Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

True Steel Legion

Post subject: True Steel Legion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
The SG Armageddon Pattern Basilisks even look like Salamanders with enclosed cabines :D
If you look at the FW WH40k sized Armageddon Pattern Basilisk you will see that the cabine covers half the tracks on each side and elongates the rear of the tank.
The SG Basilisks cabine ends where the tracks begin.

One day if i'm bold enough i will put out my green-stuff and try to give my Basilisk proper sized cabines...:D

So for the Defender?:
c) SG Armageddon Pattern Basilisk. Lower the gun so that it is mounted horizontally. Perhabs make it a bit shorter and/or remove the "searchlight" from it. Voil?! Chimera Defender :)

Would look something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashorn

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, only problem after analysis of the options (playing with my toy tanks) is that it looks like a bassie firing direct. Yes also a bit like a Nashorn.

So cut off the turret and reverse it? (image below - sorry for poor quality, good camera missing). Doesn't look very fast though.

Maybe a salamander can be made into a stug? How to make something like the Archer?

Perhaps IG month could have a Defender competition (prize one of my warlords or something), how many people have ideas?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(The_Real_Chris @ Jun. 06 2008,04:28)
how many people have ideas?

One here :)  :devil:
Trouble is I don't have the bits for the easy way out.  :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Chimera without turret and Laser Destroyer instead of Heavy Bolter would look like a Sturmgesch?tz III.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The thing that looks most like a PZ3/4 chassis I reckon is a ragnorok- perhaps that may make a better Stug?

Also the FW basilisk chassis is basically what I make my Marder from..  Im sure a good TD could be build up from that- probably even a good rear facing one.  The problem with the 40k universe is the totally outscale guns.  

What I did was place a plasticard shield in the bay of the chimera and build a gun out of an old banecannon matched with a mole mortar.  

Actually- thats a point.  Mole mortars can make very reasonable TOW launchers:  Heres some examples from an army thats with Zapp now.  Look at the middle row of rhinos:

THat on a trojan or in the place of a salamander gun would look good

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Imho the Defender is based on the Chimera chassis and uses the same gun as the Leman Russ Destroyer Tank-hunter.
If we follow the design principle of the LE Destroyer TH then the turretless Chimera with Laser Destroyer instead og Heavy Bolter is the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think Black Legion is correct, you should follow the design aesthetic of the Leman Russ Destroyer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(BlackLegion @ Jun. 06 2008,10:33)
Chimera without turret and Laser Destroyer instead of Heavy Bolter would look like a Sturmgesch?tz III.

It really doesn't, I've tried :(

I've used a hellhound hull and tried to fit the gun. Theres not really the room and its to low. It really only looks plausable being supported by the front or back half of the hull.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any clearer picture (or I could go play with models again!). That would be a way to easily make one of the IFV's.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey, i looked out some stuff last night.  Looks like ill be drunk tonight (heres hoping!)  but ill be able to get some IFV photos and ideas up later tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Your list.
A Leviathan (which I hate the model of by the way) is equal to 6 chimera? Incidentally I think it should be the CI model and stats, but keep the name!

Command platoon overpriced somewhat (I'd say it was worth around 400, maybe 375 due to fragility, unless you really intend for them to go in the warengine).

Infantry - doubt you need the proviso. People don't take that much infantry with the current list.

Tanks - go on drop it to 625 like E&C says.

Arty - not going to have an Armageddon pattern Manticore? You could use the 1st ed model.

Small note, I'll be changing in future and you might like to too, putting all the navy in allies, including orbital support.

Hive militia should be called that, drop conscripts. No heavy weapon looks fine till you consider battlefield use. They become road bumps, popcorn for 10 for a 100 and a way to human wave the attacker. Maybe 30cm AP6+/AT6+? Definitively a bigger formation. Personally I would drop the infantry company and rely on these guys instead to increase flavour.

Arty - not using other types of arty like bombards?

Armoured fist - only for companies, what does it mean and why?

No fire support, interesting.

Russ Conquerors are not the equal of normal russ.

I would suggest using Mars pattern Demolishers.

Maybe have add three conquerors or mars pattern demolishers. Drop the standard Russ upgrade entirely and leave for other lists.

You forgot arm. pattern griffons.

Sentinels, would keep it at 4 as 3 is useless (one lost = break)

Would recomend the 45cm AP3+/AT4+ IC medusa unless you are after some kind of short ranged tank hunter.

Are Steel legion renouned for snipers? If not make 'em 1 for 25 points. Just simpler. If the infantry company comes out to be replaced with the hive militia maybe make it a compulsory mechanisation for them and maybe the infantry (so 175 for 6 infantry and 3 Chimera, 50 for 1 sniper and one chimera). Again spot of simplification and reinforcing the style of infantry in the list.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Small note, I'll be changing in future and you might like to too, putting all the navy in allies, including orbital support.

