Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tweaking the Ork list?

Post subject: Tweaking the Ork list?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Ork list is regarded as very balanced but there are a few notable underpowered and underused units that would be better off given a little boost. Could we adopt some or all of the below? These are all suggestions taken from the Epic-UK ork list and well tested there.

Add a third Oddboy character option which gives D3+1 power fields to a Battlefortress or Gunfortress only (can't be used on Gunwagonz or Big Gunz). This makes Fortress mobs more viable, though still not that great a choice.

Change the Stormboy formation to allow Kommandos or Stormboyz. Kommandos are currently pretty pointless in the core ork list, only available as upgrades to the core formation. This would allow Kommandos to actually act in the way they are meant to. ility Allowed a formation of

Improve the ork spacecraft, which are a terrible choice for their cost due to only activating on a 3+. Our list prices them at 150 for the Kill Kroozer and 200 for the Battle Kroozer while Epic-UK have them at 100 for the Kill Kroozer and 150 for the Battle Kroozer

Whoever the Ork army champion is (I'm not sure who it is) could just make the call to add/change these for the list in the upcomiong tournament pack or if need be a trial pdf could be made with changes for people to try out over the next year or so.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tweaking the Ork list?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:48 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I've kept the NetEA & EUK lists separate to allow the UK list to be used to test ideas. I am also a firm believer in having at least one list as close to the original as possible so that we keep away from Codex creep.

The changes you mention have been around for a while, and could be added. Although there has not been a great clamouring for them.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I think the "Kommandos or Stormboyz" option is a great idea. I've been clamouring for that one since EA was first published :)

The other two might help those other units take the table more often, so I doubt I'd be opposed to them either. 100 points seems very cheap for a spaceship mind you... even if it is 3+ activation. Just looking at the EUK Ork tournament lists it seems no one has ever taken one to a tournament which says something though - how long has it been at 100 points?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indeed. A couple of years going by the dates on the Epic-UK site. I'd still rather see it changed and don't see a few small tweaks would unbalance the list. Perhaps we could see what others think/comment and if enough people get behind them then get some changed?

Incidentally what prompted posting was a new player popping up in another thread recently asking for tactics to use their fortress mobs and someone suggested they should be used with a powerfield oddboy upgrade to make them viable. Who knows if the new player's groups uses or knows about Epic-UK lists (he was in Canada) but this is an example of a downside of keeping the list unchanged.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

how would a mixed formation of kommandos and stormboyz work?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just like any other formation of multiple sorts of infantry?

People would likely take 6 of either type rather them mixing them. Including them as an alternative in the Stormboy formation just saves adding a formation to the list.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ah, right gotcha.

yup, the option would make perfect sense and would give the kommando models something to do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As a new player building an Ork force, I was just about to ask whether anyone had come up with a good way to use Kommandos when I saw this post. Currently I can't see any good reason to use Kommandos alongside a standard warband formation, as the situation makes their abilities pretty under-utilized.

I think it would be perfectly ok to go with the idea of changing the formation of Stormboyx to Stormboys and/or Kommandos, because it's pretty much the easiest possible way to change how they interact with the army list as a whole.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the EpicUK idea of adding a oddboy with shields to fortress mobs are excellent!!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

AegisGrimm wrote:
As a new player building an Ork force, I was just about to ask whether anyone had come up with a good way to use Kommandos when I saw this post. Currently I can't see any good reason to use Kommandos alongside a standard warband formation, as the situation makes their abilities pretty under-utilized.

I think it would be perfectly ok to go with the idea of changing the formation of Stormboyx to Stormboys and/or Kommandos, because it's pretty much the easiest possible way to change how they interact with the army list as a whole.

well, you can put them in a landa for area shenanigins, or use a lot of them in a normal warband to allow deploy forward with vehicles. (is that still allowed)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yep still ok

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion