Login |  Register |  FAQ

Who can I add a commissar character to?

Post subject: Re: Who can I add a commissar character to?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:52 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

You may add him to any stand at all. With recards to the supreme commander, I personally prefer to have a Fearless SC rather than two leaders.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That is pretty much is applicable to most characters as well. Want a Librarian Dred? Why not? Commissars in your Baneblades? You betcha! etc etc

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I painted up some of the commissar figures to be just officers on some command stands ... Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

From a background perspective Commissars should be placed in the stand with the commander and supreme as they're meant to watch over them (and are attached to their 5 man unit in 40k).

The Epic list doesn't require this (the only stipulation is that one Commissar must be added to the Regimental HQ formation) and from a tactical perspective you're probably slightly better off having them in a separate stand so it's not all eggs in one basket. The Supreme is different – some people like having two leaders, but many will want to make him fearless to keep him alive, as if the formation breaks he is immune to being killed by hackdown hits or blast markers.

If I field singleton Superheavy tanks I try to upgrade them with a Commissar, as if they break and rally they will clear all their blast markers rather than having one left and that makes a big difference. A Commissar Shadowsword is pretty appropriate too – gives him the big gun to keep the tanks in the army in line should they think of cowardice.

People who take a Superheavy Tank Company of 3 or an Artillery Company often upgrade them with attached Ogryns, as otherwise the formation is vulnerable in CC and it will often be your BTS so likely to be assaulted as a high priority target. Having the Commissar in the Ogryn stand makes him quite survivable with the 3+ save and helps him make use of his CC attack with the good CC value.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GlynG wrote:
People who take a Superheavy Tank Company of 3 or an Artillery Company often upgrade them with attached Ogryns, as otherwise the formation is vulnerable in CC and it will often be your BTS so likely to be assaulted as a high priority target. Having the Commissar in the Ogryn stand makes him quite survivable with the 3+ save and helps him make use of his CC attack with the good CC value.

Yeah but then you can't scream this out loud in an assault! ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Remember your first commissar has to join the Reg HQ (if there is one) there is no compulsion to put him on the SC stand though...

In a super heavy company I would never put him in attached ogryns, a single MW4+ attack over a MW6+ is pretty negligible, I'd much rather him have 4+ RA and 3DC!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

ogryns added to SHT companies aren't as vulnerable as you can hide them behind the tanks and keep them out of LOS for shooting purposes

You're dead on the money with arty companies, two manticore batteries put out an extra template and can target stuff separately, they also need to be targeted separately (although they break when you look at them sternly) and are cheaper

quite telling is the fact that they're not widely used (at least in UK tournaments anyway)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rastamann wrote:
And you use them as officers or commissars? By the way, I really like the standards on your command stands!

The Cmd stand on the left has a commissar figure as an officer ... the stand on the right is Commissars ... Image And here is Commissar Gaunt leading the 1st Tanith "Gaunt's Ghosts" - Image And of course Commissar Yarrick - Image "All ist Klar Herr Commissar ! " ;D