Why?

It loses out against every other Allies choice and will never be taken, no?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is it ever taken currently? At least this way it doesn't use up a support slot, and it is navy.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A Leviathan (which I hate the model of by the way) is equal to 6 chimera? Incidentally I think it should be the CI model and stats, but keep the name!

No. It's the Infantry plus Chimeras OR the Leviathan. The non-Mechanised Infantry Platoon as separate Formation has the option to be transported buy the Leviathan.

Command platoon overpriced somewhat (I'd say it was worth around 400, maybe 375 due to fragility, unless you really intend for them to go in the warengine).
See above. Could drop the price. Seems tobe that the Leviathan, might be overpriced too.

Infantry - doubt you need the proviso. People don't take that much infantry with the current list.
The Steel Legion is for themost part mechanised. The proviso os there to forbit an greater amount of foot sloggers.

Tanks - go on drop it to 625 like E&C says.
Why? Because it lost the option of having a Vanquisher? I'm toying with the idea of giving them a Exterminator as commands tank option instead.

Arty - not going to have an Armageddon pattern Manticore? You could use the 1st ed model. Could make it Armageddon pattern (so 5+ Armour) but i dislike the older model :)

Small note, I'll be changing in future and you might like to too, putting all the navy in allies, including orbital support.[quote]
I second E&Cs question: Why?

[quote]Hive militia should be called that, drop conscripts. No heavy weapon looks fine till you consider battlefield use. They become road bumps, popcorn for 10 for a 100 and a way to human wave the attacker. Maybe 30cm AP6+/AT6+? Definitively a bigger formation. Personally I would drop the infantry company and rely on these guys instead to increase flavour.
The formations name, Hive Milita, is ok but the unit for this formation should be a general one for all Imperial Guard armies. And that are Conscripts.

Arty - not using other types of arty like bombards? The bombard is open topped. So it's crew wouldn't survife for long in Armageddons climate.

Armoured fist - only for companies, what does it mean and why?
Because the Inantry Platoons are at maximim strength (1 Command Squad and 5 Squads) there should beno option to add further Infantry to them. So the Armoured Fist Upgrade is only for the Vehicle Companies to support them.
And it's a typo. The upgrades table should be labeled:
Steel Legion Core Formations Upgrades
(Three may be taken per Core Formation)

No fire support, interesting.
Yep. The Steel Legion uses no Fire Support Platoons. The only Fire Support Squads are used in the Command Platoon.

Russ Conquerors are not the equal of normal russ.

I would suggest using Mars pattern Demolishers.
It's faster. But i could split the prices.

Maybe have add three conquerors or mars pattern demolishers. Drop the standard Russ upgrade entirely and leave for other lists.
Mars Pattern Demolisher loks itneresting. So no Plasma Cannons but Heavy Bolters?

You forgot arm. pattern griffons.
I put it out on purpose because it is open topped. But Codex Armageddon expecially allows it. Soin next version the Girrfon will be back in with a 5+ save.

Sentinels, would keep it at 4 as 3 is useless (one lost = break)
The Formation is 4 strong. The Upgrade is 3 strong. Will delete "Squadron" from the entry in the uphrades section to make it more clear.

Would recomend the 45cm AP3+/AT4+ IC medusa unless you are after some kind of short ranged tank hunter.
I use the same stats for the Siege Gun as in the Minervan Tank Legion and Death Korps of Krieg lists.

Are Steel legion renouned for snipers? If not make 'em 1 for 25 points. Just simpler. If the infantry company comes out to be replaced with the hive militia maybe make it a compulsory mechanisation for them and maybe the infantry (so 175 for 6 infantry and 3 Chimera, 50 for 1 sniper and one chimera). Again spot of simplification and reinforcing the style of infantry in the list.
Hive Militia in Codex Armageddon and Conscript Platoon in Codex Imperial Guard have no acsess to Chimeras.
Chimeras aret compulsory for Snipers because so they have theoption to be attached to the non-Mechaninsed Infantry Platoon without the need to pay for Chimeras.
And no the Steel Legion is not famous for lots of Snipers as the Tallarns :) But they have them and i see no reason to restrict them more than regular Imperial Guard armies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use the same stats for the Siege Gun as in the Minervan Tank Legion and Death Korps of Krieg lists.

IIRC we developed those stats in tandem so that all three lists would have the same basic gun (The Krieg platform version can also fire indirect as the krieg platforms in IA:5 are allowed to do so).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next