The plan.

The plan was to kill the Reaver as soon as possible, to stop it from blowing up my expensive land raiders and to get BTS.  After that I would see where the pieces were to see what pother objective to get.

To kill the Reaver I was going to strafe it with the thunderbolts to give it BM and to drop its? shields before dropping the assault marines on it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 1
Marine win the inititive and start with a strafing run by one Thunderbolt wing. ?They come in low from the side so that only one defender turret can see them, and one bird is blown out of the sky. ?In return two void shields are dropped.

The terminators retain with a double and move up behind the forest before disembarking, hopefully the Reaver wont be able to move to see them.

The Limitanei garrisoned forwards advance from the building so that their heavy weapons squads are in range of devastator formation 1 and vaporise one stand of marines.

God Bane then advances on the second devastator formation and vaposrises one stand of marines with its? volcano cannons.

In response the second devastator formation doubles towards the titan and scream abuse at it

The fly boys of the imperial navy decide to show them how it is done and scream in to ?drop a single void shield

The Clibinarii cohort then advances towards the second devastator formation and open fire with battle cannons, auto cannons and las cannons, all aimed at the tanks. ?The marines laugh as only 4 out of 12 shots hit, then both Land raiders explode (I failed 3 out of 4 4+RA saves!).

The Limitanei cohort on the hill then shuffle around a bit.

The preds then advance on the Reaver. ?The annihilators are gallantry ordered in front to absorb any return fire. ?They then open up with a mass lascannon volley . ?Taking down the last void shield and causing 2Dc of amage to the titan, which then runs straight at them, broken!

Devastator formation 1 decide to make use of this target of opportunity and begin to recite battle hymns. ?The supremem commander tells them to get a move on, so they hurry the last few verses advance right up to the titan and miss with everything!

The Cataphractii cohort then advances and turn their massive executioner cannons towards the predators that defiled the sacred avatar of the machine god, and promptly blow them all up. (nine dice needing 5+ and he gets 5 hits!)

I now have a dilemma. ?What do I air assault. ?I have overdone prepping the Reaver for the assault and it is now in my half of the table, so if I assault it my assault marines will be out of place. ?My other two options are the intermingled tanks and super heavy tanks or the Limitanei on the hill. ?If I beat the Limitanei then I could kill fluffy?s supreme commander, but I will be exposed to a counter battery fire from the tanks. ?Attacking the tanks will be riskier but has a much greater reward. ?In the end I decide to go for the glory and air assault the tanks.

I manage to base every single leman russ and the combined pressance of so many WE means only 2 Baneblades can see my infantry and the last has to shot my thunderhawk.

The combat is bloody with the thunderhawk being blown out of the air, and three stands of assault marines being killed, including both my Chaplin and Captain from fire form the Baneblades (they were the closest units :blush: . However 5 Russes are wrecked by my marines. ?We roll off and it is a tie (If only my Chaplin had survived, rather than face down a battle cannon shell.). ?

The battle goes on another round with ?another 5 assault marines dying as they take down another 2 Russes. ?The final stand of assault marines loses by about 10 and is crushed beneaeth the treads of an executioner. ?I had managed to maul and break the Russes but the SHTs were unharmed though coverd in blast markers. ?In return I had Lost 3 formations.

Rallying
The titan fails to rally (happy dance). ?Everything else rallies and the Thunderbolts leave by my table edge. 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 2
Initiative marines
First devastator formation sustain fires at the titan, noticing a crossfire with second devastators, causing another point of damage on the infernal machine.

Second devastators retain and also sustain at the titan causing another two points of damage to th Reaver.  Just one left.

The two remaining executioners sustain on 2nd devastators, placing a BM (Thank the dark gods for slow firing).

The forward Limitanei cohort then sustain fires at 2nd devastators, killing one and breaking the other two, forcing them to hide in the woods.

The terminators then double back to the stricken titan and blaze away at it with everything they have, 1 hit....but it is enough and the god machine crashes to the earth.

In retaliation the Banebades advance on the terminators and blow one stand of them into very small peices.

The second Limitanei formation then sustains from the hill at the terminators and kills a landraider (at least I don?t have too many infantry to carry).

The single Thunderbolt stands down (worried about non existant flak).

The pair do a lazy circle of the battle field, coming up behind the Baneblades, trying to snipe at the command tank, but do nothing.

