Login |  Register |  FAQ

SiegeMasters Review

Post subject: SiegeMasters Review
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So the army has been out for a while, I've got more metal siege infantry than is healthy and have played stacks and stacks of games.

In brief here are my recommendations.
Incorporate discussed FAQ (can dig out if you want to see it).
Infantry companies +50 points
SC company +25 points
Hellhounds -25 points
Snipers are 1-2 units per upgrade, 25 points each.
Roughriders +25 points
Artillary Battery +25 points for emplacements.
Flak -25 points
Artillary company -25 points
Heavy Tanks -25 points
Sappers get Small Arms ignore cover, Walker
Marauders get fixed by rules review please

So - what are my findings?

The army performs as intended. The troops are poor, it manoeuvres very badly, but it can take a lot of damage sitting in its lovely fortifications. The limit on support means that you will always be an infantry based force.

That?s the good.

The bad is...
Its overpowered. I have lost 2 games total with it when not playtesting against powergamed armies that aren't published yet (like Chaos etc) - note I do draw occasionally :).
Its nigh impossible to use at 5000 points on a 8x4 table, it takes an eternity to set up and fills the table to groaning point.
There?s too many activations.
Some units are a bit too poor, while others are a bit too good (for their points).

First, my all conquering 3000 point horde (or rather the army I used last, it changes a lot as I try out different combo's). (Using experimental Barrage rules upping the rt's at firepower, different force otherwise.)

150 points SiegeMaster HQ
100 points Griffons
500 points 4 Infantry companies
450 points Artillery Company
150 points Artillery battery
250 points 2 AA Formations
300 points Heavy Tank Formation
300 points 2 Light Tank Formations
250 points Sappers
200 points Deathstrikes
200 points 2 Fortifications
150 points Thunderbolts
100+ units, 15! Activations

Note the force could be better by dropping certain units for others, getting more fortifications etc but even I like units that aren't that optimal and have a soft spot for thunderbolts (but I'm always tempted by more artillary:)

Its wins by taking ages to die, laying a million blast markers (and sometimes actually killing stuff) and by having brilliant saves when in cover.
It loses by being out assaulted, air assaulted and having to move. I would have a tough time against an all armoured foe, but that hasn't come up yet.

I've messed around with transports and artillery companies but they just don't cut the mustard when everyone else isn?t moving. Likewise others use a lot more support but I find the horde to be slightly more effective.

Overall I think that the unit and activation count should go down and have a few tweaks to achieve that. Note the small formations have staying power due to all the fortifications.
My aim is to bring down the number of units and activations (and therefore staying power, set up time :) etc) without impacting the armies offensive capabilities and manoeuvring.

So here is a formation by formation breakdown of the army.

Infantry company.
The most numerous part of the army, pretty poor assault wise but normally in cover or reinforced for attacking roles.
It breaks faster than Guard in the open due to smaller unit size but the fortifications mean it can have great stationary staying power.
In my opinion the Infantry Company is the key problem for the army. Its the bulk of the units, its compulsory for all the nifty support gear and its damn cheap.
The price distorts the cost of other options. For instance support guns for 75 points are a good buy - but for less than the cost of 6 guns I get 10 more infantry and 2 more support slots.
Overall I think the size shouldn't be touched, they sit in cover most often so upping their size would make them disproportionately hard. Their equipment is appropriately bad (heavy stubbers? Ye Gods!) and they aren't that effective.
They are however the gateway unit for other formations, so if their cost goes up the number of activations and units in the army falls.

Recommendation - Increase the cost of the infantry company to 175 points.

SC company.
Same as above really. The SC in a siege army has a strange problem - it is a damn big bullseye. It has a unique rule that means it is a BTS in addition to the highest costing formation. Gives you two choices - hide or tool up to be the only BTS and assualt. I shift between the two options depending on how I feel. However he should still cost at least as much as the grunts so a points increase for him as well.

Recommendation - Increase the cost of the SC infantry company to 175 points.

Thudd and Rapiers.
Personally I reckon the Thudd Gun has a slight edge now, but other siege players reckon differently. I would too if I saw more Leman Russ. At 75 points they are slightly unatractive as compared to the infantry but with the increase in price the balance shifts ever so slightly. So leave well alone.

Infantry platoon.
No change to cost, by being more attractive to reinforce companies rather than buy new ones (due to company cost increasing) the activation count comes down.

