Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

Cadian Shock Troops v1.5

Post subject: Re: Cadian Shock Troops v1.5
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First game with the Cadians hoping to get more in and reported at least semiweekly.

CADIAN REGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS [600]
1 Imperial Guard Supreme Commander unit, 7 Kasrkin units and 1 Leviathan Mobile Command Centre, Sanctioned Psykers (2 Sanctioned Psyker units), Commissar

KASRKIN INFANTRY COMPANY [175]
1 Imperial Guard Commander unit and 7 Kasrkin units, Commissar

MECHANIZED KASRKIN [300]
1 Imperial Guard Commander unit, 7 Kasrkin units, 4 Valkyries, Commissar

MECHANIZED KASRKIN [300]

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 hydras, Commissar

REAVER CLASS TITAN [650]

THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

Yme-Loc Craftworld (NetEA Army Compendium v20120208)
==================================================

ENGINES OF VAUL WARHOST [450]
2 Cobra

2 Scorpion

SWORDS OF VAUL WARHOST [380]
Farseer, 4 Falcon, Fire Storm, 2 Fire Prism

Farseer, 4 Falcon, 2 Fire Prism, Fire Storm

ASPECT WARRIOR TROUPE [475]
6 Dire Avenger, 3 Wave Serpent, Exarch, Autarch

CHAINS OF VAUL TROUPE [400]
4 Night Spinners, Firestorm

YME-LOC WIND RIDER TROUPE [200]
6 Vyper

RANGER TROUPE [100]
4 Ranger

GUARDIAN TROUPE [175]
7 Guardians, Farseer
Eldar Rangers garrison a building by the objective on the left and I deploy my Kasrkin to each deployment zone each one in a forest. I have my Regimental command on the left with both of my Airborne Kasrkin. My arty is deployed in the center around my blitz and behind a building covered by my hydra formation, and the reaver to the right. He has his formations spread evenly with the cobras across from the Regimental and the scorpions on the left and the chains in the center to cover most of the board.

Eldar win the initiative and begin with an barrage from their arty on my left kasrkin formation achieving 7 hits I amazingly make all but 2 saves but due to the disrupt the formation breaks. He retains and uses one of his swords to poke at my Leviathan taking out its shields and passes activation. I activate my first arty battery and fail to do any damage to his aspect troupe. He Flanks his vypers to the right which is now fairly open since the kasrkin broke threating my artillery. I attempt to activate my Regimental failing and having to reroll to move forward and managing to kill a couple of falcons from the force that killed his shields. He repositions his other sword and aspects forward. My second arty puts a wound on the cobras and some blast marks on other formations. Reaver moves forward putting some wounds on another sword formation. Eldar respond by putting a sword formation and the scorpions into the reaver taking out its shields but the reaver manages to make his saves. I send my airborne to try and hurt his aspects. With one formation getting close enough to unload their Kasrkin but both fail to do any wounds. My thunderbolts fail to enter the field. Some more repositioning ends turn one.

My Kasrkin fail to rally and eldar win activation again.

He pops up his avatar right by the aspects. He immediately activates his aspects and combine assaults the closest airborne formation. Despite a valiant attempt (the commissar crit the avatar killing it) the formation is wiped out. Due to the avatars death the aspects flee escaping my vengeance. He retains getting a sword unit to unload on my reaver again taking out my shields, and follows up with the scorpions putting two wounds on him and breaching his core. The Reaver activates moving behind a building and shooting at a sword unit killing all but 1 of them. The cobras manage to hit my leviathan and one of my valks from the remaining airborne unit doing 2 wounds to the leviathan. Using a combination of arty and the leviathan I managed to break the other two sword formations. Eldar arty attempted to break the other unmounted kasrkin formation but failed to hit for the most part. My thunderbolts managed to kill 4 vypers breaking their formation ending turn two.
My Kasrkin that broke turn 1 fail to rally again and continue to move away from the enemy. Unfortunately the elder have 4 broken formations and only 1 manages to rally.