2nd devastators fail to rally, as do the super heavy tanks, everything else rallies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 3
Initiative marines
In a bold, or possible rash, move the terminators mount up in their Land raiders and march onto the admech blitz. ?There are still tech guard near it, but they will be dealt with next turn.

The pair of Thunderbolts then ground attack the Baneblades, again aiming for the command tank and this time causing 1 point of damage to it.

The pair of remaining executioners open up at the sulking remains of 2nd devastator, but the tick woods make all their shots go astray.

The Limitanei on the hill then engage the terminators behind them (I goaded Fluffy into attacking me). 5 stands of tech guard are hacked down for the loss of a single land raider, but the remaining terminators and transports are pushed back, broken

The single Thunderbolt then follows the lead of the other squadron and causes another point of damage to the command tank of the Baneblades

Devastator one then sustain fire at the techguard ?who were lottering outside of cover near them.5 stands were blown apart by heavy bolters and missiles.

The Baneblades try to advance and fail, so fire a few shots at devastator one and miss.

Everyone rallies except the Baneblades and the broken 2nd devastators
We both have one objective

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 4
Initiative marines

The pair of thunderbolts try to help out the terminators and scream in and blow up the command Chimera on the Limitanei on the hill, placing two BMs.

The Terminators then engage the Limitanei.  4 Tech guard and the Arch Magos are killed for the lost of a single terminator.  However the fact that there were hundreds of them and I rolled a 1 and a 2 in the dice off, meant that I lost yet again and another squad of terminators were hacked down as I pulled back a bit more.

The Limitanei then tried to counter engage but failed, so they shot a the fleeing terminators, doing nothing.

Devastator one sustain at the forward Limitanei cohort and blow up its? command Chimera

The Baneblades try to marshal but fail, so move closer to an objective

The single thunderbolt then ground attacks the Baneblades and breaks them by flying to close.

The forwards Limitanei cohort then tries to sustain at the first devastators and fails so they move deeper into the building.

The executioners then double round the woods to fire at the still fleeing members of 2nd devastators, but their shots all miss.

The terminators, Baneblades and 2nd devastators all fail to rally, everyone else rallies

And yes fluffy did only pass one out of 4 activation rolls that turn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 5
Imitative marines

The pair of thunderbolts ground attack the broken Baneblades, making the Lead tanks crew bail out (killed it due to BMs)

The rear Limitanei cohort then engages the broken terminators. ?In the first round of combat 2 techguards are killed for no loss. ?In the second round oly a single tech guard unit it killed. ?I then proceed to roll a 1 and a 2 and the remains of my terminators are wiped out by combat res, however the tecguard were broken by the assault.

The executioners advance on 2nddevastators and miss yet again.

1st Devastator realising that all is lost engage the forward Limitanei cohort, they kill two of the dug in techguard for the lost of one of their own and are then wiped out in combat res (Yet again the final roll let me down).

The remaining thunderbolt ground attack the Baneblades and cause a single point of damage due to BMs.

At that point I had lost. ?We still each only had 1 objective left, but I only had 2 devastators left on the table and Fluffy still had most of his army.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thoughts.

I still don?t know how to play marines.  Maybe I am missing something, but how are they suppose to win if the enemy can easily get more than double your number of units?  Or do you only count units directly involved in the fight?

In hindsight I should of air assaulted the tech guard on the hill in the first turn, rather than he tanks.  This would of cleared the enemy blitz of a strong formation, with a reduced rish to myself.  I could of then gone for the tanks another turn, or with terminators.

Also I should of assaulted the forward techgaurd with the terminators rather than go for the blitz.  Then try to get hol the line and BTS.

As for the Tech guard list.  I think that the executioners could  do with a price bump, the reduced range, to hit value and slow firing didn?t seem to stop them from being effective  Though I will wait and see, it could be due to Fluffy?s luck with them.  The core infantry could also probable do with a slight price hike.  They were rarely able to shoot me if their action was towards the end of the turn, due to BMs shutting down the few ranged fire units, but they were able to dro the BM in the end phase easily, each formation had three leaders in it.

Finally two questions.  The rulebook says that a broken formation counts as having the same number of BM as units.  Is this doubled for marines?

Secondly, shouldn?t they count as having more BM than the enemy?  When my broken termies were assaulted by the tech guard I had fewer BM than them, despite being broken!