Login |  Register |  FAQ

Sector secure - Ork activity minimal

Post subject: Sector secure - Ork activity minimal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can't help noticing that there is very little discussion going on in the Ork section of this forum. When most of the faction sections have well in excess of 10 000 posts, Orks are languishing barely ahead of Squats. Squats! That's not even a faction, it's just an ungainly form of exercise.

So... where are all the Ork players at? Is it just that Orks naturally tend toward more subtle forms of communication (grunts and punching) that translate poorly into a text-based online environment? Are the existing Ork lists considered so unassailably perfect that there's simply no need for any development or updates?

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we... 'ang on, where'd all da ladz go? Blimey, dat's a lot of 'oomies wiv gunz...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sector secure - Ork activity minimal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:33 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Probably because the three main ork lists are very well balanced and really don't need any significant changes, coupled with the fact that they are also extremely flexible and can be used to field 90% of the builds people can dream up....

As a result there aren't so many people clamouring to get new lists approved....

It's a good thing :)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:51 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The list is watched over and there are some small changes that have been raised, but not as yet implemented.

The list is balanced and always a good test against the newer lists that come along as well as a check against list creep in current lists.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, I'm not in any way saying that the current lists are bad, I'm just puzzled why there would be five times as much discussion happening around Eldar or Tau (Space Marines and Guard aren't much of a surprise). According to the "nobody is talking about it because the lists are flexible and balanced" assumption, it would seem that the Eldar, Tau, AdMech, Tyranid and Chaos lists... aren't?

There are certainly some things that I'd like to see tweaked in the Ork lists, partly to help them feel more like the Orks that I'm now familiar with rather than the Orks from 20 years ago, and partly because I think some of the lists (Speed Freeks in particular) are a bit uninspired, but mainly I was just curious about how quiet it was in here - I must admit to being a bit dubious that there's nothing worth talking about. ;)

Still, there's always a quick response to anything posted in here, so it's nice to know that people are listening!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't agree wholeheartedly that everything is fully fine with the ork lists, AFAIK there was quite some discussion on gun wagons, fortresses, and allowing a dedicated Kommandoz mob à la Stormboy mob. I myself am strongly in favor of making Stompas (one of my favorite mobs in the main list) a bit more usable without always taking the supa stompa, but those are indeed minor problems. And seeing how reluctant the community is to change established rules - not a bad thing, mind you - I don't foresee any more changes to the core lists anytime soon.

The reason why these forums are so quiet is probably really the flexible nature of the ork lists. As far as I can tell, most activity in the other subforums is about creating new variant lists - to such an extent that I have no idea anymore what is the status with marine lists at the moment. I am actually quite happy, that orks are not going down that messy road of having dozends of sublists (besides possibly the gargant list, which I would really like to see progressing)

On the other hand, there could be more painting and converting logs... maybe one day I will finally get around to start one of my own army...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

es, leading from the ftont is always a good idea to create change.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm still fairly new to the game, orks being my 2nd army after running AMTL for a few months, I'm quite happy with how the list works and i've enjoyed how its balanced.

No complaints here.

Other than a bit of a whinge about how my opponent once managed to shoot both of my landa's out of the sky with lucky crit rolls... hahaha :{[]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I eouldn't mind seeing a price drop on stompas, gunfortresses and battlefortresses... Even as little as 10 points would do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
I eouldn't mind seeing a price drop on stompas, gunfortresses and battlefortresses... Even as little as 10 points would do.

I totally agree and don't see too many of these being taken because of price.

I would also like to see some changes in the feral list, but I think they just won't through.

Might be nice too see some of the old vehicles with stats as well, I have so many but can only use them as battle wagons, which they aren't.

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've always wanted to see some more of the Klans/choices incorporated into the Ghazgkull list.

We currently see Goffs/Evil Suns/Snake Bites (boy mob), Bloodaxes, Stormboys - but at the very least some Deff Skulls (mob upgrade, 2 x big shootas, 5+ FF - balanced by no grot included like a orc boyz stand) or Mega Nobz (Nob with 4+RA, Macro CC 10cm move 50points).
There are models for these things, but no implementation in the rules - I'd give my left nut to have my boys mobs with a few of the above deff skulls helping to mitigate the poor assault range of the orks/ clipping assaults against.

