Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Steel Legion Feedback

Post subject: Re: Steel Legion Feedback
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good to see those changes! I've never considered taking Hellhounds or Griffons but I'll take a look now and try them out.

Shame not to see anything done to the Baneblade though, as it's lacking compared to the other IG superheavies. Hopefully Rug can put together a playtest pdf of the list, for people to trial changes to the Baneblade and perhaps other things.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd love it if we had an actual BB test thread to try out Commissar Holt's suggestion of BB cannon to have 2x AP4+/AT3+ firepower. Rug?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Try PMing Dave and asking? He might have files you can edit from the Tournament Packs.

Open Office could work too, is functionally very similar and is free if you have trouble with the key. I'm fairly sure I've used it to make army pdfs if the past.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
Good to see those changes! I've never considered taking Hellhounds or Griffons but I'll take a look now and try them out.

Shame not to see anything done to the Baneblade though, as it's lacking compared to the other IG superheavies. Hopefully Rug can put together a playtest pdf of the list, for people to trial changes to the Baneblade and perhaps other things.

In my (limited) experience with the EpikUK version of the list charging 50pts for Griffons they are a great upgrade, consistently useful and granting some flexibility in options to formations that may usually lack them - adding them to infantry companies who are on Blitz guard is one I like, the indirect 60cm means that formation can contribute at good range, solidly into the center of the board while also remainign behind something that blocks them from pot shots and enemy fire. They are often a second go to upgrade after Hydras.

I have yet to use the hellhounds but have frequently wanted to find some way of squeezing them on to mech inf companies to help carry an engagement, making the company very aggressive. They may make a Leman Russ company engage heavy too but then you're talking 750pts!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah I would love to use hellhounds more myself, the problem is just that the steel legion list makes you deploy formations of entire companies, which makes upgrading them difficult given how expensive the formation becomes. I wish we could deploy smaller mechanised infantry platoons with hellhound upgrades. Or even just swap units, rather than add them. This could easily have been done for demolishers and hellhounds in a tank coy, and for snipers/griffons/fire support/ogryns in the infantry coys.

But alas, these are just pipe dreams, as such changes are too big for a steel legion list that is comfortingly stable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rug, did you have any success sourcing files to get a playtest version of the list drawn up?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Could we perhaps get a PDF with the changes? That would be most awesome as these changes can be overlooked very easily :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No problem!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is a somewhat lame suggestion but considering that model availability is becoming a greater and greater issue (and only going to get harder as time goes on unless the unthinkable happens and epic returns), perhaps instead of giving the Leman Russ company a free upgrade to a vanquisher, perhaps it makes sense to slightly drop the price of the formation and make vanquishers a paid upgrade? As long as the total when taken comes out with the same price it should be kosher, no? Just seems a situation where someone without a model can be penalized for no fault of their own. I just ran into this myself this last week on my current painting queue and if not for some pretty awesome TacComs peeps hooking me up, I'd be in the same situation.

I've not dug through the EpicUK stats but I'd expect that we'd be hard-pressed to find any occurrences of them not being taken (or at least a distinct tiny tiny minority of cases). Or to put it another way: I've never in all the years of playing ever thought to myself, "self, I really wish I hadn't taken this vanquisher in this company and had another standard Russ" ;D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That could be a good idea. Players with older model collections aren't going to have them either.

The list has only seen minimal testing but the Vraksian Renegades list (a renegade IG PDF) has 625 point Leman Russ Companies with +25 points to upgrade one to a Vanquisher.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

True that^^

Yeah that bit in Vraks is basically what I am thinking myself. 25 point drop on the formation, upgrade one to vanquisher for +25.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The EUK Ulani list has that option too. 6 Leman Russ/Executioner/Demolisher for 400 pts, +1 Vanquisher Command tank for 75pts, +3 more russ/exec/demo for 175pts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just wanted to give my feedback on some of the recent comments/changes to point values. I am a steel legion player with a 90% win rate (over a dozen games played with IG) vs what I would consider tough veteran opponents.
My list typically runs as a core:
Reg HQ + Hydra
Mech Infantry + Hydra
Infantry + Support
Manticores
Manticores
Hyrdas
Sentinels
Shadowsword or Deathstrikes
Thunderbolts
Warhound
Warhound

I agree with the Artillery company being downgraded in point value. I have yet to take it because of it's point cost.

I agree with the Hell Hound dropping to 100 pts but feel that the Armor should be 5+ and not 4+ (the background and fluff do not support 4+ and the the drop in points should be compensated some how).

I disagree with the Griffon Battery drop in price to 50 points for 3 Griffons. This makes them the cheapest IG unit upgrade around. They are good at shooting and become a serious force multiplier in Tank Companies (due to there ability to absorb blast markers) as well as there shooting ability. They are also very good in mechanized units and infantry units where they can dish out a lot of firepower for 50pts and are 3 models (with all that that implies for outnumbering and casualties/blast markers). I feel a better compromise would be 75pts as an add on or better yet make them there own Support Formation for 125pts (for 3 Griffons)(my preferred fix).

I fell like the Baneblade needs a boost in order to be fielded vs the other options in the list as well as it's effectiveness. I tried it twice and they did not perform and did not have a clear role that they excelled in.
I feel it's shooting and FF could use a boost (+1 FF and an upguning).

Also, agree that the Manticores are the better choice of the Artillery Batteries and a good fix would be dropping the points for 3 Basilisk and 3 Bombards by 25pts to 225pts (and also this may have to be applied (not a bad thing) to the Artillery company where you should be able to get a reduction of 25pts for each 3 Basilisks and Bombards you take (so the new proposed artillery company could be as cheap as 525 for 9 Basilisks or Bombards)

Just wanted to share my observations.

PS I think Warhounds are undercosted and should be 300pts each for all the tactical flexibility they bring to the table. This is having seen what they can do and the proliferation single Warhounds in all army lists that can take them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next