Login |  Register |  FAQ

General Guard Rant

Post subject: General Guard Rant
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The initiative value (the value in 40k, not the one in epic) also contributes to the save value (in epic). Those scorpions and warp spiders have I5 (I think) vs I4 for SMs and I3 for guard and sisters (I think). Its a minor thing, I suppose, but it does contribute in assaults.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

semajnollissor,

For what its worth, I think the Eldar and IG may have gotten the shaft a bit in E:A armor.

I think the marines and Tau saves in E:A are correct - for the reasons others have posted in this thread... (regardless of what those tau testers might have you belive :/).

Their are several weapons that allow both Eldar guardians and IG infantry a save in 40K. Any weapon in 40K that does not have an AP5 or lower would allow both guardians and IG a save. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of these weapons - but they do exist. Frag missile, lasgun, multi-laser, heavy stubber, and their are more.

However, there are several 'main infantry weapons' that don't allow IG and Guardians a save in 40K. Their are many weapons that are AP5 (bolt pistol, bolter, storm bolter, combi-bolter, burst cannon, pulse rifle, pulse carbine, and the list goes well on beyond this). None of these and many others would allow the IG or guardians saves... however, the Tau and Marines would still get their saves as their armor is better.

Only until you get to AP4 weapons in 40K do you eliminate the Tau infantry (non-suit) saves. Missile Pod, Smart Missile System, Auto-cannon, Heavy Bolter, Assault Cannon, etc.

Even then - the Tau take things like shield drones to absorb some of this fire. The stealth suit, crisis suit, and broadside battle suit wearing infantry are better protected yet from the lessor armored Tau infantry. These guys have armor 3+ and armor 2+ like Marines and Terminators. It takes even bigger guns with lower AP values to eliminate their saves.

So it's not just Toughness or ease to hit that's the issue. There are things like saves and weapon armor penetration values from 40K that also come into play. There are also things like drones which 'bulk up' infantry.

Now - back to your original point. Like you, I've never understood why IG and Eldar don't have a base 6+ armor save. AFterall, they both do wear some amount of armor in 40K and against massed FF in combat, they are dealing with lasguns and shurkrens, shotguns, and the alike. Their flak armor equivilent would come into play - at least in the FF.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Tactica @ 29 Mar. 2006 (16:39))
Now - back to your original point. Like you, I've never understood why IG and Eldar don't have a base 6+ armor save. AFterall, they both do wear some amount of armor in 40K and against massed FF in combat, they are dealing with lasguns and shurkrens, shotguns, and the alike. Their flak armor equivilent would come into play - at least in the FF.

Cheers,

But if you would give to orks then if IG and eldar would get 6+ armour save? They are supposed to be tougher than IG troopers afterall...And 5+ seems tad OTT for ork boyz and would up the price too much and reduce their horde status.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tneva,

Your point about the orks is well met and basically I agree - ork save shouldn't get better.

In my previous post, I wasn't making a proposal, just empathizing with the author and commenting.

From a proposal perspective, I could see an IG and Eldar playtest allowing them either;

1) saves in close combat and FF but maybe not in regular shooting.

Alternatively, something like,

2) they could have the one 6+ save for every 2 wounds inflicted and just a blanket rule.

For the sake of argument, call it the Light Infantry rule.

The reason for that recomendation / feeling / suggestion / whatever... is that the shooting in E:A is 'mainly' bigger guns that guardians and IG don't save well from. However, considering their armor will have some impact on shrapnel and some of the small arms fire - some save on some level does seem warranted.

I agree though, Orks save should not get better than what it is. Orks are tougher than IG and Guardians... on the other hand, in 40K, Orks only wear 6+ armor and IG and Guardians wear 5+ armor.

So although orks aren't wounded as much when a volley comes in, of the wounds they take, their armor rarely makes the saves. The IG and Eldar armor does make saves more often of the volleys that do come in.

Frankly, now that I'm thinking about it - there's an argument to be made for Orks, IG, and Eldar guardians to have the exact same saves from a 40K perspective.

Again, maybe the 6+ save across the board on these three base line infantry units does make sense from a 40K perspective alone.

Definitely don't see any of them with a better save than 6+ though.

Just my thoughts on the matter though...