Login |  Register |  FAQ

[fanlist] Word Bearers

Post subject: [fanlist] Word Bearers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Now the Word Bearers Chaos Space Marine Legion.Again based on my Red Corsairs army list.Differences are:- no generic Daemons- able to summon Daemons from different faction for the same formation (but still can't combine hated factions).- Dark Apostle replaces Chaos Warlord and has Inspiring- no Cult Marines (they are to much dedicated to only one Chaos God for the Word Bearers tastes)- as in Iron Warriors and Night Lords the only Spaceship is the Devastation Class Cruiser which can be upgraded to a Carnage Class Cruiser.Thoughts?

Attachments:
WordBearersV1.1.zip [72.12 KiB]
Downloaded 830 times

Last edited by BlackLegion on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I would keep isummoning of daemons to one faction per formation and give nearby formations with hated factions a -1 to their initiative to represent the difficulty of keeping the daemons from going after each other.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Well the defining feature of the Word Bearers is that they have no problems summoning Daemons from different Chaos Gods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Updated to V1.1!

I now based the list on the novel "Dark Apostle". So the following changes took place:
- formations are now called Coteries
- Terminator Retinue renamed Anointed Coterie
- Retinue renamed Legionaires Coterie
- Chosen renamed Possessed Coterie
- added Kathartes Pack
- added Kathartes unit
- added Defiler Assault Force
- added Stormbird (same as SM Landing Craft for now)
- removed Carnage Class Cruiser, Chaos Spawns, all Titans, Daemon Prince and Obliterators

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(BlackLegion @ Mar. 17 2008,08:13)
Well the defining feature of the Word Bearers is that they have no problems summoning Daemons from different Chaos Gods.

Summoning is not the same as daemons getting along once they are here.

As well it is a decent balance condition to make up for the fact that they can pull daemons from any faction.

Its not always about the fluff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How about this: If you mix daemons from different chaos gods in one formation this formation receives -1 on their action tests?

And what do youand other think about the changes i made in V1.1?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can't see anyone having Stormbirds any more. I'd also hesitate to follow any of the 40K novels too closely. They come up with great literary ideas that aren't always very good when implemented in games.

I'd leave the Obliterators in as well. I can't recall any official fluff that excludes them from the army and they are quite useful.

If you mix daemons from different chaos gods in one formation this formation receives -1 on their action tests?

That might work but the obvious player response is to never do that and avoid the penalty.

The situation you want to apply negatives to are the ones that players will always want to do. Such as mixing daemon types across an army.

I would try to define some design goals for the army list and perhaps some sort of background story to define the army. It doesn't necessarily need to be "the" Word Bearers but could be an invasion force lead by the Word Bearers or a specific Word Bearers army.

Give your design a goal and a story and then attempt to build an army to match that. I think it is a more structured way to build an army list and opens your imagination up more to play with ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As stated this Word Bearers Host is already based on Dark Apostle Jarulek's invasion of the planet Tanakreg. The whole story is laid out in the novel "Dark Apostle".

Thunderhawks and Stormbirds are mentioned and it is said the Word Bearers used an even wider variety of transport aircrafts during the invasion.

Obliterators are never mentioned but Havocs and some eight legged AA Daemon Engines.
Daemons featured in the novel are either undivided (Kathartes aka Harpyes which take down a couple of Marauders) or Khorne (Bloodletters and a Bloodthirster are describet. Nice description how the Bloodthirster takes down an Elysian Valkyrie). But i don't know if i want to restirct the daemons to only these.

Post subject: Re: [fanlist] Word Bearers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

V1.1 reposted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey BlackLegion

having a look at this list - the Chaos Champ upgrade is s'posed to be one / army isn't it? Otherwize, it'd be the first army I've seen that can have more than one Supreme Commander ..

Also, I'm kinda wondering if some kind of mechanic ought to stop a player taking terminators and demons only ..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:57 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Has anybody actually played this list?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

O.o This thread is over two years old. I actually forgot that it existed....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi. New Word Bearers champion. Does anyone have ideas for proxies for defilers? thanks.

Post subject: Re: [fanlist] a new updated Word Bearers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Greetings,
I plan to debut a Word Bearers army tomorrow against my nephew's Biel-Tan Eldar army. I've been asked to follow the developing BL list and therefore the list I plan to follow tomorrow will consist of the following changes.