The elder again win initiative.

The scorpions shoot at the leviathan taking out the shields and doing another point of damage. They retain the initiative and assault with the guardian formation but are far enough away that I’m able to interpose a few kasrkin to take the wounds for the leviathan letting me repulse the guardian assault. I move the leviathan and regroup and securing one of my opponent’s objectives. My opponent attempted to break my kasrkin formation holding my back objective with his artillery but his dice fail him. I move my reaver to take his second objective and my remaining airborne secures my 3rd objective.

The game ends at the end of three with me having
-Defend the Flag
-Take and Hold
-They shall not Pass

Ill post my comments on the game in a while

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I knew intellectually that the leviathan was extremely slow but I wasn’t prepared for it to barley reach halfway by the end of the game. Not being able to garrison the slowest war engines is a definite handicap.
One question/comment that we did have was that we thought it was weird that the kasrkin had a normal infantry commander vs a kasrkin commander. We assumed it was to simplify the army list, but seemed a little weird.
Was a very fun list to run and am looking forward to running it more over the next few weeks. Here is what my next list will probably be.

Cadian Shock Troopers (NetEA v1.5 *DEVELOPMENT*)

1 Imperial Guard Supreme Commander unit, 7 Kasrkin units and 1 Leviathan Mobile Command Centre, Sanctioned Psykers (2 Sanctioned Psyker units)

1 Imperial Guard Commander unit and 7 Kasrkin units

MECHANIZED KASRKIN [300]
1 Imperial Guard Commander unit, 7 Kasrkin units, 4 Valkyries

MECHANIZED KASRKIN [300]
1 Imperial Guard Commander unit, 7 Kasrkin units, 4 Valkyries

GRIFFON PLATOON [200]
6 Griffons

SENTINEL SQUADRON [125]
6 Cadian Sentinels

TANK PLATOON [400]
6 Lehman Russ Tanks

TANK PLATOON [400]
6 Lehman Russ Tanks

2 Thunderbolts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That list is very vunerable to air assaults. Maybe some more ground AA?

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yea my opponents haven't been running a lot of air. I could run it as a more all comers list but I figured id try playing with formations I have used yet to kinda get a feel for everything.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kragh wrote:
When i download v. 1.56 from page one. I get the 1.55?
Whoops, forgot to change the header. Will fix that in the next version :)
(So you have downloaded the right file)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Inhir wrote:
First game with the Cadians hoping to get more in and reported at least semiweekly.

1 Imperial Guard Supreme Commander unit, 7 Kasrkin units and 1 Leviathan Mobile Command Centre, Sanctioned Psykers (2 Sanctioned Psyker units), Commissar

MECHANIZED KASRKIN [300]

MECHANIZED KASRKIN [300]

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks

ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Basilisks

FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 hydras, Commissar

REAVER CLASS TITAN [650]

2 Thunderbolts

Yme-Loc Craftworld (NetEA Army Compendium v20120208)

2 Cobra

2 Scorpion

Farseer, 4 Falcon, 2 Fire Prism, Fire Storm

ASPECT WARRIOR TROUPE [475]
6 Dire Avenger, 3 Wave Serpent, Exarch, Autarch

CHAINS OF VAUL TROUPE [400]
4 Night Spinners, Firestorm

YME-LOC WIND RIDER TROUPE [200]
6 Vyper

RANGER TROUPE [100]
4 Ranger

GUARDIAN TROUPE [175]
7 Guardians, Farseer
Eldar Rangers garrison a building by the objective on the left and I deploy my Kasrkin to each deployment zone each one in a forest. I have my Regimental command on the left with both of my Airborne Kasrkin. My arty is deployed in the center around my blitz and behind a building covered by my hydra formation, and the reaver to the right. He has his formations spread evenly with the cobras across from the Regimental and the scorpions on the left and the chains in the center to cover most of the board.