While I'm at it - a Drop in points for the Stompas. They may have lots of firepower, but poor initiative doesn't make them a reliable shooting platform. 60-65 pints would look good.

Finally, Trukks for boys mobs - similar setup as Rhinos giving the orks a cheap transport option - the current 140points for battlewagons prices them out of use.

- Kendall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:32 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ork lists have an awful lot of options and you want to add more. I can see that, but you must also remember that the lists should have a theme.

If you would like to put together Deff Skulls themed list with units I will look at it for inclusion in experimental lists.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'd like to see the EpicUK oddboy upgrades to battleforts being made part of the list (for those unfamiliar, it adds D3 powerfields to a battlefort) IMO it would make battleforts more viable as you can stay mounted for the increased engage range with less fear that a shadowsword is going to pop the unit from afar, worked really well for mintroll at expo this year

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim:

How about price drops on the mentioned units then? It's been suggested by a few people already. Even small changes like 10p decreases would be great! EpicUK does this with approved lists to make some choices more viable, why can't we do the same in NetEA?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:13 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

No and Yes, if a real need is shown then I will consider them and put it forward for confirmation by the ERC. I still need to be convinced though.
Quote:
We currently see Goffs/Evil Suns/Snake Bites (boy mob), Bloodaxes, Stormboys - but at the very least some Deff Skulls (mob upgrade, 2 x big shootas, 5+ FF - balanced by no grot included like a orc boyz stand) or Mega Nobz (Nob with 4+RA, Macro CC 10cm move 50points).
There are models for these things, but no implementation in the rules - I'd give my left nut to have my boys mobs with a few of the above deff skulls helping to mitigate the poor assault range of the orks/ clipping assaults against.

While I'm at it - a Drop in points for the Stompas. They may have lots of firepower, but poor initiative doesn't make them a reliable shooting platform. 60-65 pints would look good.

Finally, Trukks for boys mobs - similar setup as Rhinos giving the orks a cheap transport option - the current 140points for battlewagons prices them out of use.

Ok, I can hear what you are saying, but am a bit at a loss as to why you are looking for these things as
Deff Skulls (mob upgrade, 2 x big shootas, 5+ FF - balanced by no grot included like a orc boyz stand) – use the Nobz upgrade (& you get leader).

Mega Nobz (Nob with 4+RA, Macro CC 10cm move 50points) – 4+RA is not going to happen with the mob rule/grots and balancing. If you want the Macro take Killa Kans & Dreadnoughts.

helping to mitigate the poor assault range of the orks/ clipping assaults against – Yes this is a big point of the list and when done correctly is the bane of an Ork player.

a Drop in points for the Stompas. They may have lots of firepower, but poor initiative doesn't make them a reliable shooting platform. 60-65 pints would look good – Much harder to balance when compared to Dreads and other units. As I stated I would still need to be convinced that they need a change. I think one of the issues here is that they are not taken in sufficient numbers so small formations don’t seem to make their points back.

Finally, Trukks for boys mobs - similar setup as Rhinos giving the orks a cheap transport option - the current 140points for battlewagons prices them out of use. – That is what the Speed Freak list is there for……..

However good to have some debate and interest shown in the lists. I would be interested in seeing the lists you use & face as well as battlefield conventions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The basic ork list are just fine as they are -however the other lists are changing, sometimes base lists (yeah, like Black Legion, and some point drops happened in the Codex Marine list also), and some of the suggestions are about that the ork lists (balanced to the other Approved lists in the old days) don't follow this trend. My personal suggestion is, that they are good as now, but I also see fewer ork lists at tournaments -not E-UK ones.

Ork kommandos should be available as a stand alone formation only in a Blood Axe list ->now we have 2 different one! There should be only one, and in a better shape than now.. :) Go for Blood Axe!