Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 46  Next

Gargant Big Mob list development

Post subject: Re: Gargant Big Mob list development.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

no, reinforced boilers are still in! Yes, I don't think speed is a big issue really. Well, it is, but thats how it's supposed to be.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:26 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've got one more gargant to paint and my force will be ready to field. I should be able to get some games in against some Biel-tan in the next month heath permitting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great Atension! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So did some thinking tonight and want to share some ideas thats floating around in my head. None of theese are sure to be used, i just want to hear what people think about them.

1. Change the Wyrdboy tower upgrade to D3 MW 5+ AA shots but cut it's range down to 30cm. Feels more orky and brings the AA range in line with the normal flak guns.

2. Boost the ripper fist a little to D3+1 TK(D3) hits. Maye remove the shots also. Right now it's not very good at all. No change in points.

3. Remove the Snapper because it feels weird and out of place. Instead add a "Supa-Skorcha" with "Small Arms EA+3 IC" attacks with a 0-2 arming restriction.

4. Crawla upgrade. +10cm move, Gargant only, -1 or -2 DC for the model because of armour plates that need to be removed from it to fit the giant tracks. There needs to be a big drawback to this to not make it a auto include.

Most of theese ideas are not mine from the start (i think Kadeton gave birth to most of them) but this is how i envision them. Remember, theese are just ideas to play with, none of them are set to be implemented into the list.

Please give me your thoughts gents! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Is the krawla upgrade able to be taken in addition to the boilers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmmm... Good question. No, that would not be good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
1. Change the Wyrdboy tower upgrade to D3 MW 5+ AA shots but cut it's range down to 30cm. Feels more orky and brings the AA range in line with the normal flak guns.

Sounds very good to me. It makes the Tower less about projecting a huge bubble and more about defending the Gargant specifically, which makes sense (and 45-60cm anti-air annoys the heck out of me, personally). I like the potential extra shots (I'd rather 2x than D3x but Orks is Orks, I guess).

The old list also featured infantry-mounted Flakk Guns, which is something I'd really like to see (and in the main Ghaz list too, ho hum). Any chance?

mordoten wrote:
2. Boost the ripper fist a little to D3+1 TK(D3) hits. Maye remove the shots also. Right now it's not very good at all. No change in points.

I like the sound of that. Carve right through some poor Titan with some good rolls. Couldn't care less if it lost the attached gun.

mordoten wrote:
3. Remove the Snapper because it feels weird and out of place. Instead add a "Supa-Skorcha" with "Small Arms EA+3 IC" attacks with a 0-2 arming restriction.

:D

mordoten wrote:
4. Crawla upgrade. +10cm move, Gargant only, -1 or -2 DC for the model because of armour plates that need to be removed from it to fit the giant tracks. There needs to be a big drawback to this to not make it a auto include.

"Gargant only" as in "Can't be taken by Great Gargants" or "Can only be taken by Gargants and Great Gargants"? Silly Orks, using the same word for an individual thing and also a category of similar things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Guys :) I used the list in a 2k event at the weekend and in some practice games, so thought i'd stick down some musings about it and how it went.

In terms of the event, managed 2 wins and a draw, which i was pretty pleased by overall, especially when the draw was a gainst a nasty Chaos Slaanesh list with two Subjugator scout titans - however, the Gargants were helped somewhat by the reduction in board size down to 4x4 which of course helped mitigate the speed and range issues, along with having a less pronounced activation disparity compared to at 3k.

I went with a Great Gargant, armed with pretty much the stock weapons loadout with a minor adjustment - so 2 Twin Soopa Guns and a Lifta Droppa, along with reinforced boilers and the head of Gork, 2 supa stompas (with 3 soopagunz) both with reinforced boilers, and finally a unit of 6 stompas all armed with kombat hammers.

Overall i was pretty pleased with how the list got on, the big stompa mob probably being the biggest surprise. Granted it was the blitz guard, but often by turn 2 they were peeking over whatever terrain they were hiding behind and killing the odd small unit, and did a bang up job of protecting the blitz. The extra movement on the rest of the army was a big help, and of course being able to throw macro barrages into your opponents deployment zone on turn 1 is always nice, even if it doesn't achieve much. The Great Gargant was overall pretty underwhelming in terms of impact most games, although no-one really even bothered to have a go at it, so it was at least a very safe blitz. However, in CC and FF he just didn't do the business, primarily due to a distinct lack of TK and macro, meaning that while he was winning the combats he was going into, he wasn't often killing what he fought (except notably a Dominatrix after it failed most of it's armour saves), the worst case being a Reaver Titan that survived two engagements with the Great Gargant - granted he made a lot of armour saves, but that really shouldn't happen. In testing it got routinely smacked about by the Warlord titan as well, despite the warlord being cheaper and armed up for ranged combat! The Head of Gork was a huge boon of course, giving the Supa Stompas a chance to actually rally once broken - at 3k i'd definitely run a 'shepherd' ranged Gargant for the express purpose of rallying them i think.