Eldar win the initiative and begin with an barrage from their arty on my left kasrkin formation achieving 7 hits I amazingly make all but 2 saves but due to the disrupt the formation breaks. He retains and uses one of his swords to poke at my Leviathan taking out its shields and passes activation. I activate my first arty battery and fail to do any damage to his aspect troupe. He Flanks his vypers to the right which is now fairly open since the kasrkin broke threating my artillery. I attempt to activate my Regimental failing and having to reroll to move forward and managing to kill a couple of falcons from the force that killed his shields. He repositions his other sword and aspects forward. My second arty puts a wound on the cobras and some blast marks on other formations. Reaver moves forward putting some wounds on another sword formation. Eldar respond by putting a sword formation and the scorpions into the reaver taking out its shields but the reaver manages to make his saves. I send my airborne to try and hurt his aspects. With one formation getting close enough to unload their Kasrkin but both fail to do any wounds. My thunderbolts fail to enter the field. Some more repositioning ends turn one.

My Kasrkin fail to rally and eldar win activation again.

He pops up his avatar right by the aspects. He immediately activates his aspects and combine assaults the closest airborne formation. Despite a valiant attempt (the commissar crit the avatar killing it) the formation is wiped out. Due to the avatars death the aspects flee escaping my vengeance. He retains getting a sword unit to unload on my reaver again taking out my shields, and follows up with the scorpions putting two wounds on him and breaching his core. The Reaver activates moving behind a building and shooting at a sword unit killing all but 1 of them. The cobras manage to hit my leviathan and one of my valks from the remaining airborne unit doing 2 wounds to the leviathan. Using a combination of arty and the leviathan I managed to break the other two sword formations. Eldar arty attempted to break the other unmounted kasrkin formation but failed to hit for the most part. My thunderbolts managed to kill 4 vypers breaking their formation ending turn two.
My Kasrkin that broke turn 1 fail to rally again and continue to move away from the enemy. Unfortunately the elder have 4 broken formations and only 1 manages to rally.

The elder again win initiative.

The scorpions shoot at the leviathan taking out the shields and doing another point of damage. They retain the initiative and assault with the guardian formation but are far enough away that I’m able to interpose a few kasrkin to take the wounds for the leviathan letting me repulse the guardian assault. I move the leviathan and regroup and securing one of my opponent’s objectives. My opponent attempted to break my kasrkin formation holding my back objective with his artillery but his dice fail him. I move my reaver to take his second objective and my remaining airborne secures my 3rd objective.

The game ends at the end of three with me having
-Defend the Flag
-Take and Hold
-They shall not Pass

Ill post my comments on the game in a while
Thanks for the report! To get "They shall not pass" against Eldar is really nice :)

I usually never even get close to the middle with my Leviathan, they guard the Blitz and move a little sideways to get a clear shot or two...but it works ok. Nice to see that you manage to field a Reaver also and still win :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Inhir wrote:
One question/comment that we did have was that we thought it was weird that the kasrkin had a normal infantry commander vs a kasrkin commander. We assumed it was to simplify the army list, but seemed a little weird.
Thats right, it's mostly for simplicity. The list already have a lot of special stuff so it feels ok to me that it has a normal commander. Guess it could change to something like a +1 EA in CC and commander but I would like to Keep it simple.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bat Rep for you

http://d6addiction.blogspot.com.au/2016 ... siege.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Inhir wrote:
I knew intellectually that the leviathan was extremely slow but I wasn’t prepared for it to barley reach halfway by the end of the game. Not being able to garrison the slowest war engines is a definite handicap.

I think the speed is fine. I place both my objective 30cm apart just on my opponents line and moved my leviathan in that direction.

Double turn 1 and shoot (Just to place blast markers) and next turn you can already be placed defending/contesting the two objectives with a fantastic armored unit that's great in assaults.
1 more turns to maneuver as you seem fit :)

Inhir wrote:

I found it useful. Commander stand still has the autocannon so can reach out and place blast markers at the 45cm range.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would like to raise a question about the theme of the Cadians: Storm Troopers with War Engines.
How come that the lists discussed/used in this thread all lack the the "Cadia only" Stormlord? All those foot slogging Kasrkin doesn't feel very "shocky" or "stormy" (save Inhir's airborne). I understand that to balance a list one must make the "look at the horror list I made"-test, and that the number of activations is vital to the game. But it seems like the Kasrkin company is mostly used as a cheap baseline objective guardian for unlocking support formations and increase activations.

