Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Gargant Bigmob 3.02

Post subject: Re: Gargant Bigmob 3.02
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:30 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm taking a break from painting Evil Sunz by dusting off my Goffs. My Goff army was always going to be walker themed with Gargants, Stompas and Dreads (as contrast to my Evil Sunz). When I saw that not only OGBM but a new list, Stompy Onslaught, were going to be in the supplement, I was quite excited. But the detail of both lists have left me a bit meh.

I have come to terms (barely) with the fact that Stompy Onslaught list does nt have Stompas in it. The only reason I can live with that is the idea that I can use my old Stompa models counts as Mega-Dreads, which fits the old model better in number of weapons and allows me to field more as cheaper.

But I can't understand why OGBM does nt include EITHER Stompas or Mega-Dreads. Especially when it includes Supa-Stompas. I have heard many times that in Ghazgull Thraka list that Stompas were only a Supa-Stompa delivery system. Yet here they are even cheaper as you don't even need to take the basic Stompas to field massed Supa-Stompas.

Apologies if this has been discussed to death on previous threads but I am a bit grumpy about this.

James

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Yes. That the OGBM list, THE list of all kind of Ork walkers, doesn't have Stompas is a bit silly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:06 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

+1 for bring back the Stompas! :)
It's a model we all have and it really does belong in the OGBM list.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

seems odd having superstompas without having stompas for context

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, the context is that as a Mad Mek's Gargant Bigmob, it's concentrating on two core themes:

1 - War Engines
2 - "Mad Mek" upgrades to units & gargants

Stompas are neither of those.
Moreover, allowing RA AV formations to garrison in a Gargant Bigmob risks overpowering the list.

So, I feel they don't fit the theme, and they risk overpowering a list that was certainly extremely overpowered in its 2.x incarnations (And we've yet to see whether the 3.x changes have reigned that in).

If people would like to test the list with Stompas, then feel free, but I worry that the theme will be diluted, and balance will remain overpowered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:06 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

2 reasons for wanting the Stompas- play balance and background theme:

1) Play balance. Being able to field a list with just war engines and aircraft is pretty strong in itself. Being able to field a list with just war engines and aircraft AND good number of activations seems wrong.

I normally aim for 9 activations in 3K. We have already seen that you can field a list under OGBM v3.02 with 8 activations being 2 Gargants, 4 Supa Stompas, 2 Fighta Bombas. Under Ghazgull Thraka list stompas were regarded primarily as Supa Stompa delivery system. Yet under OGBM you don't even need to take the Stompas to be able to field the Supa Stompas, which means that the Supa Stompas have become effectively cheaper and can be fielded in en masse.

Looking at the other comparable army list, the AMTL army champion is concenred at the avilability of single Warhound Titans and is looking to restrict them by only allowing Warhound Packs. Why not do something similar with Supa Stompas?

We should nt have a list where a unit (with the natural exception of Gargrants in OGBM list) becomes an auto include. At the very least we need to give some alternative options to allow for some varierty in list builds.

2) Background theme. If ever a list seemed tailor made for massed Gargants and Stompas it was the OGBM. Initially you said that you were removing the Stompas from OGBM because you "plan to have one list that concentrates on the walkers in the Kan to Supa Stompa range ("Gobgutz Badfang's Stompy Onslaught")"

Yet now Stompas are in NEITHER list!!

As you can gather from previous replies- we want out Stompas.

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
If no Stompas then please remove the Killakans and Dreadnoughts too. It's silly that the Orks field those small walkers and the really big ones without the in-between sized ones.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:53 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

BlackLegion wrote:
If no Stompas then please remove the Killakans and Dreadnoughts too. It's silly that the Orks field those small walkers and the really big ones without the in-between sized ones.

I would prefer those stayed in- I like the image of whole army being walkers with some infantry.

If we need to differentiate the 2 lists, then OGBM has Gargants as core choices and Stompy Onslaught has Stompas/Mega-Dreads as core choices, with rest being support choices.

(If necessary to reinforce the themes, go back to two support choices per core, to limit the number of activations and help keep list balanced).

Thanks

James

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wargame_insomniac wrote:

As you can gather from previous replies- we want out Stompas.

QFT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wargame_insomniac wrote:
BlackLegion wrote:

I would prefer those stayed in- I like the image of whole army being walkers with some infantry.

It's my opinion that this will result in an overpowered list.

However, feel free to test them. If they prove not overpowered I'll put them back in.

Quote:
If we need to differentiate the 2 lists, then OGBM has Gargants as core choices and Stompy Onslaught has Stompas/Mega-Dreads as core choices, with rest being support choices.

Too restrictive for Orks, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wargame_insomniac wrote:
2 reasons for wanting the Stompas- play balance and background theme:

1) Play balance. Being able to field a list with just war engines and aircraft is pretty strong in itself. Being able to field a list with just war engines and aircraft AND good number of activations seems wrong.

Being able to garrison 4+RA AV's with good shooting and excellent CC on the half way line to support those WE's likely makes the list even more powerful. Feel free to playtest, though.

Quote:
I normally aim for 9 activations in 3K. We have already seen that you can field a list under OGBM v3.02 with 8 activations being 2 Gargants, 4 Supa Stompas, 2 Fighta Bombas. Under Ghazgull Thraka list stompas were regarded primarily as Supa Stompa delivery system. Yet under OGBM you don't even need to take the Stompas to be able to field the Supa Stompas, which means that the Supa Stompas have become effectively cheaper and can be fielded in en masse.

You'll note that Supa Stompas are now much more expensive.

If Stompas were available as Upgrades in this list, it would cost 550pts to field the same formation composition as the 475pts Supa Stompa formation in the Ghazgul's Horde list.

Quote:
Looking at the other comparable army list, the AMTL army champion is concenred at the avilability of single Warhound Titans and is looking to restrict them by only allowing Warhound Packs. Why not do something similar with Supa Stompas?

Supa Stompas don't have 30cm speed like Warhounds. Stripped of their ablative Stompa "wounds" they should prove easier to break and kill, too.

Quote:
2) Background theme. If ever a list seemed tailor made for massed Gargants and Stompas it was the OGBM. Initially you said that you were removing the Stompas from OGBM because you "plan to have one list that concentrates on the walkers in the Kan to Supa Stompa range ("Gobgutz Badfang's Stompy Onslaught")"

Mega Dreadnoughts are in the Gobgutz's Stompy Onslaught list, and they fill near-on exactly the same role as Ghazgul's Stompas (Only they're slightly worse, and slightly cheaper so that having lots of them in a list should work).

Quote:
As you can gather from previous replies- we want our Stompas.

Test them, then.

No tests, no Stompas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Formation rules for a Stompa Mob for those who want to playtest them:

Stompa Mob
3 Stompas - 225
6 Stompas - 400
9 Stompas - 575

Upgrades:
Killa Kans +25pts each
Dreadnoughts, Flakwagons, Deth Koptas +35pts each
Stompas +75pts each
0-1 Big Mek +50pts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'd happily just take Stompas as an upgrade to a Spa Stompa.
That would remove the Garrisoning problem which seems to be the main fear.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Feel free to test them at 75pts as upgrades to Supa Stompas and Gargant mobs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:50 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Just out of interest- how much playtesting has been done already with Supa Stompas as they are?

Has anyone playtested playing with/against the 2 Gargants / 4 Supa Stompas / 2 lots of Fighta Bombas?

Thanks

James

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next