Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Iron Warriors V3.1 (final version)

Post subject: Re: Iron Warriors V3.0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Here, I'll show you what Volrath usually takes and maybe you can identify what's powerful about it. He almost always takes a list like this, and does very well with it -

That's a good list, but by Iron Warriors standards I'd say it's towards the weaker end of the spectrum because it lacks the key piece that makes this army distinct from its chaos peers.

The Ordinatus Medrendard.

I have been genuinely surprised how many IW battle reports feature armies that lack this amazing unit. It's the sort of thing that shapes the game, it forces the opponents to drastically change their deployment and modify their movement and model placement or suffer the consequences. It combines beautifully with teleporting terminators/obliterators or drop pods by making the enemy spread out when under all other circumstances they'd want to castle up behind scout screens.

It provides a powerful hide-able protectable BTS that projects firepower down the battle field, and it's the main thing that makes IW different from the other Chaos marine variants. Here's a power comparison thread from a while back viewtopic.php?f=82&t=26835

I can't imagine playing IW without one, and am amazed to see how many people skip the unit.

Tell Volrath to stop playing like some generic Chaos faction and go get himself a Big Gun. :D

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes it is crazy good. No idea why it isn't standard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:46 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

As it's very vulnerable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Less than a regular arty formation. Behind a terrain feature, with scouts to stop the teleports, void shields to stop tk attacks like deathstrikes, aa defences - what is the big weakness?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

A regular artillery formation costs a lot less, if you take the Ordinatus you are committing to a 625 pt non fearless blitz guard BTS and then to committing another few hundred points or a support lost to protect it.

- you can basically predict that it will be on the blitz for deployment and spaceship planning
- you can either properly protect it with defilers/obliterators so then you'll have a 1/3 of your points as a blitz guard
- or with Chosen which are easily cleared and use up a 0-1 slot
- not fearless and slow speed mean that if it loses an assault it is auto killed
- any combination of artillery/spaceship+terminators/air assault and you're in trouble.
From my experience its good but taking it is a big risk and affects the rest of the list a lot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tehre will be two players with this list in the upcoming Wintermanöver on Saturday, I will try to convince them to write up some reports!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I took an IW list (my EC models and Onyx's list, aka the "Iron Children") against Dave's marines on wednesday. Batrep up here (thanks to Dave for pics and write-up):

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=28836

The Iron Children lost 2-1. That '1' was a very satisfying slaughter of Dave's SC tactical with my termies after they had run away the previous turn. :P Another highlight during an otherwise ugly combat was my Iron Children lord critting Dave's T-hawk as it took part in an air assault on his already-broken company. I didn't make any saves so Dave didn't get to roll for combat resolution - ha! That showed you, Dave! ;D

I took the ordinatus since I had heard during Steve's visit to snowy CT that it is a "must have" . Against horde armies, perhaps. It was underwhelming against SM because not many units end up under those three templates. In two of the three barrages, one template was completely wasted. As Dave notes in the batrep, it killed one more unit than the killer death-swamp dangerous terrain.

I also felt it limited my options tactically; I used a couple of activations (and a ton of points) guarding the thing. I had the nagging feeling throughout the game I was making a poor decision with that, but it was my BTS (as I imagine it is most of the time), so I couldn't leave it to its own devices against such an air-heavy list. I'm curious how a couple of FM of basilisks, coupled with telporters, would do. The barrage encourages spreading out, while the termies encourage huddling for mutual protection. That's something you don't see in other CSM lists, I think.

The vindicator FM is nice to have as a cheap core FM to unlock cool support goodies, but it can be a bit hard to use. you have to get up close to use it, and it immediately becomes vulnerable to counter-fire. Running through the options in my head during the game, it was hard to see how it wouldn't end up a one-shot weapon.

After one game and a bunch of time on Armyforge building lists, I found the list quite fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the list is very fine as it is. i took the following to the tournament:

Graf Spee, 2995 POINTS
Iron Warriors (NetEA v3.0 *UNDER DEVELOPMENT*)
==================================================

IRON WARRIORS COMPANY [425]
6 Chaos Space Marines and 2 Havocs, Obliterator, Warsmith (Supreme Commander)

IRON WARRIORS COMPANY [375]
6 Chaos Space Marines and 2 Havocs, Iron Warriors Lord, Obliterator

ARMOURED ASSAULT COMPANY [250]
6 Chaos Vindicators

IRON WARRIOR TERMINATORS [470]
Iron Warriors Lord, 6 Iron Warrior Terminator, Obliterator

CHOSEN [125]
4 Chaos Space Marine Scouts

ARMOURED COMPANY [250]
4 Chaos Predator, Stalker

SUPER HEAVY COMPANY - DECIMATOR [225]
Decimator

SUPER HEAVY COMPANY - DECIMATOR [225]
Decimator

RAVAGER TITAN [650]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i used both iw companies as forward garrsions on overwatch and the predators and stalker to guard my blitz screened by the choosen detachment. first action was to put the preds on overwatch making the whole blitz objective pretty landa save (since i fear those buggers quite much). advancing my titan, superheavies and vindicators under the garrison screen proved pretty effective. the ravager is extremely good in shooting and ff. my iw terminators were pretty useless in all games, since i always lost initiative the turn i was teleporting them. very frustrating since i put quite some hope in them. the iw companies with obliterators put the fear into everyone. for all the right reasons. very good formations but expensive with a fearless unit. the decimators are awesome. the 45cm 3bp ic, mw template is a killer. i massacred orcs with it. my aa capabilities were modest but sufficient in order to forego own air units. worked out well.

this setup was a bit static and slow moving but dealt damage. so i started to shine from turn 2 on. unfortunatedly the first game vs. cadia shock troops was cancelled after turn 2 so i ended with a draw, whereas it would have have been at least a 3:0 after turn 3 for me. second game vs my fellow iw player ended in a classic stalemate as well with a slight advantage on his side but my ravager directly in front of his ordinatus. last game vs orks was 2:1 for me just because the doomburner on my ravager missed that unshielded dc1 superstompa bts for two turns.. sucked. so 3 draws but fun to play. my iw buddy finished 2nd in the tournament fielding the ordinatus and aircraft and getting lucky playing vs. beginner deathcorps with massive infantry and beginner cult of speed. i ended 6th out of 11 players.

i really enjoy this list. it is fluffy and still pretty balanced as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

oh and a picture of my ordinatus just for fun ;)

Attachments:
P1030749.JPG
P1030749.JPG [ 143.5 KiB | Viewed 7196 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nice ordinatus! really cool!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave and I did another playtest on Tuesday:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=28990

IW lost, 2-0 in turn 3.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:06 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks for the playtests and comments guys.
Keep em coming!

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know it's mostly just from having read Storm of Iron, but I'm kinda sad there's no Siege Assault company consisting of a ton of expendable meat shields. Something like Krieg infantry, which could either be used as non-scout ablative screens or as expendable meat that could wear down the opponent in engagements.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds like a good thing for a fan-list perhaps? I'm actually pulling double duty with my Iron Warriors by extending them as a Vraks traitor list implementation having low tech meatshields and some hard as nails marine masters. Perhaps that's to your liking?

Anyways, digression ended.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next