Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

World Eaters 3.7 - List Reviewed and Released

Post subject: Re: World Eaters 3.6.2 - List Reviewed and Released
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

List has been updated to 3.6.2 (front page) to take into account the Bloodthirsty and Aggressive shared traits in line with what was worked out with the Blood Angels AC

Original .doc is being sent to Chroma now.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interview with Aaron Dembski-Bowden of the Black Library hinting of a World Eaters Horus Heresy Novel in the future. 6.30 minutes in: http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com ... -me-alone/

Definately something to hang out for - finally!!

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:13 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Couple of thoughts (not play-tested, just wondering).

Blood Slaughterers: I can't see these working as a unit upgrade only and i do not think that using them only as an upgrade matches the fluff.

Currently slaughts slow down any formation they are added to, not good for an assault army (they get infiltrator, but so do the units they upgrade). From the IA7 description they also sound like numerous machines, originating in the WE legion operating in packs of their own. For example Angron's use of 'unstoppable waves' (p154) of slaughts is not represented. The red corsairs' Onslaught formation of 5 for 225 seems fitting fluff wise and looks to be a more viable option to take game wise.

Dreadnoughts: Why plasma? WE don't seem to have a particular plasma affinity and plasma weapons do not appear elsewhere in the list. Would an assault cannon be more fluffy and/or what about having 2 types of dread, one of which is CC dedicated? currently the dread also introduces a single slow-fire weapon into the list for no particularly amazing benefit aside from being 4/4/ not 5/5.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I do not disagree with any of the observations on the Blood Slaughterers or the Dreadnoughts.

Here are the reasons for why they appear as they currently do:

Blood Slaughterers: I was being cautious on providing yet another formation in a list that was quite full. I believe your observations are correct. I will leave it as it stands for 2011 however just to keep the list stable and see if they are as unusable as they appear. At about this time next year I will make a decision on these (and possibly other areas of the list?) to bring it into the new year yet again. In the meantime, I will look closely at the Red Corsairs to see how they fair in that list.

Dreadnoughts: I was merely looking at the old Chaos Dread miniature from years ago which had the power claw and Plasma Weapon. The affinity to plasma may not be there, however it was available. You suggestion is legitimate and like the above, will be reviewed again at this time next year. Just interested to see if Dreadnoughts are even a viable choice after a years worth of freeze.

Pretty much you have picked out just two things that are on my watch list (things that I am not altogether happy about), that I am reviewing over the coming year. Just looking to have a little stability for the moment before making the next set of changes.

Thanks for looking Apoc and spending the time to give the feedback ;)

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:25 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Are there still plans to create variants of the core WE list?

Seem to remember there was an 'apocalypse' appendix to an old list version with new-style tower of skulls and doomblasters in. A first war of Armageddon style list could be interesting as well, Angron with multiple deamon prices and greater deamons :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Are there still plans to create variants of the core WE list?
Seem to remember there was an 'apocalypse' appendix to an old list version with new-style tower of skulls and doomblasters in. A first war of Armageddon style list could be interesting as well, Angron with multiple deamon prices and greater deamons :D

I did have the Apocalypse list in version 1.3. The Khornate Daemon Engines were War Engines

I just have to be careful about not diluting or confusing people with a different list.

I may however pick the project up in a few months again to give it a trial - however not too sure how competitive it will be with the points slump - effectively paying for the DC while the effect of the engine - fewer engines due to cost however - is the same. Effectively one would have to increase the firepower. That is not an impossible task ;)

That was October 2009! It is amazing how much you learn from reviewing that and other lists over that time.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had a game tonight: World Eaters vs Iyanden Craftworld

Below is the list I took.

Dev Cruiser
- Berserkers + Dreadclaws
- Chosen + Dreadclaws
Terminators + Daemon Prince
Terminators
Defilers x5
Defilers x4
Khorne Support Engines (Cannons of Khorne)
Hellblades

It was one of many that I have made up trying to find a competitive angle and that is quite hard with the low activations. The one above is a higher activation list believe it or not. It is very much a turn 2 or 3 drop force and relies on a bit of luck and will most likley see many turn 4 games which then may result in point counts to decide a winner.

The army won against the Iyanden, however I place that more down to a lack of successful activations on Morgan's part than any performance of the army. By the end of Turn 2, both Defiler formations and the Cannons were wiped off the table through assaults.

For tournament play, I think there should be better options than the above for the points available. If I were to redo the above list, I would drop the Cannons of Khorne and 1 Defiler unit (taking it down to 4 defilers) and buy an extra Terminator formation. Three terminator formations would be more effective and strategic.

I have about 3 other variants made up that I will start testing over the next week(s). I already have in mind that activations need to be easier to attain so that will be on the 'whiteboard' for a review at the end of the year.

With a tournament coming up soon, I just need to settle on a list so I know what I need to paint ::)

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:26 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

frogbear wrote:
I already have in mind that activations need to be easier to attain so that will be on the 'whiteboard' for a review at the end of the year.

Is the 4/4 legionary/berzekrer structure likely to stay (don't have a problem with it, just checking)? just asking before i put scalpel to plastic on 12 stands of legionaries ;)

Last edited by Apocolocyntosis on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

frogbear wrote:
The army won against the Iyanden, however I place that more down to a lack of successful activations on Morgan's part than any performance of the army.