WB Core Formations
Legionaires Coterie
Kathartes Pack (4-8 flying Undivided Daemons)
Armoured Coterie

WB Elite Formations (Any one elite formation may be fielded per each Legionaires and/or Pack.)
Anointed Coterie
Possessed Coterie

WB Support Formations
Bike Coterie
Defiler Assault Pack
Havocs
Assault Coterie (One to three vehicles (may choose Chaos Baneblades, Plaguereapers or Brass Scorpions or a combination of the three)
Raptor Cult

WB Upgrades
All from the BL list minus Cult Marines.

I'm working on developing an actual list soon.

Adrian
Word Bearers Army Stooge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've recently been pondering collecting a Word Bearers army so am potentially interested in this. I'm thinking I could collect an army to use dual purpose as a late Heresy corrupted Word Bearers army in 30k epic games as well as CSM in 40k era epic.

Black Legions list isn't really that great and has probably never been tested. I really think the Word Bearers list should be a combination of the existing well tested Red Corsairs and Black Legion trial lists, with ideally no or very minimal add-ons and definite downsides in contrast to using them. Honestly, it's unlikely so see much playtesting and it's better to keep things simple and balanced. Depending how you go with the list I may use and playtest it as my go to for chaos list when I do my army, but I'll likely skip it if it's much different or seems unbalanced.

If you have a good read of the revised daemon related rules the current trial Black Legion list does an very good job of making demons and greater demons more playable. Each Daemonic Focus now adds one free demon to your demon pool and a Chaos Champion stand adds +2D3 summoning points or can be sacrificed and killed to generate 6, enough to guarantee making a Greater Demon. Undivided formations can now summon demons of any sort, though for balance these cost twice as many summoning points as normal.

Word Bearers Daemonic Summoning
Summoning loads of daemons is the Word Bearers theme and should be central to Word Bearers armies. I very strongly suggest a note in the army list that ALL eligible infantry formations in the army MUST take Daemonic Focus. You wouldn't necessarily want to do this with all your formations tactically, but it is very fitting to be forced to and it adds flavour and a downside.

Secondly I advocate generally using the Black Legion trial demon rules. However if it were twice as much to summon a daemon there would be less daemons appearing in Word Bearer armies than Black Legions ones, the opposite of what is wanted. I strongly suggest modifying the rule to include “each lesser daemon costs twice as much to summon if the formation already contains a daemon or greater demon of a different chaos god”. DO NOT use Black Legions formulation of allowing any daemon to be freely used without penalty, it's much too good and will allow combinations to be abused and gamed.

Other things:

I get the Word Bearers not having access to Slaanesh daemon engines and titans, since they don't get on well with the Emperor's Children but the list should really include a Tzeentch option as well as Nurgle and Khorne. I vote for including Tzeentch Silver Towers, but leave the Tzeentch flyers and stick with the standard ones.

Drop the Kathartes entirely from the list. A humanoid being able to catch up with and attack a fighter aircraft at supersonic speeds is entirely ridiculous and should be ignored. You could model them anyway and just use them as Raptors.

Include Obliterators! I don't give a monkeys if a particular Black Library author X didn't depict any
in book Y, this list should be a general Word Bearers list that may mention a particular campaign for background flavour. The BL novel Daemon World has Obliterators fighting alongside Word Bearers anyway. Obliterators are a combination of marine and daemon – they're an absolute perfect fit with the Word Bearers ethos. It also keeps the list closer to the other existing ones and easier to balance.

Include Titans! They're a powerful legion and Word Bearers would have access to Chaos Titans in the Eye. They fought with the Fire Lords traitor Titan Legion during the Battle for Calth in the Horus Heresy and would likely have maintained links with them.

As well as the cult marines I suggest dropping the Havoc formation as another downside and differentiator of the list. It's a useful little formation, but the list needs some downsides and differences vs BL and RC to balance out its advantages. Havocs would still be available, just only as an upgrade for the Retinue, not on their own.

Daemon Princes are highly appropriate for Word Bearers, as exemplars of CSM joining with daemonic powers. I don't understand why Black Legion's list didn't include them but they should definitely be there. I found a lexicanum page listing all mentioned daemon princes in the background and 4 of them are word bearers ones.