Login |  Register |  FAQ

Mirali Skyraiders v1.0

Post subject: Re: Mirali Skyraiders v1.0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spacecraft rules could well represent an offboard arty barrage without recourse to special rules.
Could make some new stats based on more gun battery-biased BFG ships to give a bigger barrage than the normal Lunar/Emperor choice, at the cost of the pin-point strikes, if desired.

Also, you could allow the list to have some proper medium/heavy air transportable arty choices, ala:
http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/sling ... Master.jpg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One spaceship per army. Pre plotted only and declared turn. Not really the feel of Division level artillery I'd like to depict. Spaceship is a preparatory bombardment, and it does fill that niche very well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Not really the feel of Division level artillery I'd like to depict

True, I'm just noting that it's an option oft overlooked (due to historically poor pricing on IG spaceships).

Quote:
Spaceship is a preparatory bombardment, and it does fill that niche very well.

Well it can be used at any point on any turn of course, but I get your drift that it's not very responsive.

Another option: You could just put in Basilisks, Manticores, etc. The stretchy ground scale of Epic means the deployment zones are meant to be tens of kilometres apart after all. (Edit: pipped by Rug)

I do think it'd be most cool to see an Epic mashup between a Valkyrie and a LV arty gun (ala a Krieg or Baran gun) though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's definitely an issues that the lists are build around companies then played on a division scale battlefield.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

[spitball mode]

Most people tend to use the 'tournament' set up or often even less terrain that results in a very open looking battlefield, which is contrary to the theme of this list.

How about giving the Mirali list some special rule about the terrain set up itself, modifying the terrain in some part of the table. Some very "off the cuff" ideas:-
  • Dense Terrain
    All the table that is not covered in terrain counts as woods, while "Woods" count as 'Jungle' (see below). All built up areas need to be mounted on bases to distinguish them from the surrounding woods.
    This rule could be applied
      a) to the entire table.
      b) to the table outside the enemy deployment zone.
      c) to the Mirali table half.
    If this approach is adopted, there must be a reasonable amount of roads and tracks for vehicular movement, perhaps as much as 6" - 12" per sq ft of 'dense terrain' (eg 6 - 12 feet or 180cm-360cm of roads / tracks in each table half).

Also, units on hills can see units on other hills over the top of the tree-tops.

• 'Jungle'
    This represents realy dense and / or steeply ridged terrain that halves infantry, walker and mounted movement, and is impassable to wheeled or tracked vehicles. It also provides a 4+ cover save and restricts visibility to 5 cm.

• 'Reduced front-line'
    When playing the Miralli, the game is played across the short edges.
    If this is used, roads are needed to improve the distance formations can move and any 'jungle' or woods rule (above) should be restricted to the Mirali table-half.

I am sure there are others suggestions that could be used. And doing this should also help concentrate the theme of the list appropriately.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:14 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

A few ideas I've though about today:

Special Rule - LZ Is Hot!: Mirali forces are often required to fly nap-of-the-earth in order to reach heavily held LZs, flying just above or in some cases even below the treeline. However, this and the everpresent danger of encountering unexpected forces means they tend to fly in closer formation than other Air Cavalry. Mirali Valkyries, Vendettas, Vultures, and Vulture Punishers lose Scout. However, Mirali Valkyries, Vendettas, Vultures, Vulture Punishers, and Vulture Slicks gain Planetfall.

I'm thinking of moving the Supreme Commander to a Firebase Defense Company and making both types core companies in order to incentivise creating a firebase.

I'll also either be making the support ratio 2:1, or splitting the list so Air Cav unlock one set of supports and Firebase unlock another. Not sure yet.

I don't want to do a flying base, but I do have an alternative idea:

Special Rule - Forward Operating Base: Mirali forces make extensive use of FOBs, from clearings made by specially designed bombs to prefabricated landing pads. Replace one of the objectives on your side of the board with an FOB. You may Planetfall from this objective in the same way as if a spacecraft were present. You must plan your Planetfall exactly as described in 4.3.1 "Planning Spacecraft Operations", EA p53. If your opponent controls this objective on the turn you have declared, you must wait until you either contest or control the FOB at the beginning of the turn in order to use Planetfall. Note that if your Planetfall is delayed in this way you still may not Planetfall the turn another spacecraft is scheduled to arrive.

Design Note - the FOB is a spacecraft for all intents an purposes except it is present on the board and may not 'arrive' on a turn the enemy controls it, in which case it waits to 'arrive' until the enemy does not control it and no spacecraft are present. Wording suggestions appreciated. :P

Still trying to figure out the artillery, though it may get incorporated into the FOB rules.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like Ginger's idea of the list having special rule(s) making the terrain appropriately jungly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:22 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

GlynG wrote:
I like Ginger's idea of the list having special rule(s) making the terrain appropriately jungly.

I like them too. I'll think about how to add something like them in - perhaps in an appendix to the list. They'd be utterly impossible to balance for tournament play, but great fun for freindly play.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys. Note, the thoughts on having half the table covered in jungle were intended to be 'relatively' balanced for tournament play - though likely to be prone to draws - as each side should do well in their own table half but less well in their opponents half.