Login |  Register |  FAQ

Old school chaos

Post subject: Old school chaos
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi. Back in the hey day of second ed when playing chaos I really enjoyed two things. The Primarch models and the chaos cards. I'm newly back to epic scale and wanted to check in on my old chaos bros.

Has there been any movement or desire to bring back the primarchs under their respective army lists?

I know that the randomness of chaos cards is really out of wack with where the game is currently. That being said has there been a push to update or rework the chaos mechanic to make playing chaos more chaotic? I know that EpicGold has all the cards but I was hoping that there was something similar over here that would be a little more fleshed out then the kitchen table games that I played way back when.

thank you for your time.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Old school chaos
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Chaos Cards aren't a thing any more and there are no rules for Daemon Primarchs. The Greater Demons in Epic are very powerful though and most people use chaos primarch models as greater demons in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I get it. Is there a repository of unofficial or casual rules that such rules may exist in even in a draft/non balanced state?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not that I'm aware of. You could also use a Daemon Primarch model as a good blitz objective marker (the one you have on your table edge) in the game, assuming it to be directing the battle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alhazred, watch the EA 30k Horus Heresy rules. They've already have the rule extensions for Primarchs in their original form in the EA engine. We're getting close to FW getting to ascended traitor primarchs so I suspect that they're be showing up in short order there as well. That will probably give you a good starting point for your own 40k era interpretations of them.

The other approach is to take a known LOW unit from 40k that has an epic representation, such as a Knight Questor pattern for example, and compare/contrast the stats against the 40k stats for the primarch and build something close to the relative equivalent powers. The problem with that, IMHO, is that we only have 3 Primarchs in 40k currently, one of which is loyalist so it kinda leaves you up guessing for anyone else (such as Angron for instance).

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
The other approach is to take a known LOW unit from 40k that has an epic representation, such as a Knight Questor pattern for example, and compare/contrast the stats against the 40k stats for the primarch and build something close to the relative equivalent powers.

Awesome idea. Since I am still getting back into the rules this will help me understand the points to power conversion 'stuff'. Thank you.