So overall thoughts:
I like the Kustom upgrades, although to me the reinforced boilers are a no-brainer compared to the others, closely followed by the Head of Gork. The rest are ok, but for a list that's cripplingly slow, the movement buff is just too good to leave.

One of the big issues i see with the list is to a degree that of what tools you have at your disposal to start narrowing the activation gap before turn 3, as otherwise like AMTL you're effectively looking at the best result you're normally going to get being a draw unless people are crazy enough to come into assault range of the GG. for E-UK they tried to sort this out on the AMTL by up-gunning them, giving them a chance to actually wipe out small to medium sized formations if you go ranged heavy, along with some pretty reasonable firefight and close combat options, adding multiple macro or TK attacks respectively, allowing them to be a very solid assault force potentially as well. It's hard to do a direct comparative of course, as the Gargants are... just not as good at the end of the day for a number of reasons, despite being either the same price level or actually more expensive. The other problem the bigger gargants have is that other than durability, the Supa Stompas are overall much better - especially for the price. Unfortunately i think the original list had issues - the core one being that everything from a supa-stompa upwards all have 3 core weapon slots, so the differentiation is just not that pronounced compared to say a warhound and a warlord.

Anyway, fundamental issues aside, a few thoughts on changes:

Reinforced Boilers - overall these are great, i do see there's a desire for more speed though, and it would be nice to extend the threat range to that of say a warlock if you're prepared to take a risk. One thought on this is rather than have a lower DC faster war engine, how about the ability to 'push' the boiler to take it to 10cm extra movement? Then on say a 1-2 the boiler blows a hole and it doesn't work for the rest of the game, reducing the Gargant to it's base 15cm movement.

On weapons:
For CC the options really do need a shot in the arm, given Orks currently have the most naff CC options of any Titan in the game (note the horrifying Power fists available to Eldar and Imperials), which given they're supposed to be very CC orientated is pretty sad. It's bad enough that a Warlord has a better 'to hit' in CC comparatively, but that's just 'insult to injury' territory.
For Firefight again, it's mediocre to say the least. You can get a bunch more attacks, but no macro or TK? TK might be a bit much, but a macro firefight weapon (maybe something like a supa-shokk attack gun) would i think be reasonable, and maybe even one that ignores cover (like a supa skorcha).
For general shooting, overall it's not that bad if a bit underwhelming, with blast output being good, TK being pretty reasonable, but massed shooting options being lacklustre at best giving them big issues dealing with anything else with shields in anything but an assault. For something like a gatling kannon i'd suggest if you keep the range the same i'd whack up the shots to at least 8, maybe even 10. Again, comparatively a ranged warlord can throw out 24 shots a turn on better dice at 60cm range (admittedly this is the E-UK version mind you).

On the Gargants themselves:
Oddly the Great Gargant currently appears to be 25pts more expensive in this version compared to the standard one in the Ghazghul list if you take the same loadout, which seems a bit harsh overall.

The Gargant is ok, but as always falls into that rather unfortunate territory of being not as hardy as the Great Gargant and still having relatively the same firepower as the Supa Stompas.

Supa Stompas are unsurprisingly great. One thing i'm surprised at is that they don't have an option to switch Soopa Guns for Supa Zzap guns (especially given models were released with them on), but perhaps a balance issue on that?

Stompa mobs are solid, and fine as they are :)

Haven't tried a loota mob, but tbh given for me it's all about the big guys they don't interest me as much.

Air is fine, and tbh when you have such activation issues on the ground they seem quite a difficult one to justify squeezing in to a list.

I'll give them a few goes at 3k when i get the chance to see how they get on :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great feedback Richard, will comment more on it later!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
Reinforced Boilers - overall these are great, i do see there's a desire for more speed though, and it would be nice to extend the threat range to that of say a warlock if you're prepared to take a risk. One thought on this is rather than have a lower DC faster war engine, how about the ability to 'push' the boiler to take it to 10cm extra movement? Then on say a 1-2 the boiler blows a hole and it doesn't work for the rest of the game, reducing the Gargant to it's base 15cm movement.

