Login |  Register |  FAQ

Warlord SkarGrim's Drop Rok Invasion List

Post subject: Warlord SkarGrim's Drop Rok Invasion List
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello all,

Had an unpleasantly long hobby hiatus, but had this idea for a list for a while.

It's an orky drop pod based list. Using the other Ork lists to do Planetfall based armies is a bit limiting and I have found foot based Warbands to be far too sluggish to have any real effect. Thought I'd put something together to counter this somewhat.

It's supposed to represent the initial stages of an Ork planetary invasion, hence a focus on heavy armour stuff rather than buggies etc (plus a nice screening of lesser contraptions).

Some thoughts:

I know Drop Roks were previously in one of the Gargant based lists but I cannot find a working file anywhere to compare them. They work kind of like the SM drop pods but stick around afterwards to harass the enemy and set up AA zones. I was thinking of expanding their special rules to make it so they can add their own DC towards a mob within 15cm of them for the purposes of the Mob Rule (to represent their usage as rallying points). I'm not sure on their price, hardiness, special rules or purchasing limit yet. I've only really limited them to make the game not slow down massively on their arrival.

Could also add in a bigger Drop Rok that can transport larger units? This could actually replace the Blitz objective? Or maybe the Big Rok (an orbital vessel) actually lands on the board too after the turn on which the other Roks arrive. It carries the heavier stuff.

Could add a bommer and / or a minelayer vehicle that is used for area denial?

Could forget it all and go back to trying to make a Landa based army out of one of the other lists!

Comments, criticism and ripping apart greatly encouraged.

UPDATED to V2
-General errors and omissions fixed.
-Removed leader from Mega Armour Nobz but made a new Mek character for them (will probably remove option to take them in warbands).
-Added Big Rok
-Changed Drop Rok rule

Attachments:
Drop Rok Invasion v2.pdf [442.38 KiB]
Downloaded 594 times

Last edited by tc63 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Warlord SkarGrim's Drop Rok Invasion List
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:43 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I like it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Interesting read. I would like to see some reports on this but feel that garrisoning forces up the table will have a better effect rather than trying to planet fall units on.

On use of Landas I find that 2 are the magic number, any more and you are hopping that your opponent does not have a lot of AA.

Good to have you back tc63, too.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks like a cool concept!

If I were to quibble a bit I'd challenge the idea of an entire formation ('Ard Mob) having the Leader trait. Having them completely remove all blast markers on rallying,even if broken, is probably a bit much. I can see Nobz bashing regular boyz about a bit to restore order, but I don't see a bunch of Nobz doing the same to each other!

I also really like the Grot Bomb character upgrade idea - really flavourful. And while I love the idea that you can put them on Fighta-Bombers, I'd imagine they need to be restrained a bit there. Fliers are not hindered by line of sight or even range really, and with 60 cm range they can comfortably stay out of range of almost every AA unit in the game. And you can equip an entire formation of three FBs with Grot Bombs for only 75 points - I'd think I would take a lot of those formations. Regardless of what you land on as their final stats, they are arguably worth a lot more on fliers than they are on Big Gunz, so you would probably have to cost - or stat - them differently.

Is the War Kopta supposed to be a skimmer? It isn't noted as such. The Mek Stompa (love the idea) is also not noted as having Reinforced Armour.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks all for the comments!

On garrisoning, Probably more effective, but not as much fun as the chance of your drop Rok destroying itself on entry! I have no idea how the list would play alongside garrisoning, hopefully it just means that foot war bands make it to a scrap every now and then. Glad to be back, hoping to make a tournament again soon.

On the Ard Mob leaders, I thought this may be a bit much but am not sure how to get around it without making things fiddly. They are meant to be the vanguard unit of an orky assault, so being a slightly worse version of fearless wouldn’t be so bad if they could be limited more. Maybe 0-1 and only able to add a set number of extra stands?

Good point about the grot bombs on fliers! They could be changed to fixed forward and limit of one in fighta bommer squadrons? So you’d have to have a formation of 9 to get 3 grot bombs but it would still make a nice long range strike unit. And/or they could cost +50 points each in flier formations.

Thanks for the spots on the unit special rules! I’ll add those in shortly. May change the mek stompa to have an interesting close combat weapon yet too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very interesting ! Never heard of Mega Armored Nobz ! And I'd like to so some pics of some of those Ork Roks !

Attachments:
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif [ 3.36 KiB | Viewed 12051 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a quick idea for another orky contraption, the Minelayer.
Wasn't best sure how to implement these, I will have a look how the spore mines are done from the Nids list:

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 10.31 KiB | Viewed 12037 times ]

It's basically a heavy skimmer that can transport a small Warband and drop off some super annoying Minez for the enemy to deal with. I see the Minez just sitting around somewhere and staying on overwatch, ready to pop unless an activation is wasted to deal with them.

