Login |  Register |  FAQ

DRM in 2008 and beyond

Post subject: DRM in 2008 and beyond
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:12 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

This is a cross post from the DRM forum, but I also wanted to get opinions from this board as well...

Anyway, I wanted to get some feedback from you guys about about DRM in 2008, and looking ahead to 2009.

Specifically, I would like your general opinions on a few aspects.

Miniatures - What have you liked from DRM in 2008, or what do you think has not been executed as well as you would have liked? Also, what about the general style of the minis, any comments or feedback there?

Company (game rules, game backround, shows, purchasing, web site, basically anything aside from the minis) - What has DRM done well in 2008, and what have we not done so well and could improve on?

2009 - Clearly, we have some plans for next year, but I would like to know what you guys expect, and what you would like to see from us. Now, I cant guarantee that everything/anything that you request will make it through, but I am genuinely interested in what the players are looking for. This could be minis, background, or pretty much anything from DRM in general. What would you like to pick up - either because it is needed for your force, or it fills a background requirement, or it would just be cool, or any reason at all.

If there is anything that you would like to let us know, but dont want to post it, please feel free to drop it to me in a PM via these boards. I think that it is very important that we keep touch with the people buying and playing.

Thanks, and all the best to everyone. Thank you to everyone who has supported DRM over 2008. I do think that 2009 is going to a big year for us, and I am glad that you guys will be along for the ride.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well you know my feelings about DRM ... I like it all !  Models, rules, etc. ... I just bought the new stuff from Despot.  So I'm a DRM-fanboy !!  :;):

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apart from being another fan boy then... :whistle:

Either three or six different poses, but not four.
Awkward ones are also awkward to use.

A bit more structure on weapons. The kraytonians for example has far to many different ones.
I think the same actually goes for vehicles too. There's to many!  :p Like Pax, they got three APC's. And two scout skimmers. Etc.

But what the heck am I saying?! DRM's models are nice as nothing. Especially as an "Imperial Guard" player I love them!

The second round of army lists made a lot of difference too. Al of a sudden it was possible to "get in character" with ones force of choice.

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:38 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the main 2008 feels like it was a slow year.  Perhaps a steady stream of small releases would help keep the excitement up, though I understand this may be difficult logistically.

I think it would be useful to have both a painted and unpainted picture of each miniature on your online store.  Sometimes the painted pics dont show the minis that well.  I've convinced a couple of people of the suitability of the Skyth stuff for their needs after sending them pics of unpainted models.

The infantry is in the main fabulous, though the odd legs pose on some of them seems awkward if not painful.

The wheels on a lot of the armour models are somewhat unconvincing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Your minis look great in my opinion, and I have nothing in the way of complaints.

However, I have been wondering if it wouldnt be a smart move to trying some scenery? Maybe not full houses, but more like small ruins, rubble, or misc. stuff like barrels and crates? Bunkers maybe, tank traps, barbed wire fences. Stuff like that. That would be very useful for us people making our own terrain pieces, or for making colourful bases for larger models, and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:10 am 
I'm sorry to turn this around on you, but what was released in 2008? The Skythe, Castellan, Majestic weapons, and what else?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think a series of small terrain elements would be quite handy. Sci-fi themed rubble, barricades etc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A third on the rubble -- it's one of the major weaknesses of the 6mm battlefield, both sci-fi and historical: lack of terrain accessory 'bitz'

Though, nb. perhaps we'd be best of lobbying DRM for metal skeletons with guns, and Wargame Factory for plastic bits!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:01 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Thanks guys. I welcome any comments, good or bad. If DRM is to expand then we need to ask your views on what is done.

I am glad to hear that the lists are starting to lead to characterful forces.

2008 was a little slow in miniature output. Much of the work conducted was 'behind the scenes' and revolved around aspects like getting reliable casting and distribution, filling out lines and setting up various background documents (unit guides, etc). While this is all necessary, we are a relatively small team and work in one direction means we cant do something else.

This is starting to fall into place, and I am really looking forward to 2009. We have some cool things in store. I dont know about the ETA on the tech aliens right now. I do think that we will have to hold off a little to establish the Skyth properly to ensure that each race gets a full force. There is nothing worse than collecting a force that is incomplete.

The scenery is a good idea. I will pass all of this thread on up to the boss, as with all of the comments in this thread.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:10 pm 
The Skythe had a promising start; plus whoever is casting those is brilliant. I have no idea how they're doing that with a production mold.

The Trident P.A. tank was a superb piece of work. The Castellian impresses due to its size, but it doesn't resonate with me (but that didn't stop me from buying both variants).

The 'infected' terrain seems hokey to me. It smacks too much of a "take this piece of terrain, greenstuff some goo onto it, voila!"

The army lists were excellent work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh yes...  more bugz.  Bugs with four and six legs?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well as far as Metal Skellys it seems to me with WF making them and E/W is also rumored to do some, I don't know if DRM will go that way ... but I'll happy be either way ! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:02 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Terrain is always useful.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:06 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

In reference to the minis I think DRM are some of the best.  They look good and something that is so important in 6mm they are tough.  They don't have bent barrels or weak spots that plaque other lines.  GHQ makes the best WWII micro armor but the accucary means you often see broken weapons.  In that regards the miniatures designs were excellent.

I would like to send a recommendation for some crew served weapons teams. Sometime like a heavy machine gun or a tripod mounted missile launcher for the human troops.

Thanks

-Lou