Yes, thats an interesting idea! I would like to stay clear of havig two upgrade option that allow almost the same thing so this would be a neat idea. Very orky too...

RichardL wrote:
For CC the options really do need a shot in the arm, given Orks currently have the most naff CC options of any Titan in the game (note the horrifying Power fists available to Eldar and Imperials), which given they're supposed to be very CC orientated is pretty sad. It's bad enough that a Warlord has a better 'to hit' in CC comparatively, but that's just 'insult to injury' territory.

Yes, this is something more people have commented on. To be honest i didn't really look at the CC-options that hard. But comparing them to other Titans CC options they need some serious upp-gunning.

RichardL wrote:
For Firefight again, it's mediocre to say the least. You can get a bunch more attacks, but no macro or TK? TK might be a bit much, but a macro firefight weapon (maybe something like a supa-shokk attack gun) would i think be reasonable, and maybe even one that ignores cover (like a supa skorcha).

Not sure i want to give them TK FF abilities but the supa skorcha thingie (Small Arms +3EA IC) might come in and replace the Snappa which is just a weird weapon

A Supa shokk attack gun could be funny and quite fluffy. Maybe Small Arms +D3 EA MW could be a interesting thing..

RichardL wrote:
For general shooting, overall it's not that bad if a bit underwhelming, with blast output being good, TK being pretty reasonable, but massed shooting options being lacklustre at best giving them big issues dealing with anything else with shields in anything but an assault. For something like a gatling kannon i'd suggest if you keep the range the same i'd whack up the shots to at least 8, maybe even 10. Again, comparatively a ranged warlord can throw out 24 shots a turn on better dice at 60cm range (admittedly this is the E-UK version mind you).

Hmmm... Yes, this is where i see only some minor improvements being valid. 8 shots on the Gattling feels a bit much but maybe it's warranted. 10 is a little too much. I do think it's proper that imperial Titans would be way better equipped for ranged combat. Thats why assault weapons (both in CC and FF) will get the most attention.

RichardL wrote:
Oddly the Great Gargant currently appears to be 25pts more expensive in this version compared to the standard one in the Ghazghul list if you take the same loadout, which seems a bit harsh overall.

It's going down 25p in the next update.

RichardL wrote:
The Gargant is ok, but as always falls into that rather unfortunate territory of being not as hardy as the Great Gargant and still having relatively the same firepower as the Supa Stompas.

Well, not sure if theres much to be done here about that.

RichardL wrote:
Supa Stompas are unsurprisingly great. One thing i'm surprised at is that they don't have an option to switch Soopa Guns for Supa Zzap guns (especially given models were released with them on), but perhaps a balance issue on that?

Oh, that never occured to me since they didn't have that option in any ork or gargant list before.

RichardL wrote:
Stompa mobs are solid, and fine as they are :)

Agreed!

RichardL wrote:
Haven't tried a loota mob, but tbh given for me it's all about the big guys they don't interest me as much.

No, i'll admit I haven't thought much about them for the same reasons.

RichardL wrote:
Air is fine, and tbh when you have such activation issues on the ground they seem quite a difficult one to justify squeezing in to a list.

Yes, i've tried airheavy list several times and they haven't won me any game so far...

Thanks again for some really great ideas and excellent feedback! 'm looking forward to some more when you've tried them out at 3K.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay guys! Just uploaded the 3.2.1 version in the OP!

Implemented some of the ideas we've been talking about. Would love to hear your views on them!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:10 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

added to armyforge, will go live in one full Adam77 server pushing cycle ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks alot mate!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Looking good! That ripper fist seems quite potent, though with limited range being an assault weapon. Was hoping to see a buff for some short range firepower, got excited when you mentioned the Gat Kannons going up in shots to 8 or maybe 10! Though your just asking for Gat cannon spam then. Its still markedly worse than the AMTL Gatling Blaster 6x AP4/AT5 @45cm vs 6x AP4/AT4 @60cm for the same price. That and/or a double shot short range Zapgun.

I was thinking you'd go 10x AP5/AT5 @45cm or 8x AP4/AT5 @45cm for a more comparative weapon and even then cause you have to remember you are generally double moving so your still at best hitting on a 6 or likely 7 considering cover even at 10 shots you'd only statistically hit 1 1/2 at best per Gat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A posdible up-gunning of some ranged weapons is something i'm still deBating with myself. The assault weapons felt more important to fix since i view Gargants as assaulty-titans first and foremost.

But if it's warranted some revision of ranged weaponry will ve done later.

Now please guys, could you give me atleast 3 battle reports with this new list? I'll do 1 or 2 in the next month! :-)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 46  Next