Well, that and the Hellblades downing a fully loaded Vampire. If it wasn't for the fact that I won Initiative on the second turn and was able to deploy the remaining two Vampires before the Hellblades could be put on CAP, the game would have gone from slim to none.

Good game all round, because even though I fail activations, armour saves, and assault resolutions, I just cannot fail Dangerous Terrain tests*, Walker or not. And as long as I make them, what else do I need?

* Unless I'm playing Knightworld, and that's when a lot of Knights take dirtnaps, usually at the most inconvenient times.

Morgan Vening
- I still f'n hate three aircraft formations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
frogbear wrote:
I already have in mind that activations need to be easier to attain so that will be on the 'whiteboard' for a review at the end of the year.

Is the 4/4 legionary/berzekrer structure likely to stay (don't have a problem with it, just checking)? just asking before i just scalpel to plastic on 12 stands of legionaries ;)

I have no reason for that part to change at all. It is simply my dislike of large formations with Fearless that will ensure that. Also it would do nothing to lower the cost so there is no need for a change there.

Personally I have my berserkers based at 5 to a base and Legionaries 4 to a base. In games it has still been a little difficult to tell so I may start to place a mark at the back of each of the bases as follows:

Red - Berserkers
White - Skull Lords
Gold - Chosen

It just may help make counting up attack rolls a little easier ;)

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another game today vs Ork Speed Freaks

I took the following variation of the initial list:

Dev Cruiser
- Chosen + Keeper of Skulls + Dreadclaws
Terminators
World Eaters Banelord
Hellblades

7 activations is the obvious weakness of the list, however the drop is so fundamental that it almost does not matter. As long as you can get the drops positioned correctly, the force then gives the opponent something to think about.

Come closer dammit!

Overwatch was a factor that hurt me in this game, however the real killer was the Orks winning the initiative for turns 2, 3 and 4! Whilst I was able to provide a competitive climax to an otherwise uneventful game, the orks winning turn 3 and 4 allowed them to piecemeal the force. As this was the case, it was not really a fair example of what the force could have accomplished as it tried to gain Blitz and Take and Hold.

In the end, the Orks won on the final activation (which they luckily made) to win 2-0 (Defend the Flag + Take and Hold). The Banelord pretty much prevented BTS and Blitz, and there was a good chance of me rallying broken formations to prevent They Shall not Pass. If the game went back onto countbacks, the Orks would have won on the points quite easily.

The Banelord taking on all comers

I will keep persisting with these variations for a few more games as I feel that if the list is going to be competitive, it will be via drop force tactics.

:)

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have another game tonight to test another variation on the drop list that I have been playing.

I intend to test the following:

Dev Cruiser
- Chosen + Dreadclaws
Terminators + extra terminator
2x Brass Scorpion
Lord of Battles
Hellblades

Yes, I am low on activations (8) and that is something I am just going to have to manage. It will be interesting to see how the LoB and the Scorpions stand up in a 'blind' battle. No doubt the extra Terminator will make quite a difference.

I will probably make this the last variation test for this type of army as drop forces are only so much fun to play. I could also test the variation that makes use of terminator formations to fill up the War Engine costs, however I am not sure that is necessary or warranted. I think I have enough info from these games to determine what changes (if any) are required to assist the list.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well the list above came up against an Imperial Guard army and lost I am afraid.

2-1 (Blittz + T&H vs BTS)

- Greater Brass Scorpions remained broken all game which did not help
- Terminator assault (5 termies) on the Leman Russ Company failed dismally (2 tanks died to 1 terminator and I also lost the roll) This did not help either :P

It is too bad the above two things happened as the army really started to be a threat when the drop happened (3rd turn - yes I know). The initial failure of the termie drop on the 1st turn to take out the BTS on the blitz was quite a blow and showed that even with 5 units, the formation is still very fragile. Without fearless to protect them, they were essentially wiped out by manticores who only needed to hit rather than wound.

Overall, I was not too disappointed. I feel the Greater Brass Scorpion restriction of 2-4 is probably unnecessary. I am also struggling with the Lord of Battles costing 425 points. I believe if both these items were adjusted (Scorpions to be purchased individually and Lord of Battles to go to 400 points), the army would be about right. So this is something to place on the 'whiteboard' for consideration for the end of 2011.

Happy to gain feedback and thoughts.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I like the idea of allowing individual brass scorpions, helps with the activation count and can't be spammed too much as it is in WE section.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just realised that the list itself states that 'Spacecraft' form a part of the War Engine allowance.

This was never the intention and pretty much makes the lists just tested overcosted in this area. As the lists so far have not shown to be overpowered, I am removing the word 'spacecraft' from the restriction as it was an oversight. With just over a month to it's first appearance at a tournament, and as an error rather than a development change, I do not see this being an issue. I will get this done within the next 24 hours.

Quote:
I like the idea of allowing individual brass scorpions, helps with the activation count and can't be spammed too much as it is in WE section.

I agree. Whilst it does have opposition, I think it would be a viable change - much like the Shadowsword for the Imperial guard. Even at a 25 point discount for the scorpion, the Shadowsword is superior IMO. Like stated previously however, these are just ideas for now. Decisions to be made later on in the year after further playtests

Thanks for your input Apoc :)

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next