Login |  Register |  FAQ

Ferals

Post subject: Ferals
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:46 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

We can break out any detailed discussions that begin, but I wanted to start a thread to collect general opinions.

To kick start it, I'll pull some stuff from the "points progression" thread:

Yme-Loc:But trust me junkka trukk brigades at 150/250/350 are insane anyone who thinks they can beat me using a 3000pts army of 250+ of these things with some wyrd boyz thrown in, is welcome to try - the only reason its not become a huge problem is because it costs so much money to put the army together.

Tiny Tim:Ferals I feel that these are an army to draw with as it can be very difficult to win with if your opponent appreciates how slow these are.

Steam Gargants, if you are not facing IG then these are almost a no-brainer, but they do tend to either be left to defend the blitz.

There is a proposal to reduce the speed of Boarboyz and this will help to fix the army, but I agree with Yme-loc that an army of Boarboys and Junkamobz is just silly at the moment.

Junkas:  Is the problem just the sheer volume of units, or is it that the volume is aggravated by being in the highest point discount bracket (150/250/350)?  Or perhaps it is because the Junkatrukks are a bit too good?  Will a change to no-FF while loaded (to line up with Trukks in the Speed Freeks) make a difference?

Steam Gargants: Do people think that simply boosting their points to 225/400/575 would be sufficient?

Boarz:  Perhaps the problem with these is point cost as well.  They are listed at 25 points each in the Extras, yet the base formation of 5 starts at 100 points.  That's a substantial discount which only snowballs as the formations get larger.  By the time you buy a Uge mob, they are almost down to 15 points per model.  Should they be changed to the 125/225/325 point cost instead of 100/175/250?  How would stat changes affect that?  I think the most common thoughts are 20cm move, offset by 5+ armor.

Since that's all about downgrades and we're not sure the Ferals are overpowered, are there any "power up"s that people have considered?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:45 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

And following up on some things...  I did some comparisons and crunched some numbers.

I figure comparing the Ferals to Orks should be an accurate comparison.  Same special rules, many of the same formations.  It should work better than most cross-army comparison.

For this I'm assuming that a normal boyz stand is 17-18 points.  A grot stand is the other 7-8 points of the 25 points it costs for boy+ grot.

Warbuggy v empty Junka
Both are LVs with 5+ armor
Junka is 10cm slower.
Junka has exactly half the firepower for FF and ranged fire.
Junka has a transport capacity.

Square root rule (counting speed as a half factor compared to durability and firepower) compared to a 25 point Warbuggy would put the Junka at 13 points, not counting the transport capacity.  So, maybe 14-15 points on its own.   With the boyz added in at 17-18 points, it seems that it's solidly in the 30-33 point range.

Warbuggy v loaded Junka
We'll start assuming that the Boyz stay loaded all the time, except during assaults (after which they would load up with the consolidation move).
Both are LVs with 5+ armor, but it takes 2 BMs to suppress both Boyz and Junka.  There is also a chance the Boyz survive if the Junka is killed and if it's too much of a burden having the boyz slow the formation down, the Junkas can drive away and be proportionally no worse than the loss of a single Buggy would be for its formation.  Basically, it's a substantial increase in durability.
Junka is 10cm slower.
Ranged fire and FF have the same average.
Junka + boy is vastly superior in CC and can always countercharge into base contact (10cm countercharge +5cm dismount) if assaulted.
Finally, we know that there is substantial tactical flexibility from the junka/boy combo.  You can dismount to reduce vulnerability.  You can put the infantry in cover to park on an objective.  You can assault into terrain that's impassable for vehicles, etc..

Those kinds of factors are much harder to factor in because they don't compare directly like firepower and armor saves.  I'd put the overall durability of junka/boyz as a good 25% increase over a warbuggy.  The offense is marginally higher with the CC options, maybe +10%.  The tactical flexibility is the toughest to guage but I'd estimate it at something like +20%.

Those are swags, but putting the square root rule on that, with speed included, comes out to 30-31 points.  That's pretty close to the same numbers from the more direct buggy/junka comparison.

Based on that proportion of points, the Junka Brigade has a 15-20% effective points advantage.  The formation ought to be something like 5 junkas/boyz for a basic (instead of 6) or 175/300/425 points (instead of 150/250/350).  Also, the Nob/Junka combo ought to be ~50 points instead of just 35 (35 point Nob plus ~15 point Junka).

===

In the other part of the comparison I did, I'm a little surprised that the Boarz are a problem.  In comparing them to Warbikes (the closest unit), they really look like they ought to be slightly inferior, even with the 50cm charge on Infiltrate.  20 points per units looks about right.

