Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

2017 - Ork Review

Post subject: Re: 2017 - Ork Review
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have two batreps with the Ork changes, although the Skorcha change did not see any play in the first game because we quit before the Landa hit the field:

Steel Legion vs. Ghaz's War Horde

Ghaz's War Horde vs Epic UK Tyranids

The experimental Ork rules worked well in my opinion and I see no reason not to accept them (duplicated from my second report for your convenience):

- the Skorcha armor save change made me glad I had a mix of units in the KoS - the Warbikes were great in CC and soaked a few hits with their superior save, the Skorchas did the heavy lifting in the Engagement, and I was even glad to have a Buggy so I could lay a BM at 30cm. Still, I would probably ditch the Buggies if I had the models to replace them.

- the Battlefortress did its job acceptably well in the game against the Nids. I think the power fields are only good for buying you one round of not dying to enemy shooting, and only as long as they don't concentrate fire on you. This works fine if the formation is not your BTS formation, and if it doesn't contain your Warlord (otherwise you better believe a competent enemy will focus that Battlefortress down in no time). But if all you want to do is hold a vanilla Warband inside at the end of Turn 1 to prepare for an Engage action in Turn 2, it might do the trick and be worth 50 points. It's certainly not overpowered by any means and I see no harm in taking the change.

Consider that two reports in favor of accepting the minor changes and moving forward.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for stepping up with some reports!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Did a report using the powerfields (no skorchas though).

Full report here - Ghaz Orks vs Adeptus Astartes, 3000 points

Relevant conclusion
Quote:
On the orks' side the warbands did pretty well for themselves. Powerfielded battlefortresses are expensive, but very useful, and certainly seem like a viable choice. As T2 proved, you certainly still need to think about whether to leave the boyz embarked or not after weathering that first turn of shooting. After the game I also took a look at the UK ork list, and it seems that the list I played would have been a legal UK-Ork list, except that the UK stompamob would have been 25 points cheaper. There's really not a lot of difference between the EA and UK lists as things stand.

Final conclusion: definitely allow the powerfields upgrade for EA Ghaz.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

NoisyAssassin wrote:
Did a report using the powerfields (no skorchas though).

Full report here - Ghaz Orks vs Adeptus Astartes, 3000 points

Thanks for the report, quick note from the rule book 6.1.4 4th Paragraph "Units from broken formations or from formations that have rallied that end phase can not capture or contest objectives." So the Gunfortress could not contest the objective.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out, for some reason I was thinking they couldn't capture but could still contest if they rallied that turn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are you looking at giving Ork Nobz Inspiring?

I know many armies get inspiring characters. Orks seem to not get much at all in the way of inspiring.

Dark Eldar Succubus and Sybariyes are both inspiring and leaders. Imperial Guard get a free inspiring commissar that comes with an EA +1 MW BC attack for every 500 points, as does the Vraksian army list get their enforcers. Marines get the Chaplain for 50 points and they have the +1 MW attack, and inspiring. Sisters get the priest for 50 points, and they are like Commissars, except that the Priest has an invul save as well. Eldar get the Autarch and Exarchs with Inspiring. Necons get Pariahs. Squats have Hearthguard.

I would have thought that Nobz who tend to bash about the head any boyz that do not want to charge at the enemy quick enuff would have Inspiring. I can sort of see why they do not have EA+1 MW even if they tend to carry power claws and large 2 handed chain axes. Adding this upgrade would make Nobz too cheap for what you would then get, and their points cost would have to be increased then.

Anyway I have had my input.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But you can buy multiple Nobz in every unit. That would be crazy powerfull with multiple Inspiring +1 for combat resolution.

Another idea would to add the following to the "Mob Rule" rule: The formation gains inspiring ability when having more than 10 models.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I suppose, but I think you still need the Nobz to make sure the formation is inspired - by beating up a few slackerz to get the rest in line.

Perhaps this as an update for the Mob Rules - Rule. Ork Formations which consist of 5 or more units and led by at least 1 Nobz unit get the inspiring rule. It could be worded better, but I think you still need the Nobz to stop them squabbling or running away, and if they get a +1 bonus to remove blast markers or rally for 5 and +2 for 10 or more, then the combination of 5 or more units and must have a Nobz unit will make it less likely to be a game changer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The combination of the nobz being needed to gain that would be interesting. Orks are, after all, very character driven in the fluff and in fact one of the primary ways of dealing with them has been to snipe the warboss so in general, the idea has merit. 5 units to gain that is silly though. That would mean just about everything is inspiring then which doesn't fit.

IIRC we were discussing how to make the Large and 'Uge formations worthwhile occasionally and perhaps that's the key then to gain the path to inspiring? Not really sure, just spit-balling and there's more to it.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Requiring at least one unit of Nobz to get access to the a third tier of Mob Rule is interesting and fluffy, but what about for some of the other formations where adding Nobz is impossible or impractical? Are they just left out? I would much prefer giving Inspiring to formations of 10+ non-Grot units and leaving it at that.

But this is a sidetracked anyway. Can we get a few more battle reports on our minor changes? What else do we need to do to move on?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deb wrote:
Perhaps this as an update for the Mob Rules - Rule. Ork Formations which consist of 5 or more units and led by at least 1 Nobz unit get the inspiring rule. It could be worded better, but I think you still need the Nobz to stop them squabbling or running away, and if they get a +1 bonus to remove blast markers or rally for 5 and +2 for 10 or more, then the combination of 5 or more units and must have a Nobz unit will make it less likely to be a game changer.

Shouldn't that be 6 or more or do Orks only have 4 fingers per hand ;D

Quote:
Ork formations with more than five units (i.e., too many to count on the fingers of one hand),

glad to be of help ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aye, as long as we're still talking about it, the proposed rewording of Mob Rule would properly be something like:

Quote:
Orks believe that as long as there’s a bunch of them still fighting together (slightly more than they can count up to is ideal!) then there’s always a chance that they’ll prevail, no matter the odds. To represent this, Ork formations with more than five units (i.e., too many to count on the fingers of one hand), not including Gretchin or Big Gunz units, receive a +1 modifier to any rally rolls they make, and formations with more than 10 such units receive a +2 modifier. Furthermore, formations with more than 15 such units at the start of an assault gain the Inspiring rule for the duration of the assault. For the purposes of this rule war engine’s count each point of starting damage capacity as a unit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Actually I would not make it that complicated. I would simply tie inspiring to the outnumbering modifier in an assault. Meaning if orks get the outnumbering +1 after removal of casulties they get an additional +1 for inspiring. If the get +2 for having more than twice the number they get the additional +2 for inspiring. Befitting the orky psykology to get all hyped when they see enemies drowning in a green tide making them especially effective in wiping formations when winning and going into a hackdown frenzy or reducing their own hack downs when losing but numbers are still up adding to their sense of prevailing when they are outnumbering the opponent.

This would of course mean it would work with any numbers of orks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It would make it more likely you need to build larger formations - Large or even Uge formations, reducing the trend to min/Max in order to get more activations. Thus you would probably get a few of the larger formations dedicated to engaging the enemy, while the remainder (the rest used to get maximum activations and spread out across the table and take objectives) would be of regular size.

This idea would work well. It would also work well if you use a combined assault. The combined formations would ensure you get the +2 inspiring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With only one Commander on the table it will be very difficult to get a lot of combined assaults

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next