Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Cadian Shock Troops v1.4

Post subject: Re: Cadian Shock Troops v1.4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

uvenlord wrote:
On the infantry it might be GW:s usual fluff increase where everybody is the galaxys greatest fighter that made me think the Cadians needed a boost :)

Ask yourself: are regular Cadians better than veteran guardsmen of other regiments?

Because the 'veteran guardsman' is not a choice at all in lists like Steel Legion (Storm Troopers not being just veterans). So is the difference in skill between a a cadian regular and a steel legion guardsmen greater than the difference between a steel legion regular and a steel legion veteran?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd say the training and abilities of Cadians is less represented in the individual unit stats but the list structure itself e.g. individual support formations vs upgrades for units such as say Hellhounds.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll leave the infantry for now. Scutarii have a really good point and as I said before everyone in the WH40k universe is fighting trolls or something in a distant cave at the age of 9 or 10... :)

Looking through the Leviathan stats in the squat list. They have Lascannons at range 30cm and a somewhat different critical hit and lack the firefight special rule... I kind of like the idea of infantry firefighting from the plattform so I'll keep that and I think the current critical hit is simpler and lascannons should be 45cm. Looks like I only is going to boost the Leviathan so perhaps I'll pop the points to at least 600. (It will get 2 more shields and some better range with the cannon.)
I will also add a Baneblade Company to encourage people to field them. And I will probably take away the Snipers as they are Ratlings in my head so should not be used in the list as we have taken away the Ogryns because of their not so friendly xenos attitude.

I didn't want to change too much in this list and now I'm changing several units, will think this over before publishing a new version :)

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

uvenlord wrote:
I'll leave the infantry for now. Scutarii have a really good point and as I said before everyone in the WH40k universe is fighting trolls or something in a distant cave at the age of 9 or 10... :)

that is AWESOME :)

Cadians are quite adept at using snipers (I'll share my copy of the 13th black crusade-best Cadian fluff made, lotsa background). Remove them for balance: Sure thing! Removing them because a 20 year out of print model: Not so much! ;)
I'd take a fresh look at the Cadian model line from FW again. This is what a sniper is in this list=>
Attachment:
img46799d709786c.jpg
img46799d709786c.jpg [ 47.64 KiB | Viewed 4401 times ]

The list already has lots of stuff so I'm not opposed to pruning, especially with baneblades being added. The lord uven giveth and taketh away, after all :).

I'd find it interesting as a kaserkrin upgrade, perhaps? We've talked about how to make them not just stormtroopers by another name.

My 2cents

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Surely it's only been a year or so since the imperial guard sprue with the small snipers been out of print but I get your point.
When did WH40K kill the Ratlings? just searched for them in the latest codex and they were gone :( , never play that game anymore but all the good memories... ;)

The real motive was a mix of fluff, to many goodies added and none taken away and the fact that no one seems to take the sniper upgrade...

But I'm not sure about all of the latest additions/removings suggestions I made. Just sure about the 10cm move on the ordinatus and about my intention to have a similar Leviathan (but not with 30 cm lascannons)
If I leave the snipers as they are they can be added to kasrkin so...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahhh understandable mistake. I was meaning the old 40k figures when abhumans were abundant and GrimDark tm wasn't so serious. But now I think of it, there was a dubious resurrection of them back in 3rd edition if my old age isn't getting to me. Did the 4th edition infantry company box actually come with the ratlings even ?

Good calls on the ordinatys and leviathan, by the way! Any plans around the colossus?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with Jimmy I can't see any fluff reasons for taking away the sniper upgrade since they don't actually need to be ratlings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Small changes to stats and tried to add a Baneblade company...
The Leviathan will probably need to be changed to 600 points or something but I'll leave it for now. Not sure about the stats, will try this for a while. Then if it feels right I will start a new thread and stop changing stuff :)

Attachment:
CADIAN SHOCK TROOPS ARMY LIST v1.52.pdf [376.87 KiB]
Downloaded 374 times

(The hairy children with big rifles is still there)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is there a reason there is no Vultures in the Cadian list?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Krigsminister wrote:
Not sure of the original reason but when you add stuff it's good to take away stuff to keep balance and make the army a little more different from the others.
Do you think they should be in this list? Personally I think it fits the theme that they are not.

Had some games with this army at a tournament yesterday and it feels good, a little bit slow but that is supposed to be the "flavour" :)

Will probably revert back to the old stats on the Leviathan as I don't want to go all the way and copy the Squat one. Will also take away the newly added Baneblades due to input from the other players. (None would take them and they didn't add anything to the list basically)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

uvenlord wrote:
Krigsminister wrote:
Not sure of the original reason but when you add stuff it's good to take away stuff to keep balance and make the army a little more different from the others.
Do you think they should be in this list? Personally I think it fits the theme that they are not.

They're usually associated with Valkyries, which are in the list. And I vaguely remember reading that they played a role in the defense of Cadia during the 13th Black Crusade. That doesn't justify their inclusion, it just raises expectations that they'll be present.

But the list might need the AT (even if it's one-shot), especially if Baneblades are out. It makes some sense for an infantry list to get its AT from "helicopters" rather than tanks, if that's what the Cadian list is meant to be. (Which might not be the case, since that would seem to overlap with a couple other IG lists. What's the theme behind Cadia?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

carlisimo109 wrote:
What's the theme behind Cadia?)
This specific list has a War Engine and Infantry theme.
Cadia in general has a infantry based theme in my mind.

Won't be putting Vultures in there because of lack of AT. There is a bunch of good units that can deal with tanks in the list already.
(the Baneblade will stay but probably not the "new" Baneblade company)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just feel that with Valkyries there also should be Vultures as well. They are close to each other and i would think the Cadian army suppliers it would be easy to get both, and use the same spare parts when they need repairs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Krigsminister wrote:
I just feel that with Valkyries there also should be Vultures as well. They are close to each other and i would think the Cadian army suppliers it would be easy to get both, and use the same spare parts when they need repairs.
Sure, but the reason they are out is not so much about fluff more about the theme. I see no real fluff reason why the Cadians can't field (almost) any type of IG tank or equipment but then this list would be very similar to the Steel legion...and then we do not need it.
But I'm open to suggestions if more people want them in. Perhaps we could let them replace the artillery or something but I rather keep the list as it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm with Uvenlord on this one, stay the course. (though I admit your Arty free concept is interesting)

BTW, what does this mean=>
"(the Baneblade will stay but probably not the "new" Baneblade company)"

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next