I'm not sure about the changes.  I know I've advocated the 20cm charge in the past, mostly for flavor reasons, but now that I'm looking at it again I'm not sure that wouldn' t downgrade them substantially even with the boost to 5+ armor.

I know people have reported that they felt they were somewhat abusive.  I just can't figure out why.  I've not used them much personally (our Ferals tend to be based on infantry and squiggoths), so I'm not trying to dispute the reports of in-game results.  I'm just saying I don't understand the phenomenon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:19 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

More comparisons:

Comparing two Wildboyz to Boyz/Grotz, Wildboyz look like they should come in at about 20 points as extras, or 10 points each.  That would put them as just a touch expensive in the 150/250/350 range.

Mostly, the role I've seen them in the list is as the cheapest "base" unit to get other units that are sometimes considered too cheap, e.g. Wildboyz + Orkeosaurus for 300 points or Wildboyz plus 6 Squig Catapults for a Feral "Gunzmob" at 300 points (2 templates, Disrupt, +1BM).  This seems to be a phenomenon similar to the Stompa/Supastompa in the core Ork list - take the overpriced units to get the "slot" for the underpriced unit.

As I rarely see Wildboyz being fielded for their own sake, that reinforces my perception that they are just a bit too expensive based on a straight, number-crunch comparison.

If the other questionable units (Orkeosauruses and Squig Catapults) go up in price, should the Wildboyz mob come down to, say, 125/225/325?

Also, could they be changed in the Extras to simply 10 points each, instead of 25 for 2?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:02 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

(nealhunt @ Sep. 07 2007,22:46)
Junkas: ?Is the problem just the sheer volume of units, or is it that the volume is aggravated by being in the highest point discount bracket (150/250/350)? ?Or perhaps it is because the Junkatrukks are a bit too good? ?Will a change to no-FF while loaded (to line up with Trukks in the Speed Freeks) make a difference?

I think that you've summed up the Junkas perfectly.

If you buy a Uge mob for 350 pts - you get 18 junkas and 18 boys - 36 units in total. That's less then 10pts per unit. If you wanted you could have 8 formations for 2800 pts & 288 units plus some token boarboyz and one formation upgraded by an extra junka trukk and boy and that is one army I would not like to face.

Plus as I've stated elsewhere units being transported should not be allowed to FF even if the vehicle is open topped.

I would be tempted to go 175/300/- for points cost and give no benefit for Uge formations.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:04 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Steam Gargants: Do people think that simply boosting their points to 225/400/575 would be sufficient?

I would just hold fire on this change for now and see what effect the other changes have first.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:16 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Boarz: ?Perhaps the problem with these is point cost as well. ?They are listed at 25 points each in the Extras, yet the base formation of 5 starts at 100 points. ?That's a substantial discount which only snowballs as the formations get larger. ?By the time you buy a Uge mob, they are almost down to 15 points per model. ?Should they be changed to the 125/225/325 point cost instead of 100/175/250? ?How would stat changes affect that? ?I think the most common thoughts are 20cm move, offset by 5+ armor.

The first thing that I would like to see is the speed dropped to 20cm, this will give them comparable speed to Roughriders.

The box set comes with 6 stands of boarboyz can we not change the basic size of the formation to 6 and go with the 125/225/-.

Rule book Roughriders will still be better, proposed changes to RR will still leave them better (First Strike) but 25pts more expensive and you can't increase the size of the formation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:04 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

So, now that the AC change is released, let me see if I can summarize the current prevailing thought.

Apologies if I've jumped the gun, but I'm trying to get the army revision "change doc" done in a reasonable time window.  Ferals are one of the holdups.

======

Boarz:  Speed 20cm (-5cm).  5+ armor (+1).  Formation size is 6 (formerly 5).  125/225/325

I agree they are ~20 points with those stats and the 25cm Infiltrate did cause a lot of hard feelings.  My only question is whether the formation size needs to change.  I realize the blister has 6 Boarz, but is the formation size really a problem?  5 at 100/175/250 doesn't seem like it would be abusive, unless there is concern over a popcorn army.

Squig Catapults: 35 points

This seems to be a popular change.  The Disrupt is a nice improvement over Big Gunz even with lower FF, and the ability to purchase BP weapons individually allows min-max of barrages.

Orkeosaurus: 175 points

I know this isn't a favorite, Tim.  Problematic only in large groups, I don't think a modest point upgrade won't make much difference in army composition unless taking Orkeosaurses in volume.  Orkeosauruses combined with the Steam Gargant mob can allow a very WE-heavy force.

