Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Cadian Shock Troops v1.3

Post subject: Re: Cadian Shock Troops v1.3
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any word if the Crassus is going to be added to the Cadians ala IA11

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd leave it to another list that could focus on the DC2 heavy tanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

It has been discussed, either in open forum or PM with... someone, I can't remember who. The resolution was that in an intentionally infantry-centric list two three WE transports was just too much.

I think there is room for a superheavy version of the Steel Legion (that is to say, Mech Inf in Crassus, etc), but not in this list.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks SG. I also saw your super heavy thread which sounds like a good place to play around with this in.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:16 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

So I had a block of time to think about this tonight, and here are my conclusions. Really my feeling is that this list needs very little work before I submit it to Rug for potential submission to the ERC. So without further ado here are my thought to *potential* changes.

Potential Cadian v1.4 changes:

Change initiative wording from "Titan Legion Allies which have an Initiative of 1+" to "Reaver and Warlord Titans which have an Initiative of 1+"
Griffon Platoon: possibly +25pt
Fortified Positions: Remove

Need additional playtesting:

Marauder Colossus
Ordinatus Cadia

Need discussion:

Firing Platforms (Stormlord and Leviathan)

The change to the wording in the initiative section is just a clarification, and will be going in.

Griffon Platoons have quickly become one of my favorite formations in the list due to their effectiveness; Sustaining at 60cm or going with the "in your face" move and fire from 30cm with two templates both have proven very effective provided there are other greater threats as close or closer. They are fairly fragile if they come under fire but their speed and cost largely make up for this. I would probably still take them at 225pt - would others?

Fortified Positions: Frankly, I'm not sure what to do about these. They provide protection for infantry whose only other option would be expensive WE Transports. On the other hand, it's nothing setting up in woods or ruins wouldn't provide. I'd like to hear comments on whether players feel it is a) an appropriate option (per fluff), and b) a neccessary option (per gameplay).

Units I feel need more playtesting:

The Colossus and Ordinatus Cadia simply haven't been used enough for me to get a feel for their effectiveness. The Ordinatus is less of a concern than the Colossus. I've yet to see whether the unit is way to expensive, way too cheap, or (most likely IMO) conditionally one of the two. I'd also like to get some feed back on the Colossus Bomb rules - specifically how easy it is to game the "closest to center" requirement on the TK attack. I'm coming around to the idea it might be easier to change it to "under the template", but would like to hear other's opinions on the matter.

Finally there are the Firing Platforms. I think they help to represent the Stormlord in particular very well. The Leviathan was more a nod to the specific model I'm using, but also helps to represent the close-in defenses the Leviathan has. I would say they could also be useful for other things, like an Epic version of the Planetstrike Bastions from 40k. However, I'm very aware that this could well become the first NetEA Approved list with a Leviathan, and am leery of (potentially at least) tying others down to using that special rule. So, the questions I have regarding Firing Platforms are a) Do you feel they represent the background accurately? b) Do you feel the implementation is balanced? and c) Is this a rule you feel could be carried over to other lists if required or appropriate?

Finally, are there any other outstanding issues with the list?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

Marauder Colossus
Ordinatus Cadia

Agreed.
I've almost finished painting my Ordinatus Cadia.

Quote:
Need discussion:

I've used these extensively in almost every Cadian game I've played. I think they're fine.

Quote:
Griffon Platoons have quickly become one of my favorite formations in the list due to their effectiveness; Sustaining at 60cm or going with the "in your face" move and fire from 30cm with two templates both have proven very effective provided there are other greater threats as close or closer. They are fairly fragile if they come under fire but their speed and cost largely make up for this. I would probably still take them at 225pt - would others?

I would. No objection.

Quote:
Fortified Positions: Frankly, I'm not sure what to do about these. They provide protection for infantry whose only other option would be expensive WE Transports. On the other hand, it's nothing setting up in woods or ruins wouldn't provide. I'd like to hear comments on whether players feel it is a) an appropriate option (per fluff), and b) a neccessary option (per gameplay).

A - It's appropriate to the background as an option Cadians would probably have
B - I've not had the desire to use them

Quote:

With such an expense necessary to get a Reg HQ (realistically, you have to add a Stormlord to be a deathstrike catcher), I don't think I'll ever be be able to justify the points cost of taking a Reaver or Warlord without first dropping the Reg HQ.

Starting to think that Warhounds could be made available to the list without compromising the theme.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:21 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

With such an expense necessary to get a Reg HQ (realistically, you have to add a Stormlord to be a deathstrike catcher), I don't think I'll ever be be able to justify the points cost of taking a Reaver or Warlord without first dropping the Reg HQ.

Starting to think that Warhounds could be made available to the list without compromising the theme.

What do others think about this? I personally dislike the idea, but more because I think Warhounds too often become no-brainers to include and enjoy not having them. However, I understand E&C's concern that Battle Titans are very expensive, as is the RHQ. An RHQ and a Battle Titan would take a 40% of a 3k list at a minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Umm, is this just a problem at 3K, or does it apply to the list up to 5K?