I'm hoping to make the Roks from actual igneous rock (picture attached) plus loads of random guns sticking out of it.

Attachments:
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg [ 23.4 KiB | Viewed 12037 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool ! Thanks !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome back.

Good work you have here, quite solid and mainly focused. On the other side I don't like new units in new lists as long as they aren't really necessary but that's my taste and to avoid having to get new minis all the time. In my case i would probably remove every new unit save for the two Roks and maybe the Mega Armoured Nobz.

Don't have much to add, as it is quite well thought, apart from that there is too many Leaders on the Mega Formation. Also, one thing that i cannot understand is why you removed the ZoC of the Drop Rok? I cannot get the reason.

tc63 wrote:
I know Drop Roks were previously in one of the Gargant based lists but I cannot find a working file anywhere to compare them.

Right here, if you want to take a look. They are similar to yours but simpler, like the existing units.
http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... 9&p=419042

tc63 wrote:
Could also add in a bigger Drop Rok that can transport larger units? This could actually replace the Blitz objective? Or maybe the Big Rok (an orbital vessel) actually lands on the board too after the turn on which the other Roks arrive. It carries the heavier stuff.

The second one sound like more fun, but probably the first is the best one. Maybe it could be destroyed or be just a marker like with Necron and Eldar. In my case the idea that there was nothing that proved how the vehicles got down annoyed me but it can be solved by saying that those drop further, out of the board, on bigger transports.

tc63 wrote:
Could add a bommer and / or a minelayer vehicle that is used for area denial?

I think in this case I think it would be better to use the Roks to not spread much the list and give them back their ZoC back and maybe also make them being able to contest but not capture objectives.

Legion 4 wrote:
Very interesting ! Never heard of Mega Armored Nobz ! And I'd like to so some pics of some of those Ork Roks !

They are in two or three of the Experimental lists, but they never got off much unfortunately so they never got to be known much.

Good luck with the list!

Last edited by Abetillo on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm a big fan of innovation when it comes Epic. As I've being "Epicing" since '89. We did many "innovations"/modifying/tweaking, etc. starting with SM1. We being old time gamers since the '60s including all eras and genres' ! We never played any Epic game using just the rules out of the box. E.g. adding unit activation with SM1. And only taking very little from SM2, etc., etc.

We not only modified/added the rules. But use many minis from a number of sources as well. So keep up the good work. I know some are very much "Wedded" to as is out of the box Epic ... But I'm no one of those. :nooo

Attachments:
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif [ 3.36 KiB | Viewed 11914 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like it.

+1 on bigger roks with bigger vehicles. Maybe a dedicated gun rock with even more gunz, but less transport capability?

Like the grot bombers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks again all for the feedback!

I get both sides of the new units debate, but damn if it isn't fun trying to figure out how to best represent them in a smaller scale! I think it depends if the new units are included just because they are new rather than if they fulfil a purpose within the army list. I shan't add any more new units to this list, but think I may make a separate PDF with all kinds of newer units in it for my own amusement.

Thanks for the link to the Gargant list! Previously I was basing the Roks off the Space Marine Drop Pods, hence the lack of ZOC etc. Now they are more like regular units but they still cannot claim objectives (I think that would make them a bit too easy to steal a game with in turn 3).

I've added the Big Rok to the list now, I may give the option to either replace the Blitz or to drop it on the board.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had a thought, before all of this talking about, shouldn't we know first was your objective with this list. Depending on your answer the answers are going to be different. Is it just for showing the list and for others to use? Asking for help to improve it? Or so you want to go more serious with it later? I suppose it is the first option, but better ask than suppose things.

I got an idea: if the list is about the first stage of an Ork Invasion, shouldn't they have no advance troops (they are not Nids with the Lictors and Genestealer Cuts or much techincal or tricky)? Maybe only Kommandos should garrison. This could also give you extra room for crazy ideas while keeping the list away from power creep, in the case you get to that point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Love the concept, this looks like a fun and crazy list that I can't wait to play. I do feel there should be more access to drop roks and that they might be allowed to carry a few more types of units as has been said. I wouldn't be against the ability to have virtually all formations arrive on board in drop roks. Great work so far.

P.S. The Minelayer idea is cool, I could test it out and see how it plays.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This ROKs !!!!! :D

Attachments:
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif
ORK TUMZ UP !.gif [ 3.36 KiB | Viewed 11073 times ]