Hellhounds and Griffons
Suffer by being AT targets attached to infantry formations so not that popular. Have toyed with idea of dropping cost by 25 points, at least for the Hellhounds.
Of course I would really like to simply change them into 'siege' vehicles. I.e. slow 'em down, change the secondary weapon fits to stubbers, that sort of thing. Of course this is where th elack of new models come in but to give you an idea of what I'd want here is my version of the Hellhound (based on the 2nd ed model).
Speed 20cm, Save 4+, CC 6+, FF 4+, Inferno cannon 30cm AP3+ Ignore Cover & Small Arms Ignore Cover.
100 points for 3.
As I can't make this happen, but still want to see less activations -25 points for the hellhound and no change to the griffon (with Hellhound 'saves' in the front it becomes more survivable). Note this makes 'em different to the guard, but there thet accompany mechanised formations normally so the AT issue isn't.

Recommendation, Hellhound upgrade costs 125 points.

Snipers.
I have loads, as does anyone buying epic guardsman. They just aren't taken much but the price when they are taken can be worth it (die die die characters and welcome to my scout zone of control). But I often have a spare 25 points - so to get this unit out more..

Recommendation - Sniper Upgrade becomes 1-2 snipers for 25 points each.

Artillery company
Well, its the BTS ready to go. Horribly vulnerable both choices of transport and emplacement have problems. The transport option means you are waiting to die generally, but can run, the emplacements that you get wiped out the first assualt you fight. The cost has proven to be slightly high as well. Normally I just go for 3 batteries, same cost, same firewpower, more activations and BM. Now I reckon the battery cost is slightly alright, so how to encourage the use of these over them? 50 points doesn't mean you will automatically take it over other options howeer is does mean it is less of an achilies heel and more of a strength. Now maybe all that is needed is changes to other formations however I'd like to see it tried.

Recommendation - Artillery company price drops to 425 points.

Artillery batteries
Ah yes, the best formation in my view. Cheap, expendable, high firepower and when entrenched difficult to deal with. 3 have more firepower than the company (under the experimental rules everyone seems to like). Okay so not as good as basilisks but 100 points cheaper. The cost for firepower and protection is fine here - what throws things off is the option to entrench. Unlike the company losing one to an assault isn?t that bad and the benefits to defence are great. Little movement is wanted to with the range.
I reckon making these chaps pay to entrench further increases the attractiveness of the company and also has a bit of a fluff reason - companies are in place (maybe) and firing, these batteries are brought up as replacements or as additional support as it is needed.

Recommendation - Make the battery come with transports as standard and make them have to pay 25 points extra to be entrenched instead.

Roughriders
I reckon these chaps are a little too hot in attacks. Others may disagree and I know this has been discussed in general for Guard. I guess also I like to see the assault troops in the list be a bit pricey. The are disadvantaged by not being able to use trenches and the like. Maybe they shouldn?t be pricier, what do you all reckon?

Recommendation ? RoughRider formations cost 175 points.

Light Tanks
Tractors with attitude. I love ?em. Then they die. Work best when not being shot at, for a  strong formation surprisingly fragile. I see no problem and have received no complaints about them.

Heavy tanks
I like the model. I have lots. Rarely will you see a formation in your army get as pounded as these chaps. 6 strong makes ?em a bit brittle, RA or no. Rarely survive a battle as they provide several things the army lacks ? AT fire, hardness and a good target for MW/TK/AT shots. The fact the buggers have a 60cm gun don?t help. They are slightly underperforming for cost and oft I am tempted to switch them out, sticking with them for the big tank factor. Perhaps a reduction in cost will make them fit in a bit better?

Recommendation ? Heavy Tank formation cost 275 points

AA battery
Okay, these guys ain?t cutting it. In testing they were 75 points for 3 with a 4+ entrenched save. They were also available as a company add on. They got made into separate batteries (quite rightly), the entrenched save went to 5+ and the points to 125. I think all three was a bit steep for what is a pretty poor flak piece (normally immobile, LV, AA 5+, 60cm range). The range is good but the rest a bit poor. The army is already very vulnerable to air attack, having flak that can be destroyed and broken very easily is a bit much. With no attached flak the army relies on these 3 gun formations and I think it is a bit too precarious. (Now 6 gun formations would be great! :) .)

Recommendation ? Flak battery costs 100 points.

Super Heavies
Well, it?s a shame they aren?t more siege like. Can see why they are in there and they seem to work, not my favourite formations though.

DeathStrikes
Compulsory and the only source of ranged TK/MW fire apart from the single shadowswords. Change if rules review changes them for Guard.

Sappers
My personal favourite unit to play with. I mean Sappers?
Many siege players reckon they are overpriced. Maybe they are, however I simply can?t get enough of them so can?t take an objective view. Often my attack is built around them simply because I like ?em so much. Sadly this means they often die. Two things spoil my enjoyment. 1 ? If I flame the target point blank it gets no cover, but if I firefight it gets a cover save? Come on! And I have lost count of the number of sapper I lose to my own barbed wire. Normal troops, fair enough ? but my engineers? Surely they can deal with wire?