Don't forget that it is Ok and potentially even desirable to have some formations that are not viable at 3K, provided they are not essential for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My opinion would be that the Leviathan is 0-1. I don't think it should be compulsory, just very commonly fielded in this list. Keep the WH's out for flavor IMO, Battle titans should then be more manageable (BTS bullet magnets then as well). Could have a destabilizing effect on the list that I can't see at first as I haven't played this one as much as I have SL.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
So I had a block of time to think about this tonight, and here are my conclusions. Really my feeling is that this list needs very little work before I submit it to Rug for potential submission to the ERC. So without further ado here are my thought to *potential* changes.

Potential Cadian v1.4 changes:

Change initiative wording from "Titan Legion Allies which have an Initiative of 1+" to "Reaver and Warlord Titans which have an Initiative of 1+"
Griffon Platoon: possibly +25pt
Fortified Positions: Remove

Marauder Colossus
Ordinatus Cadia

Need discussion:

The change to the wording in the initiative section is just a clarification, and will be going in.

Units I feel need more playtesting:

The Colossus and Ordinatus Cadia simply haven't been used enough for me to get a feel for their effectiveness. The Ordinatus is less of a concern than the Colossus. I've yet to see whether the unit is way to expensive, way too cheap, or (most likely IMO) conditionally one of the two. I'd also like to get some feed back on the Colossus Bomb rules - specifically how easy it is to game the "closest to center" requirement on the TK attack. I'm coming around to the idea it might be easier to change it to "under the template", but would like to hear other's opinions on the matter.

Finally there are the Firing Platforms. I think they help to represent the Stormlord in particular very well. The Leviathan was more a nod to the specific model I'm using, but also helps to represent the close-in defenses the Leviathan has. I would say they could also be useful for other things, like an Epic version of the Planetstrike Bastions from 40k. However, I'm very aware that this could well become the first NetEA Approved list with a Leviathan, and am leery of (potentially at least) tying others down to using that special rule. So, the questions I have regarding Firing Platforms are a) Do you feel they represent the background accurately? b) Do you feel the implementation is balanced? and c) Is this a rule you feel could be carried over to other lists if required or appropriate?

I am really enthusiastic about this list. It really looks good, so much so that I am planning on building one as an extension to my Steel legion.

I do have several questions though:

- Why is the Leman Russ Squadron so cheap? 300 points for 6 LR is a whole 100 points less than for Minervans and DKoK. I agree that the Reg HQ is expensive, but the opther Cadian formations dont seem to be so discounted. Did I miss something?

- I have to admit that I do not understand how the Colossus Works... The wording baffles me...

- Fortifications do fit in the strategies I would think about in the list. The list has enough IC units to not be afraid of the opponent benfitting from them, and the Artillery + Sabres greatly benefit from Gun emplacements. I would use them I think.

- The Ordinatus seems weak for its point value. It brings more MW, but the Plasma Destructor stats seems rather weak. I understand it is linked to the AMTL list, but then perhaps the point value should go down?

- I do not quite get why the list cannot field Ogryns. I have not picked up a WH40K army book in a long time, but are there no more Ogryns in Cadian Regiments?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

As far as the Tank Platoon goes, I can't believe I missed that. It's a typo in the compendium. The correct cost is 400pt, as in the PDF in the OP. Off to make a note of it to Dave...

The Colossus Bomb has what I refer to as a tandem (as opposed to dual) statline. Basilisks have a dual statline - they have two distinct firing modes that can be used in an either/or fashion. The Colossus, however, uses both statlines simuntaneously, it fires a barrage, then the unit closest to the center of the barrage takes the TK shot. The wording is largely to prevent the shots being used alternately: the barrage one turn and the TK the next while the barrage reloads.

Ogryns are left out because while Cadians are recorded as using them, they are largely distrusted (as are all abhumans) due to the proximity of the eye of terror and the potential for corruption. Thus they are not a standard part of the Cadian toolbox. Also, with the quantities of CC-capable troops a Cadian force can deploy, they are simply unneccessary.

The Ordinatus is drawn directly from the ATML lists, and may indeed require points adjustments. It's not seen the playtesting yet for me to make a judgement on that though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Spectrar Ghost wrote:

The Colossus Bomb has what I refer to as a tandem (as opposed to dual) statline. Basilisks have a dual statline - they have two distinct firing modes that can be used in an either/or fashion. The Colossus, however, uses both statlines simuntaneously, it fires a barrage, then the unit closest to the center of the barrage takes the TK shot. The wording is largely to prevent the shots being used alternately: the barrage one turn and the TK the next while the barrage reloads..

Why not use the dual stat-line and state in the notes that slow firing applies to the gun, whichever round it shoots? Because tbh I still don't understand how it will affect a WE hit in the middle? DC/2 hits + TK, DC/2 hits or TK?

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Ogryns are left out because while Cadians are recorded as using them, they are largely distrusted (as are all abhumans) due to the proximity of the eye of terror and the potential for corruption. Thus they are not a standard part of the Cadian toolbox. Also, with the quantities of CC-capable troops a Cadian force can deploy, they are simply unneccessary.

The list does show snipers. TBH I have no issue with the design choice, but it's not like Ogryns are often picked, and I must admit I thought of an use for them in the Reg HQ here, supporting the Kaskrins.

Also the list in the compendium mentions Core units twice, both on the Core section and the Support section.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:38 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

The Snipers are assumed to be these, not Ratlings:

With a War Engine under the centre hole of the Collossus template, you would get DC/2 hits and the TK shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next