Thunderhawk
Thunderhawk
Strike Cruiser
Tbolts

Biel-Tan

Webway
Guardians - wraithguard, wraithlords
Aspects - 8 warp spider, exarch, autarch
Aspects - 2 fire dragon, 6 dire avenger, 2 exarch (FD)
rangers (6)
rangers (5)
Falcons (2 firestorm)
Falcons (2 firestorm)
Void Spinner
Void Spinner
Vampire
Vampire

Assuming mike would try to hide units to avoid the drop and planetfalling sternguard, Dave positioned his deep striking units to go to the extreme flanks, unfortunately for him, Mike castled up on one side and managed to dodge the barrage and minimise the deathwind, some unfortunate scattering for the sternguard left them with partially obscured lines of sight to the falcon formations and they were unable to do more than place blast markers. Dave used his terminators and vanguard veterans to maul the BTS and wipe out the fire dragon/dire avenger formation, but crucially lost the strategy roll T2 which let mike double-retain with void spinners and infiltrating warp spiders, this left dave with very little on the ground and mike took it 3-0 T3 (BTS, T&H, Blitz)

More of the same thoughts, although Dave said if he'd won strategy T2 it would have most likely been the eldar on the back foot, further highlighting the 'rock paper scissors' nature of the RG list, when things go well, they go really well, when they go badly, they go truly pear-shaped..... Mike having seriously above-average dice for his armour saves didn't help matters either!

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Raven Guard Batrep #5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just out I of interest - and I realize this wasn't your game so you weren't in control - how much are you including in your drop, and what is your goal with dropped units? In this case, it looks like only the devastators are being dropped so only one death wind.

When I have dropped in the past, I have gone all out and dropped something like 1-2 tactical formations and a Devastator formation, so they can support each other.

(I've not used units with Ambush ability so don't know how that figures in. Do Ambush units get deathwind attack when they land?)

It is also not clear to me with this list (or any list, really), what is mounted up where, and what is the intended use of the thunder Hawks and storm eagle.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts, Ky.

Post subject: Re: Raven Guard Batrep #5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

generally if you drop multiple units you're either including a captain in there for a combined engage, or some of the units will have to weather the enemy counterattack before they get to activate which is quite the risk, I've only played against a heavy-drop list once in the last 5 years and beat it quite handily with my steel legion (although it was quite an inexperienced player using it)

I'll always drop a devastator unit, they can generally knock out/break small AA units which is the main role for them, if they survive the counter attack or get ignored, more's the better, they are there to disrupt your enemy as much as possible, ideally after a well planned drop you're hoping to have 3-4 formations with blast markers, and 1-3 broken from barrage, deathwind and devs, then at least another activation will be spent dealing with the devs

the sternguard with self planetfall were included to give some further deep striking options but without having to sit around after the spaceship did its thing, the RG list in general has lots of good-yet-fragile air transport options so you need to cut the opposing AA down drastically

in this list one thunderhawk took the terminators, the other took the vanguard vets and the storm eagle flew around shooting stuff

the ambushing troops don't get a deathwind but as they are self planetfall, they can arrive at any point in the turn, which gives you the flexibility to stall etc

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator