Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tactica: Armored Regiments

Post subject: Re: Tactica: Armored Regiments
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you! I'll go paint some tanks now.

- Lieutenant General Michael O'Neal

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:32 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Moved, so the ball's in your court. :)

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

worth putting that idea from the Ogryn thread that they attach quite well to SHTs?

they can hide from being shot at and provide decent bodyguards from a fast moving assault enemy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

This is well over a year old now. I'll look into revisions and/or accompaniments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow - as someone who has delved into IG for the first time this is gold, mate. Big ups on the effort and thanks for other gamers' useful replies.
Things like the setup of Sentinels to protect arty, the different roles of armored formations and the general overview of the list is priceless. Wish I'd read this before my recent outing with Guard, but you live you learn, I guess.
And they ARE Guard after all...plenty where the dead ones came from!
Thanks again for the enlightening contribution.
:spin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I really ought to make a proper pdf of this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rastamann wrote:
I might be persuaded to include some pretty pictures, if someone wants to

want to finish off that thought, mate? ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:21 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Use anything from here if you want. Or for that matter any of the other albums.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good list. Although I will mixed Basilisks and Manticores together in the same artillery company, ex. One company of 9 Basilisks with an attached Manticore platoon of 3 vehicles, since according to the epic armageddon rules, you lose a turn each time you fire the rockets on a Manticore since you have to ripple fire them all in the same turn; you show this by turning the front end of the vehicle towards you after each turn. The rule also states that since the manticores have a slow reload time that require one turn to reload all the rockets, hence the lose a turn rule.. So, if you took all manticores as your heavy artillery support, you leave yourself open without artillery support. Whereas, the Basilisk does not suffer from this same problem. So, you can fire them on every turn. Since I like a lot of guns in my army, I attach a platoon of griffons to a combined arm battlion, ex. 2 mechanized infantry companies and 2 tank companies. I also have a engineer company/sapper company for close support with a platoon of demolishers for close support and a platoon of bombards for close range artillery support since both of those are better at taking out fortications. Of course, I would also attached a platoon of four sentinels for screens and for security so I don't get ambush especially for my headquarter units. Of course, I would have at least one Superheavy Tank Company attached to the Armored Regiment as well one Superheavy Tank attached to each of my tank companies. I am somewhat influenced by the Germans attaching Tiger tanks to their tank companies and divisions as a spearhead unit with the Tiger forming the center of a spear; the lighter tanks are the two wedges of the spear. According to the points and the rules, the Superheavy tanks seemed to be employed the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes. Ok. Thanks.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bit of a necro but this is still such a good article and a star component of the internet's sparse Epic tacticas - thanks so much, Spectrar Ghost!

One thing I think is missing is a discussion of Warhounds. These are a big boon to the army in my opinion, as they are to most Guard armies, because of their 1+ initiative. They often move to the midboard quickly with their high speed, delete or break a formation with their guns, soak a bunch of fire, and then trigger an engage in turn 2. It can be difficult for guard to execute the 1-2 of positioning a unit with strong FF in range and then retaining to engage, and Warhounds let a list like Minervans reap the benefits of unique units like 6 Demolishers, 2-3 Baneblades or especially, with their 30cm move, 6 Hellhounds.

Another thing to be discussed is the utility of Conquerer units. A 4+ RA hull with 30cm move is quite unique and offers some very interesting tactical options, from a lategame charge at the blitz that's far more resilient than most other options for it, to the opportunity to offset a weak 5+/5+ gun by setting up a 90º crossfire.

I also have some hot takes on Russes vs. Superheavies and the composition of the latter in Companies. So far I've found I basically never want to run regular Russes for two reasons. Firstly, the unit is much weaker to being suppressed and broken, particularly by enemy Manticores. Even just 6 Russes is probably more hits than you can get trying to put 2-3 templates over a unit of SHTs when you can't centre any easily but the first one (which takes only minimal positioning to achieve.) Each BM suppresses a model whereas it takes 3 to suppress a single SHT. Secondly, the 4+/4+ gun means the units' firepower is significantly reduced by doubling, whereas the relatively high FF encourages you to close, making the long range cannon less useful. In contrast, a Baneblade now gets two shots at 75cm that hit on a 4+/4+ even when doubling. You can cover 30cm in turn 1 while shooting and then set up to fire all your secondary weapons in t2 and ideally support an engage as well.

If not Baneblades, I would rather run Demolishers, which exchange less useful range for very valuable IC (less effected by doubling against infantry) and two additional AT shots in the form of Plasma Cannon sponsons.

I also think the traditional wisdom of running separate Baneblade and Shadowsword companies should be challenged. A single Volcano Cannon shot will do 2 damage to an enemy SHT on average, and two Shadowswords will do 4 which means the second one is often "wasted" compared to a single successful regular AT hit (without TK d3), and then the third one is unlikely to kill another outright or break the unit by itself. A unit of one Shadowsword and two Baneblades is almost as likely to kill a single enemy SHT without wasted overkill and gives you a much more dynamic company capable of contesting the midboard while still dealing formidable AT/MW damage even when doubling.

It's sad to say but I think the other SHT variants are quite bad, especially the Stormsword which would otherwise be my favourite. The fundamental problem is that its short range and FF value encourages you to double it up the board turn 1, making its cannon very unlikely to hit, and then any maneuvering after that makes it only hit on a 4+ at best. You sacrifice the points value of that turn 1 fire and I don't think the templates often touch enough models to compensate for the need to sustain fire for a decent hit roll. The Stormhammer is now totally outclassed by the Baneblade getting 2 shots on its main gun (despite having half the barrels available) and the Stormblade is neutered turn 2 by slow fire or only gets to shoot once all game if it spends t1 getting into range.

In my mind the main challenge with Armoured Regiments is that games of Epic are often won (in my experience) by engagements, and as guardsmen these armies lack both a reliable initiative for retain and a strong standalone CC unit. I generally try to organize my list around a Warhound triggering an engagement adjacent to a Small Tank Company of Demolishers, a Hellhound Platoon or a Superheavy Company (the Hammer) and an infantry unit holding midboard objectives with one of the aforementioned in support (the Anvil.) A Mechanized Infantry Co. or Stormtrooper unit in Chimeras offers 12-15 bases to give you a far better chance of outnumbering a given attacking formation 2-1. Planning for an engage also lets you effectively "shoot twice" with expensive units like SHTs or Demolishers, which I think is important for counteracting the cost of those units vs. other armies comparable formations.