Login |  Register |  FAQ

[Development] Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4

Post subject: Re: [Development] Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Regarding the Barrage Pods:
Skytalons have two pylons which may be equipped with any possible armament. In the 8th Imperial Armour book they come by default with Hellstrike Missiles, with the option to add Barrage Pods. So your question, "Should they have pods?", is backed by the background. In theory, they should. But either option taps in either the Valkyrie or the Vulture, dilluting their respective, dedicated role. I don't think it is a good idea to be able to spam even more BP either, with Hellstrike Missiles these fellas need to be more expensive (read: +50pts), too.

I see your proposal as valid from background, not from rules. I will add the option to add Valkyries instead of Talons, effectively giving you the choice to add "BP-transport" at 75 a pair (as they should be priced around 35 individually) or cheap (25pts for a Talon only armed with a Heavy Bolter - so similiar to a Chimera, loosing the Multi-Laser but gaining Skimmer and Speed instead.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I tried the list this evening. To be fair, this was played very relaxed, not tournament level play.
I used the following list:

425 - Airborne Regimental HQ + Vendetta (2) + Sentinels (Drop) + Sky Talons
400 - Airborne Infantry Company + Infantry Platoon + Vendetta (2)
325 - Airborne Ogryn Company + Vendetta (2)
175 - Sentinel Patrol (4x Drop) + Sky Talons
175 - Sentinel Patrol (4x Drop) + Sky Talons
125 - Sentinel Patrol (4x Support)
300 - Vultures
300 - Vulture Punisher
225 - Airborne Support Company
125 - Lunar Cruiser
150 - Thunderbolts
150 - Thunderbolts
150 - Lightnings

Their opponent was Chaos:
Retinue in Rhinos
Retinue in Rhinos
Retinue on foot with Supreme and Obliterators
Terminators with Obliterators
Chosen in Drop Pod and Dreadnought
Chosen with Rhinos
Raptors
Deathwheel
Decimator
Hell Talon Bomber
Spaceship
Pacts in every formation + some more from remaining pts

Game started with teleporting Terminators killing the Overwatch-Vultures and them getting destroyed by parts of the Catachan army. Overall I played fairly defensively, resulting in an Ogryn formation only used in Firefight for the whole game, so I can't really tell of they are bad or good or overpriced.
Vulture Punisher were surprisingly lethal and work pretty well together with the Lightnings.
The dedicated Multimelta formations did not play a vital role, neither did the support sentinels. Having two more scouts in the formation on the other hand is pretty nasty, enabling the army to close even more gaps here and there.
The Firesupport formation was really flexible, their small headcount felt kinda right, hitting a sweet spot.
Game ended on turn 4 with a 2-1 victory for Catachan, with Chaos struggeling for a draw in a very bloody game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nice heavy use of Navy assets

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I uploaded a revised PDF, thanks for the typo hunting!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's a pretty thematic list. Where'd you stick the political officers?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One in each Command stand plus one Multi-Melta Sentinel.

Big thanks to Norto! We are on Army Forge! http://adam77.github.io/snapfire/war/ch ... hans_NETEA

Going to test this out next time:
We are on Armyforge!, 3000 POINTS
Mobile Forces of Catachan (Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4.3 Developmental)
==================================================
--Core--
AIRBORNE REGIMENTAL HQ [350] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Supreme Commander, 3 Valkyrie, Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [250] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 3 Valkyrie, Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [400] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 2 Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta, Add six Imperial Guard Infantry units and 3 Valkyries

--Support --
AIRBORNE SUPPORT PLATOONS [225] 1 Imperial Guard Infantry Unit, 1 Imperial Guard Commander, 4 Imperial Guard Fire Support Units, Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta
SENTINELS [125] 4 Support Sentinel
VULTURE PUNISHERS [300] 6 Vulture Punishers
VULTURES [300] 4 Vultures
0-1 VETERANS [200] 8 Veterans

--Navy--
LIGHTNING SQUADRON [150] 2 Lightning Strike Fighter
THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [150] 2 Thunderbolt Fighters
SPACECRAFT [125] Lunar Class Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a Vassal game yesterday against Eldar. Here are the lists used:

Mobile Forces of Catachan (Mobile Forces of Catachan 0.4.3 Developmental)
AIRBORNE REGIMENTAL HQ [350] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Supreme Commander, 3 Valkyrie, Vendetta
AIRBORNE INFANTRY COMPANY [250] 7 Infantry Units and 1 Commander, 3 Valkyrie, Vendetta
AIRBORNE OGRYN COMPANY [425] 5 Ogryn Units and 1 Commander, 4 Valkyrie, 2 Vendetta, Add 2 Vultures
SENTINELS [125] 4 Drop Sentinels
SENTINELS [125] 4 Drop Sentinels
VULTURES [300] 4 Vultures
VULTURE PUNISHERS [300] 6 Vulture Punishers
0-1 VETERANS [200] 8 Veterans
SPACECRAFT [125] Lunar Class Cruiser

