Login |  Register |  FAQ

Krieg Armoured Battlegroup 0.1

Post subject: Krieg Armoured Battlegroup 0.1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The men of Krieg usually form siege regiments with tens of thousands of men. But others are trained and equipped as tank regiments. As with Death Korps siege regiments they grind down their opponents with overwhelming numbers while caring little for casualties or the fate of individuals.

Attachment:
Krieg Armoured Battlegroup 0.1.xls [20.5 KiB]
Downloaded 625 times

Attachment:
Krieg Armoured Battlegroup Reference 0.1.xls [15 KiB]
Downloaded 415 times

Krieg Armoured Battlegroups have their own full army list in 40k (in FW's Imperial Armour 7 book, the last of the Vraks trilogy) and this new list I'm putting out there is heavily based on that and what we know of them from the books. In practice it's a bit of a mash-up of the epic Minervan and Krieg lists, with Krieg versions of the Russes plus one all new unit (the Malcador Infernus, a corrosive gas tank Krieg favour). It'll need some testing and tweaks and the costing is a bit of guesswork but there are various downsides and limitations compared to the Minnervan list and I'd be surprised if there were any major balance issues. I mostly wrote it up some time ago and it's about time I put it out there. It'll be a side project that I'll test occasionally, rather than my main focus, but Krieg are my favourite IG army and I have a suitable model collection for them so I'd like to develop an appropriate list. It could be a good list for anyone who likes Krieg, lots of tanks, or has the FW epic Leman Russ models (which all came without sponsons).

Krieg Russ variants:
These are specially modified for their environments with trench rails (can re-roll failed dangerous terrain tests caused by trenches). Also, significantly, Krieg don't fit any of their Russes with sponsons (there are probably 50+ Russes depicted in the FW trilogy of Imperial Armour trilogy and none of them have sponsons), though they come with a pintle mounted Heavy Stubber instead. As a result their shooting, FF and cost is reduced, differentiating the list from other armoured lists and enabling slightly more tanks on the table (fitting the swamp the enemy with numbers tactics favoured by Krieg).

Unit inclusions:
I put in the core Krieg vehicles that FW released Krieg specific versions of the models for and those depicted in the Vraks trilogy, leaving out the wider range of Russ variants and IG vehicles. I dislike the Minervan Destroyer stats (which are are hugely excessive compared to it's 40k abilities by giving it TK) and considered borrowing the Epic-UK version instead which makes the Destroyer Tank Hunter 75cm AT2+ Sniper with the unit also having scout, but ultimately I decided it was just easier to not include the unit in the list and anyone with them can just count them as a Vanquisher instead. I added rare support formations (2 of which can be taken in a 3k list) which can be a platoon of Krieg infantry (10 strong rather than the 20 strong companies in the Krieg list) which come with either a Gorgon or trenches. It seemed appropriate to be able to take some infantry and trenches on the table even if the army is based around tanks.

Malcador Infernus:
I'm particularly keen on feedback on this. It's a Malcador variant, so 4+ Reinforced and with only 15cm move. It's corrosive gas canon seems to be similar but more powerful than the Hellhound's Inferno Gun so I stated it at 30cm AP2+ Disrupt, Ignore Cover. Is 175 reasonable for an upgrade of 3? They're powerful units at close range but can only be added to an expensive core formation and they would slow down a Russ tank company with their 15cm move.

I want the core of the list to have to be Russes but do people think Machariuses be a company rather than a platoon? If so would it still be 3 of them or a greater number?

Refer to the existing Death Korps of Krieg and Minnervan references for the other unit stats.

Thoughts? Comments, feedback and playtesting welcome! :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Krieg Armoured Battlegroup 0.1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm sad to see Destroyers out. I too think the sniper vs Tk(1) would of been better.

So basically this is the DKoK Spin on a Tank Legion? Sweet!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I could include it easily enough if there's a desire for it. It'd have it's own unit entry anyway due to having trench rails and the pintle heavy stubber, so I could just put it down with the epic-UK version of the Destroyer stats. I wasn't sure if people might object to the weapon having different stats here though? Really it's a shame the Minnervan Destroyer didn't get toned down - there was discussion about doing so at one point but Mosc ultimately decided to keep the list unchanged.

Yep, it's basically the Krieg tank list.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played around with options and put together an army list I think represents the list well and which I'd like to try in one of my next few games (assuming one of my regular opponents are willing to alpha test an experimental list, hopefully one will).

10 Krieg Thunderers 475
3 Stormswords, Hydra 550 (BTS)
8 Grenadier scouts in 8 Centaurs 300
3 Hydras 150
3 Basilisks 250
DK Platoon (10) in a single Gorgon 250
5 Krieg Russes, 5 Krieg Russ Annihilators 500
Shadowsword 200
3 Machariuses (Command Macharius with Vulcan Mega Bolter option) 325
9 activations, 3k, 41 units or DC of 4+ Reinforced Armour in the list.

Not taking a supreme is a risk, but I want numbers of tanks and formations on the table and there wasn't anything I wanted to drop to free up 100 points. The limitation of only 2 rare support formations at 3k leaves a tough challenge as to which to take; as they're all useful in different ways and contain the only scout units in the list.

Does the above seem like a reasonable army to face in a game? I thought I'd stick the list up in advance for feedback as it there are any obvious problems or balance concerns it would be better to fix them before rather than after.