Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next

Baneblade Test Thread

Post subject: Re: Baneblade Test Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

True you could still pillbox them but as I've said, that's ok IMHO. :)
Ass shock units, they break through lines. What they don't do is attempt it unsupported. They bring their friends :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Should a Baneblade formation have a command tank with an extra FF attack and commander then?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The commander idea reminds me of something else we discussed to provide a bit more flexibility in list building. Currently the supreme commander being attached to a specific formation is very limiting. Changing this to a 100 point SC upgrade which could be added to any Co (ie. Foot inf, mech inf, leman russ or super heavy) would open up several more options.

The choice of a 7 strong leman Co (ie. 2 platoons and a command tank like the infantry) would also be great...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hell I have always though it should be free - Guard basically pay a penalty for being average :( I mean Orcs activate on a 1+ for what they want to do! Anyway...

The problem with making it floating is that the list was always supposed to be mech imperial guard, hence the SC unit being a mech formation. Start to change that and you start to change the character of the list.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Only that the don't really excell in that point - there are far better choices for mobile infantry (Cadia for example, or Krieg). Steel legion is more a generalists approach to Guard in my opinion as it can basically take anything. Changing the Commander to floating and adding double platoons (6ish Tanks) would make them too flexible - which is no trait of the army.

Regarding the Baneblades I think that I really would prefer Infiltrate as it makes the tank unique, instead of upgunning it. Or simply give it speed 20cm (the same as a Russ). That could also work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Largo_W wrote:
Steel legion is more a generalists approach to Guard in my opinion as it can basically take anything.

Not entirely true, there are some unfortunate limitations: Storm Troopers can't take Chimeras (odd considering they can in 40k and using loads of Chimera is a Steel Legion trait backgroundwise) and the Regimental HQ coming with mandatory Chimeras (I'd quite like to run an IG army with the Reg HQ on foot sometimes).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

While you can do different things with it, it remains a steel legion at its core. I.e. guardsmen in chimera. Doesn't matter if there are ones out there that do it better (if the Cadia list does that is quite amusing as that was supposed to be more infantry!). I think the most consistently effective builds with it have the two mech companies supported by whatever. I would certainly prefer it - SC buried in an infantry company, SHT company with shadowsword as BTS, 2 mech with hydra and griffons...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The_Real_Chris wrote:
While you can do different things with it, it remains a steel legion at its core. I.e. guardsmen in chimera. Doesn't matter if there are ones out there that do it better (if the Cadia list does that is quite amusing as that was supposed to be more infantry!). I think the most consistently effective builds with it have the two mech companies supported by whatever. I would certainly prefer it - SC buried in an infantry company, SHT company with shadowsword as BTS, 2 mech with hydra and griffons...

...But the SC can't be in an infantry co..

Unless you're not talking about the Steel Legion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The thread above raised the prospect of a different way of placing the SC and several posts subsequently referenced it. Currently the only way to get a SC is to get a mech company.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:11 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'd rather see the Stormhammer have Infiltrate as the true Guard assault super-heavy.
This would mean that the Baneblade could be given a 3+FF to make it more appealing.
I'm not keen on the 2BP idea.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I thought the stormhammer had a great wieght of fire than a baneblade? This is the thing that originally had 4 battlecannon in two turrets, then 4 sponsons each with 3 weapons and a weapon in a turret each? Seem far more about short ranged sustain... (a sustain gaining at least 10 hits)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wouldn't mess with supreme commanders, etc. you're messing with lists too much, and if anything should be reserved for discussion on a different thread.

I also don't think we should change the speed/infiltrate. The BB chassis is specifically stated as being slow.

I'm also starting to think the BB cannon isn't the solution. It's not supposed to be a heavy firepower linebreaker. The stormhammer is. The BB is an all-rounder. A slow all-rounder at that. What I keep reading however is that it is often used as a command vehicle due to its vox, sensors, and overall inspiring presence. In this way i like the "commander" idea that has been circulating on this thread recently.

What if Baneblades got a special rule where IG formations within 5 cm got a +1 bonus to initiative and rally rolls, kind of like orks? I know people don't like special rules, but this might prevent major changes to stats while giving a clear role for a baneblade... Namely an all-rounder command tank that inspires other formations to advance and hold the line. It makes it more of a synergist tank, something I don't think any of the super heavy tanks have.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If it gives +1 to those around it, how come it is 2+ itself...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't you rain on my parade TRC! :gah

Could make it +1 initiative like titans.

IDk, just throwing out ideas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next