Biel-Tan Craftworld (Biel-Tan Craftworld (v4.2))
WRAITHGATE [50]
GUARDIAN WARHOST [150] Farseer, 4 Guardians, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform
GUARDIAN WARHOST [150] Farseer, 4 Guardians, 3 Heavy Weapon Platform
ASPECT WARRIOR WARHOST [350] 8 Shining Spear, 2 Exarch
SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [250] 3 Falcon, 2 Fire Storm
SWORDS OF VAUL TROUPE [250] 3 Falcon, 2 Fire Storm
VOID SPINNER [275] Void Spinner
VOID SPINNER [275] Void Spinner
WINDRIDER TROUPE [200] 5 Jetbikes, Vyper
RANGER TROUPE [100] 4 Ranger
RANGER TROUPE [100] 4 Ranger
WARLOCK TITAN [850]

Overall both lists worked pretty well, apart from me beeing super lucky with the Catachans. The Lunar destroyed a Void Spinner in cover, pinged the Warlock and a Falcon formation. After stalling the Warlock had to move up, catching 4 shots from the attached Vultures in the BTS formation. Three hits and three save rolls later, the Holofield was crit'ed away and the Titan lost 2DC. The Vulture formation shot down a couple of Falcons who used cover at its best, enabling only two of the Vultures to shoot at them, but still loosing two. The remaining Void Spinner failed to activate and the remaining, second Swords Of Vaul troupe only killed 2 Valkyrie units on an advance. I was a bit greedy and pushed forward one of the inf coys, killing two Rangers in cover, but beeing wiped out by a charge from the Shining spears out of the portal in a subsequent activation because I did not pay enough attention on that. More dice were rolled and at the end of the turn, the Warlock was down to 3 DC left, broken by beeing pinged from the AC and Sentinels and on the run. Catachans had lost one Lightning from AA, a couple of Sentinels and one inf coy. Eldar had a Titan w/o Holofields, two Shining Spears dead, one Void Spinner down, and a couple of falcon destroyed. It was not looking great for the Eldar player.
Turn two saw a triple activation from the Eldar player destroying much of the BTS-formation from the catachans with the badly hurt Warlock Titan, while he was just walzing in between two Sentinel formations on overwatch, desperately trying to do as much damage as possible before his inevitable destruction. Dice were rolled but neither the Melta Sentinel nor the Support ones could scratch him.unbroken but badly hurt the Ogryn BTS sat there. second retain was an two-turn engage from the avatar engaging a Valkyrie formation, which was possible because the guardians marched there, gambling on winnig the iniative to engage with the just spawned Avatar. After the first round of combat, the Avatar was just up two, but after the second round he was up 5 because not much was standing after two rounds. The third engage was a clipping engage from the gate with the jetbikes, targeting the suffering BTS formation. The jetbikes, having fairly decent dice, shredded the Commander and a Valkyrie in FF, doing just enough damage to bring down the formation for good. In return the Catachans destroyed the Warlock in a deadly crossfire, the Lightning destroyed the second Void Spinner, and the rest of the army tried to compensate for the loss of units. The whole army was starting to fall apart after another triple activation, removing more units and formations from play. At the end of turn two, the Catachans had lost their edge, many Valkyries only smoking wrecks. But the Eldar also suffered a tremendous defeat by loosing the anchor of thier army in the midfield, the Warlock Titan.
Turn three I teleported my Veterans on his Blitz, hoping to keep them there until end of turn. Scout and MW FF should be enough to keep a single guardian formation at bay, I hoped. Hoped. Because I cought a BM from teleporting, lost "Start of round roll" and got promplty wiped off the Blitz. The rest of the turn was fairly unspectacular, the odd unit moving here and there, trying to use the scouting sentinels to keep the remaining Eldar at bay. A failry good placed Falcon was just so in my way that I could not claim Defend The Flag, which would have won me the game.
Turn four saw us struggeling, with very small and immobile formations left. The Eldar player failing a crucial activation was a key here, because he could not clean off the four sentinels guard my Blitz. The dice were rolled on numerous ping-to-break attempts, but in the end I could not move my formations the way I wanted, partly because I was unable to activate/rally them, partly because of some pesky Eldar rangers in my way. In the end it was BTS for both parties, but I had only a single broken formation in his half because I could not zip through with my Vulture Punishers. I failed that rally, and with my supreme already dead the game was over 2-1 for the Eldar.

Conclusion:
The lists were both pretty strong, at least from my limited experience with Eldar, effectively shutting down my air assets. The support Sentinels were very handy and much more reiliable than the Melta ones. Veterans felt pretty good, maybe a bit too good, but I guess 200pts for 6up guardsmen is okish. The army in a whole was very strong in Turn 1, basically knee-cap'n the Eldar by nearly destroying the Warlock due to some very lucky dice. But after all the smoke and rockets of turn one, the Eldar could still swing back because I could not keep up the momentum - which was not a problem of the list itself but more a problem of loosing a couple of key engagements plus the odd error here and there. It felt strong and is definetly one of the stronger guard variants, I think. The psychological pressure of the Vulture formations is tremendous, especially if coupled with Lightnings, who are plain awesome. Don't want to touch their points nor profile because they are blatant copies from the UK though. Guess their main weakness, not having strong AA fire nor any AP shots kinda puts them back in balance.

Pic from EoG:
Attachment:
cat vs eldar t4_small.png
cat vs eldar t4_small.png [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 524 times ]

That makes BatRap 1 of 6 from me/my group!