Junkas:  175/300/-. No FF while loaded on Junkas.

Is the no-Uge possibly an overreaction?  Would getting the point values more accurate be sufficient by itself without also eliminating the Uge mob?

Steam Gargants: 225/400/575

I know you're hesitant on this one, but I've felt this formation is abusive pretty much since the start.  The fact that it's in pretty much every feral army list is strong evidence that it's too much.  It's still a monster formation unless some multi-TK weapons manage to get them in their sights and even then it will pack a wollop even after losing a model.

Finally, these are almost all downgrades (though Boarz are probably more a lateral change).  Are there any up-ticks you would like to add?  The cheaper Wildboyz discussed above, perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:43 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Those changes look generally ok to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:55 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Is this where I now get to throw my teddies out of the pram if I don't get what I want? .....

I am prepared to go with all the above changes and include the price reduction for Wildboyz. However I predict that we will see the demise of the Orkeosaurus as the much better option will become to take Squiggoths.

As a note these changes would add 360pts to the army that I took to the WPS Club Challenge in 2006 that ended up drawing alot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:31 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

That's why I'm asking your opinion.  I have the sense Ferals are just slightly overpowered with a long side deployment but that goes away with a corner deployment.  I don't think they need to be nerfed by much, just that there are a few exploitable bits.  I can definitely be convinced that some of the above list isn't needed.

I could, for instance, understand an argument that ranged fire is lacking in the list.  Because the Squig Catapults are only available as Extras and takign them away makes a substantial difference in the availability of ranged fire, they should be left alone.

I also have the sense that the Boarz issue is more about perception than an actual balance problem.  Stylistically, I like the idea of slower/tougher Boarz, but that doesn't mean the change is really necessary.

Why do you think the Orkeosaurus at 175 is worse than Squiggoths at 150?  It's vastly tougher except versus multi-TK (WE v LV, DC6 v 3 units, WE suppression benefits, fairly easy critical effect) - definitely more than twice as tough.  It has 2/3 the firepower.  It's about the same in CC (maybe a touch worse) and twice as effective in FF.  It's 15cm move instead of 20cm.

Considering multi-TK is limited in most forces, my main concern is hordes of WEs.  A Feral tournament army currently, could easily have 3 Steam Gargants and 6 Orkeosauruses at 2700 points with several Wyrdboyz scattered around.  That's no non-WE targets on the board, nothing realistically vulnerable to any sort of assault, and nothing that breaks with less than 12BMs.  It may be low-end 7 activations but they are all very tough.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with all those changes posted by neal - apart from the steam gargants which I personally have always hoped would actually have their stats changed to match the model.

How about leave them at 200/350/500

and give them the following weapon loadout

Soopa Gun (2 Bp MW)
Heavy Gun
Big Close Combat Weapon
Weird Boy Tower

Thats still pretty good firepower for the points

Keeps you from taking 3 with a 10 Bp MW weapon load out and matches guns to the models - even if their second gun might look a little big for a heavy gun.

Just a thought - although the points increase proposed by neil works as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

My main areas of concern were Boarboys and Junka Trukks. These I think that we have now fixed.

Will comment more in the morning.

Must go got to get to my class of Junior Soldiers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:39 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ok, I've had a bit of time to think and these are my thoughts.

Catapults - I don't think that these justify an increase in points cost. However, I can see how they can be abused as cheap massed fire. So lets restrict their number to 0-3. This still allows for massed fire, but you have to up grade your warband to large or uge, thus imposing a points penalty but not weakening the army.

Orkeosaurus I have not found it profitable to take multiple Saurus in a big or uge formation, but others have and an increase of +25pts is not going to break this army so lets do it.

Wildboyz Leave these alone for now.

Steam Gargants Whilst 3 of these are seen as the no brainer for a Feral player they can be a points gift to Imperial Guard and Eldar. The complaint about the massive amount of fire they can put out should be tempered by the fact that the SG will either be doubling forward to look to engage later on or attempting to go on overwatch to prevent them being engaged. If they are given the chance to get onto overwatch then an attack has to be positioned to use the fact that they are war machines against them to block line of sight. These should be left alone for now.

Sorry got to go I have an appointment to get to.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can Feral AA get changed? MW AA is a little OTT I've found...

I don't know, it just seems odd that Ferals get the most potent AA in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:42 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Okay, to sum up, I'm looking at the changes as:

====

No FF from Junka
Boarz 20cm, 5+ armor

0-3 Catapults
175 point Orkeausaurus
175/300/na for the Junka Brigade, +50 points for Nob+Junka