Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Steel Legion Feedback

Post subject: Re: Steel Legion Feedback
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MikeT wrote:
GlynG wrote:

With that in mind then rather than FF3+ or increasing the range I'd rather it had 2 x AP3+/AT3+ attacks for the gun, representing the sizeable explosion hitting two targets. That would be easily justified by the 40k stats.

It could definitely do with a boost; I've found it underwhelming in ny games in the rare occasion I've chosen to the take it.

that'd be my preferred change.

If a stat change was to happen I think that rather works well. However we should be wary of any wide reaching changes. In no way does a range increase make any sense.

I cannot get behind Battleship changes as they, well... to put it frank are pretty much worthless in the GT. Either we fix them across the board or leave it be.

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Parintachin wrote:
Is the artillery company really that underpowered?

Yes. It's worth more like 500pts than 600pts IMO!

I happen to concur with Ben that the arty company is poo poo. I'd say it's only worth 550-600 myself (I have a slightly better estimation of them but that's like saying I prefer to get kicked in the jolly by someone wearing shoes vs boots, mind you)

Also let's keep it friendly yall :spin

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:31 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

If I had to redo the Baneblade Battlecannon I'd give it two shots. I would disapprove, but in extremis I'd accept that change.

I'd far prefer to leave it alone.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
If I had to redo the Baneblade Battlecannon I'd give it two shots. I would disapprove, but in extremis I'd accept that change.

I'd far prefer to leave it alone.

I second that post word for word.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
I cannot get behind Battleship changes as they, well... to put it frank are pretty much worthless in the GT. Either we fix them across the board or leave it be.

It depends and I disagree. Remember the grand tournament army lists are meant to be balanced for 2-5k on a 4 by 6 table. I wouldn't bother much with a Battleship at 2-3k but at 4-5k with the greater density of troops might make it a reasonable choice for 150. Epic-UK have dropped the costs of the poor slow and steady and ork spacecraft, but we haven't. Others could be changed in time if appropriate but that'd br different discussions up to individual army champions

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MikeT wrote:
GlynG wrote:

With that in mind then rather than FF3+ or increasing the range I'd rather it had 2 x AP3+/AT3+ attacks for the gun, representing the sizeable explosion hitting two targets. That would be easily justified by the 40k stats.

It could definitely do with a boost; I've found it underwhelming in ny games in the rare occasion I've chosen to the take it.

that'd be my preferred change.

+1

In the big picture I'd call this a small change, even though it effects several lists. I find the current battlecannon stats a bad translation from a fluff and also a 40k comparsion point of view.

Last edited by Borka on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

TBH the EUK changes have still been unappealing, indicating they may well still be overpriced, if anything.

They could be put back to their original prices and made independent formations. *shrug*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:33 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

My big beef with using 40k as a base is that it's really badly scaled when you start to look at really big stuff which is not widely deployed in the usual skirmish-style games of 40k.....it also changes every 5 years or so (there is no way to justify the nigh-invulnerability of NetEA living metal by the current 40k rules for example)

I suggest that people start thinking of game balance first, and accurate representation of 40k rules a distant second..... if you love 40k so much, go and play it.... ;)

I support giving the baneblade 2 shots and also upping the lascannons to twin linked, and intend on testing these modifications out on thursday.....

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rug wrote:
Hellhound, Griffon & Leman Russ upgrades to go down another 25pts.... despite my concerns they're not being abuse in the EUK list where they're cheaper.

Artillery Company, down 50pts to 600pts

Emperor Battleship to 150pts, I've played this for ages now but still prefer the Lunar most of the time!

The upgrades stated and the artillery at 600 points haven't caused any problems (or abuse) in the E-UK lists.
Also the Emperor Battleship has been dropped to 200 points in the E-UK list, at 150 it would be a straight choice between that and the Lunar (if a Spaceship was to be taken), looking at the stats and the slow and steady rule I think it would be worth trying at 150.

Quote:
The Baneblade is still sub par IMO, I'd like to extend the range of the Baneblade Battlecannon to 90cms, apart from being a boost it'll improve the synergy of mixed Baneblade-Shadowsword formations.

Not keen on the 90cm upgrade, for me the 2 SH tanks fill different roles and the Shadowswords popularity is (for me) more to do with it filling a roll only it can do at the points.
The BB comes into it's own (compared to the Shadowsword and as singletons) in later turns when the 2 armies have closed and the BB can take more advantage of it's many guns but other formations can do a similar job for the SL and usually have multiple rolls.
A few examples,
Stormtroopers= similar shots but easier to kill, gain numbers and garrison.
Infantry Co.= similar shots but easier to kill, gain numbers and garrison and open support slots.
Even a hydra battery gives similar number of shots and adds AA coverage.

I feel the main problem for the BB is that it doesn't add anything extra to the list, thats not covered by other formations, rather than it not being worth it's points.
When facing SL, especially with Marines or Eldar, I fear the BB much more than the Shadowsword after turn 1.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm in broad agreement with Dave on the Baneblade.

If anything, a FF upgrade would be ok, but I don't think it nessesarily needs it, and it doesn't need its minor weapons going non-WYSIWYG at all.

A really serious upgrade would be to give the Baneblade's main cannon MW status, which is probably justified from the background & 40k, but we'd need serious evidence that it's underpowered.

Last edited by Evil and Chaos on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

As far as I'm aware, the Epic UK tournament results lists are the only real authorative source for stats, so I wnet and compiled some quick stats for BaneBlade usage in Steel Legion lists in the last 3 years:

Of the 43 Steel Legion lists used, 30 had one or more Super Heavy tank. Of that 30, only 8 had one or more BaneBlades (meaning the other 22 used only ShadowSwords).

Over the three years, average Win/Loss/Draw stats for Steel Legion was:

35.6%/34.9%/29.5%

The same stats for just the 8 lists using BaneBlades was:

26.6%/53.4%/20%

On average, lists using BaneBlades won less and lost a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I cannot see any of the proposed changes making the BB a truly viable choice.

Adding extra range,MW or 2 shots.
This won't have much benefit on most tables with appropriate terrain, other than the odd pot shot on turn 1 the BB still needs to get close to make full use of it's 200 point cost. Even in a SH Company, 3 Shadowswords hitting on a base MW2+ with TK d3 is going to be better than 1xMW2+ TKd3 and 2(or4)x AP/AT 3+( or even MW3+, which also then steps on the toes of the stormblade in other lists).

FF 3+.
Steps on the stormhammers toes in other lists, also would it give it a roll in the list that isn't covered already or will the extra 1/2 a hit in FF make it a viable choice.

All of the suggestions made so far improve the BB but would any of them make the BB a viable choice for the roll it has if it is not already being taken. I suppose testing some of the suggestions will show if it does make it a better choice or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rug wrote:
lets limit ourselves to points and stats (in that order).

Matt, have you considered dropping the points cost of the BB, would that even be a consideration or make it any more viable as a choice.

Suggestion of what I mean,
Single BB at 175 (25 points to upgrade to a Shadowsword).
Company of BB's at 450 or 425 (25 points to upgrade each BB to a shadowsword).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next