Some open questions to this:
-Would we see more Stormlords and assaulting Kasrkin if Stormlords were both the 150 pts dedicated transport it is now and a 175/200 pts support formation?
- What would happen if the mechanized kasrkin were a Company with either chimeras, valkyries or stormlords and the foot sloggers were made into a heavy support kasrkin Support formation with or without some platform/heavy weapons?

Anyway, I really like the list and has just finished sculpting my own stormlords :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Elrik wrote:
I would like to raise a question about the theme of the Cadians: Storm Troopers with War Engines.
How come that the lists discussed/used in this thread all lack the the "Cadia only" Stormlord? All those foot slogging Kasrkin doesn't feel very "shocky" or "stormy" (save Inhir's airborne). I understand that to balance a list one must make the "look at the horror list I made"-test, and that the number of activations is vital to the game. But it seems like the Kasrkin company is mostly used as a cheap baseline objective guardian for unlocking support formations and increase activations.

-Would we see more Stormlords and assaulting Kasrkin if Stormlords were both the 150 pts dedicated transport it is now and a 175/200 pts support formation?
- What would happen if the mechanized kasrkin were a Company with either chimeras, valkyries or stormlords and the foot sloggers were made into a heavy support kasrkin Support formation with or without some platform/heavy weapons?

Anyway, I really like the list and has just finished sculpting my own stormlords :)

Activation count is king in competitive epic which is why you don't generally see upgrades of any sort in many armies. Cadians are just victim to that reality. I think the game could be much better if there was a cap on activations or something like that but that's a central game concept not something relevant to cadians. Hope that clears it up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Beefcake4000 wrote:
Elrik wrote:

Activation count is king in competitive epic which is why you don't generally see upgrades of any sort in many armies. Cadians are just victim to that reality. I think the game could be much better if there was a cap on activations or something like that but that's a central game concept not something relevant to cadians. Hope that clears it up.

I understand that, but why design a list with options no one is going to use, especially when it comes to one of the list's "signature units"? Why not try to make them a viable option for competitive epic (not just for casual play)?

Activation cap is an interesting thought, but is as you said a major change of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Elrik wrote:
Beefcake4000 wrote:
Elrik wrote:

I understand that, but why design a list with options no one is going to use, especially when it comes to one of the list's "signature units"? Why not try to make them a viable option for competitive epic (not just for casual play)?

Activation cap is an interesting thought, but is as you said a major change of the game.

I think that making the stormlords a support option is an interesting idea but my understanding of your suggestions making karskin motorised would mean the points of the core formations would go up which is a big problem. It's already hard to compete with eldar players who have a 3-1 ratio of core to support with cheap core units and cheaper support units. Increasing the cost of core cadian units doesn't improve anything, it just moves cadians to the level of steel legion which are already not competitive due to expensive core options

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

+1 what Beefcake said

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@beefcake I agree that making kasrkin mechanized "only" might not be the best option because of costs and activation count.

My main point was that "This list focus on Infantry and War Engines" and I kind of missed war engines in the list presented in the thread and play tests. Comparing to other imperial guard armies it feels like this focus is already taken and better incarnated by the DKoK (gorgons, shadowswords, warhounds, backed by lots of massive infantry). And the "some footslogging-activation count" is already taken by the steel legion.
Perhaps Cadians should get some fundamental changes to make them "elite shock troopers with war engines/tanks"? A slot that is not taken by any other IG army. Or at least make Whiteshields a viable low-cost-activation-count-unit, not the elite Kasrkin?

But I'd be glad if the thought of making the storm lord a support option is considered :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next