Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Baneblade Test Thread

Post subject: Re: Baneblade Test Thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got a new Steel Legion battle report up here that includes a Baneblade company. Unfortunately the game ended prematurely but the Baneblades acquitted themselves well, killing an Ork Battlefortress with two Oddboy power fields over the course of two rounds of shooting.

First round doubled, shot at 60cm, stripped the two fields and did 1 DC. Second round sustained fire, killing the Battlefortress and two gunwagons.

The Orks didn't get much of a chance to engage it but the shooting they attempted couldn't scratch the paint.

Talking to the opponent during and after, he said the Baneblades felt menacing. Their slow speed made them a little less useful than a Leman Russ company would have been, but they did the trick supporting my midfield objectives.

That battle report also highlights another weakness, namely that adding a Hydra to a Baneblade Co. is an invitation to lose your Hydra.

I think the firepower changes worked well and I would use the company again.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GrimDarkBits wrote:

That battle report also highlights another weakness, namely that adding a Hydra to a Baneblade Co. is an invitation to lose your Hydra.

I think the firepower changes worked well and I would use the company again.

Just place the hydra within the SHT formation blocking it effectively from LOS due to baneblades being WEs. Also the rule states that you could single out WE in a formation. Bit I'm pretty sure there is nowhere a reference to singling out AV in a WE formation.

Have a batrep up in the eldar Ulthwe thread where I was using a single new layout baneblade with commissar that failed to hit absolutely anything with its complete set of weapons first turn and then spending the remainder of the game being broken. Hooray! ::)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Graf, you're right about blocking LoS using the Baneblades. I should have been more careful to do that. However, I don't think they would block LoS from the air, and when it comes to allocating hits, here's the relevant section of rules:
Quote:
If a formation includes both war engines and non-war engine units then an attacker must state whether any attacks he makes on the formation will be directed at the war engines or the other units in the formation. Attacks directed at the war engines can only be allocated against war engines if they hit, while attacks directed at other units may not be allocated to the war engines in the formation.

So I believe the opposing player could have singled out the Hydra during a strafing run.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@grimdarkbits: ah.. I stand corrected. I normally don't mix we and non we. Except for Orkz in a Landa for a ground assault. Yes, aircraft don't care about LOS.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GrimDarkBits wrote:
Graf, you're right about blocking LoS using the Baneblades. I should have been more careful to do that. However, I don't think they would block LoS from the air, and when it comes to allocating hits, here's the relevant section of rules:
Quote:
If a formation includes both war engines and non-war engine units then an attacker must state whether any attacks he makes on the formation will be directed at the war engines or the other units in the formation. Attacks directed at the war engines can only be allocated against war engines if they hit, while attacks directed at other units may not be allocated to the war engines in the formation.

So I believe the opposing player could have singled out the Hydra during a strafing run.

What if Baneblades were given a pintle-mounted AA6+ weapon and the critical hit adjustment? Basically a points reduction by way of saving you a Hydra.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18