Login |  Register |  FAQ

Gonna go Steel Legion instead!

Post subject: Gonna go Steel Legion instead!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

New list! Not happy with the options Minervan was presenting me with. So decided to go back to old faithfull; a small number of hard hitting activations but still a decent number in total. I want something that I can play quickly (without analysis paralysis!) as its 3 tourney games per day.

I know it might not be the most effective list (opinions on the artillery company seem to be very low) but I'm thinking it will be the best for my playstyle if I can get the Warhounds worked out:

REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra
TANK COMPANY [750]
10 Leman Russ, Hydra, 2 Ogryns
SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels
WARHOUND TITAN [275]
WARHOUND TITAN [275]
ARTILLERY COMPANY [700]
9 Basilisk, Hydra
SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200]
Shadowsword
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Gonna go Steel Legion instead!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:39 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Well, I'd say that you feel a little light on activations and once you loose your sentinels it will be even harder. However, if it suits your style of play go with it.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Warhounds are great used with the Reg HQ to engage stuff, often in t2 when they're recharging plasma

I'd be concerned you're only packing 8 activations, only 7 of which can capture objectives

if you want to try it out, I suggest putting the ogryns in with the artillery company, as it stands it's horrendously vulnerable to air-assault, and the ogryns are going to slow your tank company down.... it does make the artillery into your BTS formation though..... I'd suggest dropping it altogether, 750 points will buy you an infantry company with hydra to guard the blitz, a second shadowsword and an artillery battery and will pump you up to ten activations

unless you don't have the models of course! I'd be interested to see how you get on with the above list

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Definitely drop the ogryns from the tank company; better off in the artillery.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You could really do with more activations, 10-12 is ideal at 3k. My last game of Epic illustrates activation differences well. I had 12 Space Marine activations at 3k to my opponent Fattdex's 7 Minervan activations (Leman Russ and Superheavies, plus Hydras, Deathstrikes and a Warhound). I got to save and deploy my important killy stuff last after he'd deployed all his army, so concentrated all far on one flank. I wiped out Deathstrikes at the start, then I hid my army and wasted low priority activations early on till he was forced to activate his tanks, mostly without targets or doing much. After he's run out of activations or come back I hit hard on one flank breaking a tank company and hydras and killing a Warhound for the loss of a Land Speeder formation and a couple of Vindicators. He failed to rally either broken formation and with only 3 formations to use next turn conceded at the end of turn one, probably my shortest game of epic ever. Bit of a digression there, but it I wanted to illustrate a good opponent can exploit activation advantage to win.

I'd say take a tank company OR an artillery company, but not both at 3k. Use 1-2 250 point batteries instead of a company too - much better. Don't put Ogryns with the Tank company, they're normally best added to a Superheavy tank or artillery company.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ogryns make good companions to SHT. They can hug tanks for cover and and heelp protect them from assault.
I'd go with 2 manticore batteries over the bassi company myself. Use them to ripple fire so every turn you're able to prep a target with plenty of BMs.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Went with this list instead:

REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra
TANK COMPANY [700]
10 Leman Russ, Hydra
SUPER-HEAVY TANK COMPANY [600]
3 Baneblade, 2 Ogryns, Hydra
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
SENTINEL SQUADRON [100]
4 Sentinels
FLAK BATTERY [150]
3 Hydra
2 Thunderbolts
2 Thunderbolts

The Leman Rus got double deep-striked by 2 lots terminators....i rolled appallingly and they were wiped out. Then I continued to roll poorly!

The one bright light was the Regimental HQ who once again proved the toughness of infantry with chimeras. I think I'll squeeze a mechanised company in there instead of the Baneblades.

Finding the small units break too easily....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Part of the trick with E:A is having a 'balanced' force designed for your strategy (sufficient activations, primary tasks for each etc), and the other part of the trick is tactics and positioning etc. Assuming the Leman Russ had survived, what were they intended to do, what were the artillery and sentinels there for?

Here it seems that you have concentrated almost entirely on mechanised forces (tanks, artillery and sentinels and even air-power) with only one supporting infantry. Effectively this means that you have a lot of "spearhead" forces that can strike at distant positions, but virtually nothing that can follow up, occupy and defend these areas. I agree that at least one more infantry company should be included to work with the Regimental HQ. These should try to stay in supporting distance of each other. To do this I would consider splitting up the super-heavy tank company.

Given that the IG are most likely to lose the strategy role, you need to adopt an initial set-up that can defend from the main deep-strike threats; Air-assault, Teleporting and Artillery. The tank forces selected are less able to deal with close assault (as you found out :)); did you try to use a screen of sentinels to hold teleporting termies at bay? They are a cheap, disposable formation that can stop the termies from close assaults (unless they are dealt with first), allowing you more time to react to the threats. You might even consider having several "battle groups" containing several formations each surrounded by a sentinel or Rough Rider screen, with particular battlefield roles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah sound advice about the sentinel screen....I had misjudged where the protection was needed.

I learnt a few lessons I guess at least. Not sure what to do about the massive number of units I have with 3 bases....feeling 4 would allow them to last longer before breaking.