Recommendations ? Sapper Units get Small Arms Ignore Cover and Walker abilities.

Fortifications
They do what they say on the tin. Since there is a limit to how many of these you want and it stays the same for the GT scenario, maybe going up a bit at 4-5000 points they are fine. 100 points allows 2 infantry companies to get cover, as long as you want to bunch up to suffer artillery strikes and intermingled assaults. Essentially what make the army the army I reckon.

In case you were wondering it changes the sample army above by 125 points (if you agree with the rt company reduction) - however it also weakens the rt battery slightly and would change the griffons into something else. But I think I would revise the list somewhat given the above.

So what do you think? What are your experiences fighting and fighting with Siege armies?

General Plumer, 191x

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Chris,

I've experienced pretty much the same as you regarding Siegemasters.

I enjoyed reading your post.

Thanks for writing it! :)

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have not fought with S/Army units ... but it appears many of your points are valid.  All the new DoK/S-A models/units I have are in a Siege Bn as part of an IG Rgt along 1 Mech Bn and 1 very big Armor Bn.  I also attached Gorgon Mk.II's and III's as transport for the Siege Inf., all my Siege FA & AAA have Brunhilda transport and I have Stormtroopers in the Siege Bn that can be Air Assaulted in by Valks/Vultures(for Close Spt).   And I have the R/R Cav with the Mech Bn.  After reading/looking at the intent/fluff/rules for the Siege Army ... I thought they would have a "challenging" time with maneuver.  So I decided to make the only Siege Bn I have part of a Combined Arms Rgt.  I've played a lot of Epic Games in the past, but as of yet, my DoK are SIB ! :down:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:01 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hi Chris

Thanks for posting- as of now not yet played with/against Siegemasters so interesting to see other people's perceptions of them.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:43 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I echo others sentiments that our experiences have been very similar.  I actually find all the Swordwind armies about 10% too cheap and it seems your point adjustments would just about match that.

I am curious about your heavy tanks adjustment, though.  We've found that they are very tough.  With the ability to garrison they usually do well at getting sights on the enemy quickly and delivering a lot of firepower, even if it is brief.

The difference may be that in the handful of times we've fielded them, they've been multiple formations.  That reduces the "one tempting target" syndrome, as the enemy has multiple RA formations on which to use MW/TK weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

See your point about the heavy tanks. I've only got two blisters so it has limited my deployment somewhat (I though the damn things came 6 to a pack).

Have tried two formations before - deployed together, forward garrisson in emplacements (no half measures). They were still jobbed in short order (broken then wiped out) in 2 turns. The garrison ability just doesn't make up for the shorter range, so they invariably loss out to tanks like the Russ (as they should). And don't mention the move. Get it wrong or have no targets and its a long slog to reposition. Essentially they are pretty, semi mobile turrets. There AT firepower can be matched I think by 3 lots of rapiers and they have infantry to absorb hits, more diffused accross the army fire so cover more of the table etc.

Discussed with old opponent today and he said I was in the right direction but I'd 'lost my balls' whilst in Bangladesh as he distintly remembers me being a lot harsher to the infantry due to the fortifications multiplier effect. Now my views may have changed a bit but due to the 'wierd' way the units interact in the army, the lack of AT targets/weapons fire, the terrain that follows objectives and a few other things so I'm not sure I should be as harsh as I've said in the past.

Then I was reminded of all the lectures about playtesting and starting low. So I'm adjusting the post above - in essence +50 points for the infantry. And we'll see how it goes from there.

I wonder if all the playtest armies come out will be a bit too cheap - this I guess is the dissadvantage of having a fan control the list and other race fans try it out :)

Oh, another comment was the rt batter was a bit complicated. Suggestion increse price by a 25 points and give the choice then, or drop the rt company to 400 points to increase the attractiveness (balanced byt he increased inf costs).

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hi chris,

I like the look of your recomendations for siegemasters and will add my thoughts .

Infantry Company + 50 pts
?Maybe making the companies 200/225 pts for the normal command unit +9 siege infantry units and then you choose to add on either the thudd guns ,rapiers or extra Infantry(I'd prefer 225).

This will cut the activations and limit ?support formations slightly.

Then have the regimental HQ at 225/250 pts with the same forced choice of upgrade(I'd prefer 250).

Not sure if this would be as good as your choice of upping company costs by 50 pts but it gives you something different to think about.

Snipers at 1-2 for 25 pts each
This is a good idea and I would like to see this in the Guard list as well .

Roughriders +25 pts
Not sure on this as whenever I've used RRs they usually get taken out before they do anything or just manage 1 assault.

Artillery battery + 25 pts for emplacements /company at - 25 pts

These look to be a great ideas.

Flak - 25 pts

It did seem a big jump from 75 upto 125 with all the other alterations.

Heavy tanks - 25 pts

These could do with a slight points drop or a slight speed boost to 20cm but would that go against the siege background.

sappers gaining SArms ignore cover and walker

This would suit the character of the models .

On the occasions I have faced (I even played against you at the Sheffield event center) or used Siegemaster they do have a lot of activations and they do seem to be very slightly overpowered.

I think the reduction in activations and slight increase in cost of Infantry companies (either by +50 pts or as I suggested ,forcing bigger companies to be selected) would go a long way to balancing them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (dptdexys @ 10 Jan. 2006 (14:50))

Maybe making the companies 200/225 pts for the normal command unit +9 siege infantry units and then you choose to add on either the thudd guns ,rapiers or extra Infantry(I'd prefer 225).

This will cut the activations and limit  support formations slightly.

It does - but it makes the companies harder to shift as standard (especially if to just go for infantry upgrades all the time) and you might need bigger reduction for the more mobile support formations. Reason? Well the activations should indeed come down - but so i think should the unit count.

Though I will give it a try of course :) Maybe it would work.

Roughriders +25 pts
Not sure on this as whenever I've used RRs they usually get taken out before they do anything or just manage 1 assault.

They are something of a one shot weapon, though they are excellent anti assualt unit assualters due to that first strike and 4+ CC.

Artillery battery + 25 pts for emplacements /company at - 25 pts

These look to be a great ideas.

You only say that because you faced 5 individual entrenched batteries :)

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That may have had a little to do with it :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd agree with most of your comments, I personally favoured the following changes to the list

Infantry company 150 pts
command infantry company 200 pts
artillery battery 175 pts

I would agree the rough riders need to be 175 pts but isn't this something that needs to be agreed across all imp guard armies.

Personaly I dont really think any other changes are needed, but can't say I disagree strongly with any of your proposed changes apart maybe for the heavy tanks getting a 25pt decrease.

I also think their should probably be a limit of 3 and not 6 bunkers per fortification.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Units can be priced differently accross all armies. just because they are wrong in one doesn't mean they are wrong in another.

After fiddling with them today and having a good chat at a club artillary wise I think the way may be to remove entrenchment as an option for batteries  (they have been brought up to support the front) and make the companies entrenched only (they are tasked to that part of the front line) with the rt battery remaining the same cost and the company educing 25-50 points.

Fortification wise I'm not to worries. Sure if you are infantry heavy the 6 bunkers are great, but with a changed cost balance for hellhounds and similar to infantry companies its better to have then, and for that you need entrenchments.

Perhaps for the vehicle upgrade to be more popular the siege units should always be able to garrisson? Reguardless of how many fast movers in the formation? Thats a boost for hellhounds certainly, though I fear griffons are then too cheap.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Utah, pick a Pacific Island the other half of the year.
Beyond echoing others sentiments and agreeing with your ascertions, I must agree with Neal.....(It's almost like I was forced :laugh: )

I always field multiple Ragnorok formations and have found them to be very tough for opponents to directly deal with.

Glad to have you back my friend!

Jaldon :p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Something else besides the hellhound I would change if I was all powerful - Deathstrikes. I'd make them 2 static deathstrike missile silos. Oh for the power!

You may note I object in general to chimera chassis being used in the army.

Not sure how I'd replace the griffon. Its almost unnessecery - indeed I am very tempted to see if it can be dropped entirely. Here it is a cheap 3 point barrage, in the guard I see a use for them and regularily do (normally with mech/leman russ companies), whereas with these chaps they compete with the cheap rt battery.

To be sure I've considered an army of 9 companies + griffons, 1 HQ + griffons, deathstrikes, fortifications, 2 flak and thunderbolts (100 infantry, 30 griffons, 6 flak and 2 planes - 14 activations and 10 barrage templates a turn at a reduced range). I have enough Griffons bizzarly (how?) but can't face the set up time. Plus it wold be rather slow. Guess I'd have to get some scout cars in!

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

do you really think missile silo's are in character.  Surely a missile silo has to be dug into the ground and is a long term installation.  Maybe a DS mounted on the forgeworld earthshaker carriage somehow or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep - siege lines are long term affairs with big bunkers and stuff dug to guard strategic objectives - don't see why missile sissilos wouldn't be amoung them. Indeed they could actually be two of your objectives (and the objective models incidentally do nicely).

General Plumer, 191x